Winamp new version

Brian's Mail list account

I downloaded this but it fell over at install, claiming it could not open a file called elevator.exe fro writing. I ignored it, then it claimed the database of media was corrupted and although it played stuff the message went around and around. so I put the machine back to before the install, putting the old version back.
All was OK except for some level adjusting needing to be done in the volume controls for running programs dialogue.
So I suspect there is a bug in the installer, and a word of warning also, unchecki stopped it installing some other software as well, so be aware the latest archive has another payload as well as Winamp.

It may well be that if you completely uninstall Winamp and start again, it will be fine but there seems so little difference between the old latest and the new latest, I'm tempted not to bother again.

Last time I had issues with the detection of ram sticks as portable players and then winamp crashed, so I don't want all that junk again.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Gene

In what version of Windows?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 5:41 AM
Subject: [nvda] Winamp new version

I downloaded this but it fell over at install, claiming it could not open a
file called elevator.exe fro writing. I ignored it, then it claimed the
database of media was corrupted and although it played stuff the message
went around and around. so I put the  machine back to before the install,
putting the old version back.
 All was OK except for some level adjusting needing to be done in the
volume controls for running programs dialogue.
 So I suspect there is a bug in the installer, and  a word of warning also,
unchecki stopped it installing some other software as well, so be aware the
latest archive has  another payload as well as Winamp.

It may well be that if you completely uninstall Winamp and start again, it
will be fine but there seems so little difference between the old latest and
the new latest, I'm tempted not to bother again.

Last time I had issues with the detection of ram sticks as portable players
and then winamp crashed, so I don't want all that junk again.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

I received private correspondence from another member who's had problems with installing Winamp's beta, downloaded directly from the Winamp site.  I have to say that I suspect idiosyncratic issues with the Windows 10 (if you're using 10, otherwise whatever version you are using) installation on the machine.

I used NVDA during the install, and I have Unchecky on my system which runs Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1809 [yes, I got an early update that worked], Build 17763.  Here is what I encountered:

Dialog 1:  Opening Dialog, just hit the Next button

Dialog 2:  Install type (Standard versus Custom).  Unchecky, if you're using it, switches any installer that gives standard and custom options to custom, since if there is bundled software the only way it will be exposed for a user to choose or decline is with a custom install.  In the case of Winamp I can report that there is no bundled software, so if you wish to choose the standard install you should be safe.  That being said, you will probably not get the next dialog for choosing components you wish to install, so if you wish to pick and choose, keep/choose the custom option.  I proceeded with Custom.  Next button.

Dialog 3:  Install Location.  Uses the Program Files (x86) Winamp folder, which is precisely as expected.  Next button.

Dialog 4:  Choose Components.  Defaults to Full with all skins, visualizations, etc.  There are three other options to choose from, and no matter which you choose the component tree changes to indicate via checkboxes what components are/are not installed with that option.  You can customize any of them.  I just went with Full.  Next button.

Dialog 5:  Choose Start Options.  Has three checkboxes:  Start Menu Entry, Quick Launch Icon, Desktop Icon.
                Next button

Dialog 6:  This is the last true Winamp dialog, however, you will get another UAC dialog right after you launch Winamp for the first time just like you do when you launch the installer.  The only thing on this dialog is a checkbox asking if you want to launch Winamp when finished and the close (or maybe it was finish) button.

NOTE:  If using NVDA, pay attention to the rising beep indicator to determine when the install is actually complete.  The Winamp installer exposes each and every item during the install to NVDA, so it keeps reading and reading and reading well after Dialog 6 above has been presented and I have no idea how long this might keep going on as I stopped it about 30 seconds or so after I saw that the install had completed (and it did complete when the beep indicator tells you it did).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.

~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

Windows 7. The new version says its OK on 7, so its just too much hassle really.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 12:21 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Winamp new version

In what version of Windows?

Gene

Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 5:41 AM
To: nvda@groups.io

I downloaded this but it fell over at install, claiming it could not open a
file called elevator.exe fro writing. I ignored it, then it claimed the
database of media was corrupted and although it played stuff the message
went around and around. so I put the machine back to before the install,
putting the old version back.
All was OK except for some level adjusting needing to be done in the
volume controls for running programs dialogue.
So I suspect there is a bug in the installer, and a word of warning also,
unchecki stopped it installing some other software as well, so be aware the
latest archive has another payload as well as Winamp.

It may well be that if you completely uninstall Winamp and start again, it
will be fine but there seems so little difference between the old latest and
the new latest, I'm tempted not to bother again.

