question

Michael Munn

Sent from my iPhoneWhen did you start using NVDA?
I start using this piece of screen reader in November of 2010.
What about you?

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Hi, I started with NVDA in Dec 2013. I put it on my system because I was going to use it for the trip to Vegas we were taking over Christmas that year. It has taken me almost 5 years to fully make the switch, though.

David Moore

Hi!

I started using NVDA over 30 percent of the time in March, 2015.

I had used it some clear back in 2007, and I used on a library computer at Ohio state University in 2008.

Now, I use NVDA at least 90 percent of the time, and I use it in situations that I never thought I would use it in.

Thank you for this community, and making NVDA and all add-ons what it is today!

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 1:41 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] question

Hi, I started with NVDA in Dec 2013. I put it on my system because I was going to use it for the trip to Vegas we were taking over Christmas that year. It has taken me almost 5 years to fully make the switch, though.

Sarah k Alawami

I started using nvda in 2010. I ditched the shark cold and made nvda my primary screen reader by the next day. I was and still am not good at using it but I can get around now that the laptop keyboard finally makes more sense.

Take care and love nvda.

On 19 Oct 2018, at 23:33, David Moore wrote:

Hi!

I had used it some clear back in 2007, and I used on a library computer at Ohio state University in 2008.

Now, I use NVDA at least 90 percent of the time, and I use it in situations that I never thought I would use it in.

David Moore

Rosemarie Chavarria

I started using NVDA full-time in 2011 because I could no longer afford the Jaws upgrades. I haven't looked back.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:51 AM

I started using nvda in 2010. I ditched the shark cold and made nvda my primary screen reader by the next day. I was and still am not good at using it but I can get around now that the laptop keyboard finally makes more sense.

Take care and love nvda.

Hi!

David Moore

Clare Page <clare.page@...>

Hi !

I started using NVDA most of the time in the second half of 2010, as the XP computer I had back then had power issues and NVDA used less resources than JAWS. When I replaced my XP computer with the Windows 7 laptop I am still using as I write this, my JAWS was too old for Windows 7 and I couldn’t afford to upgrade JAWS, so for nearly eight years now I have been using NVDA full-time. I used to say that I would probably use JAWS again if it’s needed for a job, but, now that I am unlikely to find a job, I expect to only use NVDA, which gets better and better every year, in my opinion.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria
Sent: samedi 20 octobre 2018 18:54

I started using NVDA full-time in 2011 because I could no longer afford the Jaws upgrades. I haven't looked back.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sarah k Alawami

Take care and love nvda.

Hi!

David Moore

Michael Munn

On Oct 21, 2018, at 7:36 AM, Clare Page <clare.page@...> wrote:

Hi !

I started using NVDA most of the time in the second half of 2010, as the XP computer I had back then had power issues and NVDA used less resources than JAWS. When I replaced my XP computer with the Windows 7 laptop I am still using as I write this, my JAWS was too old for Windows 7 and I couldn’t afford to upgrade JAWS, so for nearly eight years now I have been using NVDA full-time. I used to say that I would probably use JAWS again if it’s needed for a job, but, now that I am unlikely to find a job, I expect to only use NVDA, which gets better and better every year, in my opinion.

Bye for now!

From Clare

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rosemarie Chavarria

Take care and love nvda.

Hi!

David Moore

The reason I'm asking this question is because there are a lots of screen readers out there to choose from many of you choose NVDA over Jaws. 
I really want to know why. 
Now I got my answer now. 
All comments and feedbacks are more then welcome to come in. 
Thanks all for taking your time to answer my question. 
Best Regards Michael Munn 

Sky Mundell

I have used NVDA full time since May 15, 2017. Great option!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Clare Page
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 4:36 AM

Hi !

Bye for now!

From Clare

Take care and love nvda.

Hi!

David Moore

Annette Moore

I started using NVDA earlier this year when I heard that Serotek may not be focusing much at all on System Access in the coming months and years, and that there was a good chance system Access wouldn't be updated at some point. Also, a friend of mine had been sort of gently pushing me to try NVDA. I'd had NVDA as a backup screen reader on my computer for years and used it in a pinch, but I really didn't know much about it and consequently was pretty intimidated at the idea of learning a whole new screen reader. I don't kno why, because I had to learn System Access at one point when I stopped using JAWS because I couldn't afford it. :) Interesting how learning one thing wasn't intimidating but the idea of learning yet another screen reader was. I bit the bullet, though, and learned it, and for the last several months, NVDA has been my primary screen reader. I love it!

Annette

On 10/21/2018 6:36 AM, Clare Page wrote:

Hi !

Bye for now!

From Clare

Take care and love nvda.

Hi!

David Moore

Michael Munn

Hi, I tried System Access before and I'm so so about it.
I don't enjoy it but I also don't hate it.
There are some feature in System Access that I like and there are some that I don't.
I do like the Docu Scan plus Program that shipped with System Access.
I don't like that System Access take a long time to download voices.

Annette Moore

There are some things about System Access that I still like and even miss, but one of the things I love about NVDA that System Access never had the ability to do is to be able to utilize a pronunciation dictionary and change up words that aren't pronounced correctly. Yes, Michael, you're right, the voices do take a while to download.

Annette

On 10/21/2018 12:53 PM, Michael Munn wrote:
Hi, I tried System Access before and I'm so so about it.
I don't enjoy it but I also don't hate it.
There are some feature in System Access that I like and there are some that I don't.
I do like the Docu Scan plus Program that shipped with System Access.
I don't like that System Access take a long time to download voices.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I actually switched to it fully this year. though I still use jaws when i need to tandem someone to fix a problem. where I can I persuade them to install NVDA and NVDARemote since it is much better for tech work than tandem ever could be.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 5:36 AM

Hi !

Bye for now!

From Clare

Take care and love nvda.

Hi!

David Moore