discord accessibility

Darren Harris

Hi all,

Has anybody tried to develop an addon for discord? It would be really handy if an addon could be developed as a lot of people use it now. Yes you can use it in a browser but I believe the app has much greater functionality.

Why develop an add on when built in accessibility is better? The developers are slowly, and I do mean slowly, working on accessibility fixes for screen readers. Contact them and let them know. An add-on can't be created from a totally inaccessible program, one NVDA can't even read. The tweet is below.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/867855637736116225?lang=en

Michael Buchan

Hi
  Although I do certainly agree that discord is working on bringing accessibility to their platform (take the IOS app as an example, where a bit less than a year ago you couldn't even read messages and now you can) I must admit, the fact that these features and fixes are getting implemented soooooo slowly warrants the creation of an addon. The fact that Discord is an electron app adds to this, as I imagine, though I could be totally wrong, that most of the information needed is already their, but it isn't exposed through the aria specification in any way, meaning an addon for NVDA to derive this information from what is given out is definitely possible.

  As somebody who loves python, loves open source projects, loves Discord and above all, loves NVDA, I've been meaning to look into addon development myself for a while now and I may use Discord as a jumping off point once I've figured out the ins and outs of developing an addon.

Kind regards,
MCB

On 22 Oct 2018, at 2:24 pm, Robert Kingett <kingettr@...> wrote:

Why develop an add on when built in accessibility is better? The developers are slowly, and I do mean slowly, working on accessibility fixes for screen readers. Contact them and let them know. An add-on can't be created from a totally inaccessible program, one NVDA can't even read. The tweet is below.

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/867855637736116225?lang=en

Well, really IOS app is totally inaccessible, yet, if you use the app on chrome desktop or chrome on IOS it is accessible in certain way.

Michael Buchan 於 25/10/2018 6:13 寫道:

[...]

You have a point, poster #3. I've been trying to get the developers to at least post accessibility updates, challenges, and the like, but things are moving sooooo slowly and, in some cases, not at all. It's a shame because while Slack is starting to become very accessible, everybody is moving onto Discord. Sigh. I love the idea of discord. I'm limited to slack though. Despite what many believe, many people still IM and email from a desktop.

well, discord is mainly a platform for gamer, isn't it? It seemed not a platform that will pay much attention to accessibility.

Robert Kingett 於 29/10/2018 23:04 寫道:

You have a point, poster #3. I've been trying to get the developers to at least post accessibility updates, challenges, and the like, but things are moving sooooo slowly and, in some cases, not at all. It's a shame because while Slack is starting to become very accessible, everybody is moving onto Discord. Sigh. I love the idea of discord. I'm limited to slack though. Despite what many believe, many people still IM and email from a desktop.

Tyler Wood

Hi,

I'm using discord reasonably enough. It does take some doing, but for what I do it's usable. Granted what I do is not all that much - I voice chat and text chat.

That being said, discord is *finally* taking accessibility seriously. Whether or not it's too late remains to be seen but recently, the mute and deafen buttons have finally gotten labeled, for instance.

Run the discord canary windows builds over at

https://discordapp.com/api/download/canary?platform=win

You'll get updates daily and, despite the slow progress of accessibility improving, it very slowly is.

Hope that helps a little.

On 2018-10-29 7:39 PM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
well, discord is mainly a platform for gamer, isn't it? It seemed not a platform that will pay much attention to accessibility.

Robert Kingett 於 29/10/2018 23:04 寫道:

You have a point, poster #3. I've been trying to get the developers to at least post accessibility updates, challenges, and the like, but things are moving sooooo slowly and, in some cases, not at all. It's a shame because while Slack is starting to become very accessible, everybody is moving onto Discord. Sigh. I love the idea of discord. I'm limited to slack though. Despite what many believe, many people still IM and email from a desktop.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Discord is a chat platform that can be used for gaming chat, but it can also be used for many other things. I know I myself have a server I’d like to join, but not until they make the improvements to the web interface as I’m really tired of installing clients for things lol.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I have no problem with discord either the web site or the application.  Admittedly, it takes a bit of NVDA cursor manipulation to get the chat info properly, but it does work.  Sure, it'd be nice to have the speech automatically read new text as it comes in, but it's still usable as is.

On 2018-10-29 7:39 PM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
well, discord is mainly a platform for gamer, isn't it? It seemed not a platform that will pay much attention to accessibility.

Robert Kingett 於 29/10/2018 23:04 寫道:

You have a point, poster #3. I've been trying to get the developers to at least post accessibility updates, challenges, and the like, but things are moving sooooo slowly and, in some cases, not at all. It's a shame because while Slack is starting to become very accessible, everybody is moving onto Discord. Sigh. I love the idea of discord. I'm limited to slack though. Despite what many believe, many people still IM and email from a desktop.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

Well that’s good to hear! I’ll go and join my server then!

Tyler Wood

Hi,

This can be done from within the discord client under I believe chat settings.

There is an option in there to read incoming chats using TTS as well as an option to select what channels get read. For instance, you can only have it set to read the currently displaying channel, which is what I have it set to.

I know that isn't optimal but it also shows up in action center when a message is sent, just like other options like zoom.

hope that helps

On 2018-10-29 7:39 PM, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:
well, discord is mainly a platform for gamer, isn't it? It seemed not a platform that will pay much attention to accessibility.

Robert Kingett 於 29/10/2018 23:04 寫道:

You have a point, poster #3. I've been trying to get the developers to at least post accessibility updates, challenges, and the like, but things are moving sooooo slowly and, in some cases, not at all. It's a shame because while Slack is starting to become very accessible, everybody is moving onto Discord. Sigh. I love the idea of discord. I'm limited to slack though. Despite what many believe, many people still IM and email from a desktop.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

OK will try that, thanks!

Sarah k Alawami

Actualy, I use it for just general chatter on my servers and support with some video software I'm playing with so no it is not just for gaming. I also have used it to get tech support on some products I have used in the past.

Take care

On 29 Oct 2018, at 17:39, Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William wrote:

well, discord is mainly a platform for gamer, isn't it? It seemed not a platform that will pay much attention to accessibility.

Robert Kingett 於 29/10/2018 23:04 寫道:

You have a point, poster #3. I've been trying to get the developers to at least post accessibility updates, challenges, and the like, but things are moving sooooo slowly and, in some cases, not at all. It's a shame because while Slack is starting to become very accessible, everybody is moving onto Discord. Sigh. I love the idea of discord. I'm limited to slack though. Despite what many believe, many people still IM and email from a desktop.

Discord has one thing interest me as a visually impaired, that is the integration of tts. Though I have not work out how to make it speak, but it seemed quite interesting.

Sarah k Alawami

I actually disabled all of that on my server. and disabled most functions except text chat, so no one will be able to I think use that to at least send tts messages or something like that.

Take care