Last time I had issues with the detection of ram sticks as portable players
and then winamp crashed, so I don't want all that junk again.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

All true, except the uac screens do not appear for me as they are turned off.
However whichever mode I used, it got stuck trying to write to a file elevator.exe ie could not open for write. Despite winamp not being running on the machine in question at the time.
Of course going on made the error loop mentioned but opting to cancel left a non functioning winamp part of the old part of the new. So as I say I decided to go back to the old one.
I have a suspicion that my version of windows does occasionally get slow to allow writes to files for no known reason even crashing nvda after an update as the log file is not openable for write as its stuck in the windows rename function.

I also see the same when compacting emails in email software too, ie the file is in use by another program.
I tried turning off anti virus but no effect. Its an odd one but since I have an ssd drive, I doubt it has much to do with slow drives.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 3:39 PM

I received private correspondence from another member who's had problems with installing Winamp's beta, downloaded directly from the Winamp site. I have to say that I suspect idiosyncratic issues with the Windows 10 (if you're using 10, otherwise whatever version you are using) installation on the machine.

I used NVDA during the install, and I have Unchecky on my system which runs Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1809 [yes, I got an early update that worked], Build 17763. Here is what I encountered:

Dialog 1: Opening Dialog, just hit the Next button

Dialog 2: Install type (Standard versus Custom). Unchecky, if you're using it, switches any installer that gives standard and custom options to custom, since if there is bundled software the only way it will be exposed for a user to choose or decline is with a custom install. In the case of Winamp I can report that there is no bundled software, so if you wish to choose the standard install you should be safe. That being said, you will probably not get the next dialog for choosing components you wish to install, so if you wish to pick and choose, keep/choose the custom option. I proceeded with Custom. Next button.

Dialog 3: Install Location. Uses the Program Files (x86) Winamp folder, which is precisely as expected. Next button.

Dialog 4: Choose Components. Defaults to Full with all skins, visualizations, etc. There are three other options to choose from, and no matter which you choose the component tree changes to indicate via checkboxes what components are/are not installed with that option. You can customize any of them. I just went with Full. Next button.

Dialog 5: Choose Start Options. Has three checkboxes: Start Menu Entry, Quick Launch Icon, Desktop Icon.
Next button

Dialog 6: This is the last true Winamp dialog, however, you will get another UAC dialog right after you launch Winamp for the first time just like you do when you launch the installer. The only thing on this dialog is a checkbox asking if you want to launch Winamp when finished and the close (or maybe it was finish) button.

NOTE: If using NVDA, pay attention to the rising beep indicator to determine when the install is actually complete. The Winamp installer exposes each and every item during the install to NVDA, so it keeps reading and reading and reading well after Dialog 6 above has been presented and I have no idea how long this might keep going on as I stopped it about 30 seconds or so after I saw that the install had completed (and it did complete when the beep indicator tells you it did).
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in ignorance. Huge. We now have a country that can be told blatant lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.*

~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I always use the custom install and uncheck the visualizations, quick launch icon (which allows Winamp to appear in the system tray) as well as the modern skin support.  Modern skin support caused problems with accessibility with both JAWS and NVDA.

On 10/20/2018 10:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I received private correspondence from another member who's had problems with installing Winamp's beta, downloaded directly from the Winamp site.  I have to say that I suspect idiosyncratic issues with the Windows 10 (if you're using 10, otherwise whatever version you are using) installation on the machine.

I used NVDA during the install, and I have Unchecky on my system which runs Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1809 [yes, I got an early update that worked], Build 17763.  Here is what I encountered:

Dialog 1:  Opening Dialog, just hit the Next button

Dialog 2:  Install type (Standard versus Custom).  Unchecky, if you're using it, switches any installer that gives standard and custom options to custom, since if there is bundled software the only way it will be exposed for a user to choose or decline is with a custom install.  In the case of Winamp I can report that there is no bundled software, so if you wish to choose the standard install you should be safe.  That being said, you will probably not get the next dialog for choosing components you wish to install, so if you wish to pick and choose, keep/choose the custom option.  I proceeded with Custom.  Next button.

Dialog 3:  Install Location.  Uses the Program Files (x86) Winamp folder, which is precisely as expected.  Next button.

Dialog 4:  Choose Components.  Defaults to Full with all skins, visualizations, etc.  There are three other options to choose from, and no matter which you choose the component tree changes to indicate via checkboxes what components are/are not installed with that option.  You can customize any of them.  I just went with Full.  Next button.

Dialog 5:  Choose Start Options.  Has three checkboxes:  Start Menu Entry, Quick Launch Icon, Desktop Icon.
                Next button

Dialog 6:  This is the last true Winamp dialog, however, you will get another UAC dialog right after you launch Winamp for the first time just like you do when you launch the installer.  The only thing on this dialog is a checkbox asking if you want to launch Winamp when finished and the close (or maybe it was finish) button.

NOTE:  If using NVDA, pay attention to the rising beep indicator to determine when the install is actually complete.  The Winamp installer exposes each and every item during the install to NVDA, so it keeps reading and reading and reading well after Dialog 6 above has been presented and I have no idea how long this might keep going on as I stopped it about 30 seconds or so after I saw that the install had completed (and it did complete when the beep indicator tells you it did).
--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I uninstalled the old and installed the beta and so far it is working fine.

From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:41 AM

I downloaded this but it fell over at install, claiming it could not open a file called elevator.exe fro writing. I ignored it, then it claimed the database of media was corrupted and although it played stuff the message went around and around. so I put the machine back to before the install, putting the old version back.
All was OK except for some level adjusting needing to be done in the volume controls for running programs dialogue.
So I suspect there is a bug in the installer, and a word of warning also, unchecki stopped it installing some other software as well, so be aware the latest archive has another payload as well as Winamp.

It may well be that if you completely uninstall Winamp and start again, it will be fine but there seems so little difference between the old latest and the new latest, I'm tempted not to bother again.

Last time I had issues with the detection of ram sticks as portable players and then winamp crashed, so I don't want all that junk again.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Yes agreed. It may well be that a clean install might have fixed it, but considering the very few issues fixed that bother me, I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that it is being aa pain in the rear.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 12:18 AM

Hi Brian,

I always use the custom install and uncheck the visualizations, quick
launch icon (which allows Winamp to appear in the system tray) as well
as the modern skin support. Modern skin support caused problems with
accessibility with both JAWS and NVDA.

On 10/20/2018 10:39 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I received private correspondence from another member who's had
problems with installing Winamp's beta, downloaded directly from the
Winamp site. I have to say that I suspect idiosyncratic issues with
the Windows 10 (if you're using 10, otherwise whatever version you are
using) installation on the machine.

I used NVDA during the install, and I have Unchecky on my system which
runs Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1809 [yes, I got an early update that
worked], Build 17763. Here is what I encountered:

Dialog 1: Opening Dialog, just hit the Next button

Dialog 2: Install type (Standard versus Custom). Unchecky, if you're
using it, switches any installer that gives standard and custom
options to custom, since if there is bundled software the only way it
will be exposed for a user to choose or decline is with a custom
install. In the case of Winamp I can report that there is no bundled
software, so if you wish to choose the standard install you should be
safe. That being said, you will probably not get the next dialog for
choosing components you wish to install, so if you wish to pick and
choose, keep/choose the custom option. I proceeded with Custom. Next
button.

Dialog 3: Install Location. Uses the Program Files (x86) Winamp
folder, which is precisely as expected. Next button.

Dialog 4: Choose Components. Defaults to Full with all skins,
visualizations, etc. There are three other options to choose from,
and no matter which you choose the component tree changes to indicate
via checkboxes what components are/are not installed with that
option. You can customize any of them. I just went with Full. Next
button.

Dialog 5: Choose Start Options. Has three checkboxes: Start Menu
Entry, Quick Launch Icon, Desktop Icon.
Next button

Dialog 6: This is the last true Winamp dialog, however, you will get
another UAC dialog right after you launch Winamp for the first time
just like you do when you launch the installer. The only thing on
this dialog is a checkbox asking if you want to launch Winamp when
finished and the close (or maybe it was finish) button.

NOTE: If using NVDA, pay attention to the rising beep indicator to
determine when the install is actually complete. The Winamp installer
exposes each and every item during the install to NVDA, so it keeps
reading and reading and reading well after Dialog 6 above has been
presented and I have no idea how long this might keep going on as I
stopped it about 30 seconds or so after I saw that the install had
completed (and it did complete when the beep indicator tells you it did).
--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*/The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in
ignorance. Huge. We now have a country that can be told blatant lies
— easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the
covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on
September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five
minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you
have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole
country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors./*

~ Fran Lebowitz in /Ruminator/ Magazine interview with Susannah
McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

--
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Yes uninstalling completely using Revo, might be the way to go, but as I say, its not a major issue. I just wanted to warn others that some trouble had been experienced. I'd imagine using REvo to uninstall the old would force the new version to reindex instead of trying to use old files that might give issues as they did on my machine.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2018 9:34 AM

I uninstalled the old and installed the beta and so far it is working fine.
From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists@...>
To: <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2018 4:41 AM

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.