NVDA and VirtualBox

Kelly <kelly@...>

Hi,

I recently tried NVDA with VirtualBox and found that the NVDA keyboard commands simply quit working.  Browsing the NVDA issue tracker, the closest issue match I found talked about VirtualBox crashing with NVDA back in 2015.  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4795.

I’m not finding things crashing at this point but NVDA doesn’t read anything as I tab and again all the keyboard commands quit working.

The earlier issue was closed as a VirtualBox issue.  My guess would be this experience I’m having is likely still from the same issues as caused the first to be closed.

What are the experiences of others here if you have tried VirtualBox lately?

Kelly

Jonathan COHN

At what point in using NVDA are you experiencing issues? Once a Virtual Environment is active all user interaction is usually expected to be controlled by the remote environment. Also, have you checked to see if NVDA is in sleep mode? It is possible thatsleep mode should be enabled when the window containing the virtual environment is active, but in fact all virtual box windows are causing the local NVDA to sleep.

Jonathan Cohn

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Kelly <kelly@...>
Date: Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and VirtualBox

Hi,

I recently tried NVDA with VirtualBox and found that the NVDA keyboard commands simply quit working.  Browsing the NVDA issue tracker, the closest issue match I found talked about VirtualBox crashing with NVDA back in 2015.  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4795.

I’m not finding things crashing at this point but NVDA doesn’t read anything as I tab and again all the keyboard commands quit working.

The earlier issue was closed as a VirtualBox issue.  My guess would be this experience I’m having is likely still from the same issues as caused the first to be closed.

What are the experiences of others here if you have tried VirtualBox lately?

Kelly

Kelly <kelly@...>

This is long before you get to any virtual environment.  This loss of functionality happens as soon as you open the VirtualBox user experience for machine creation and management.

Kelly

From: <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Kelly <kelly@...>
Date: Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM
To: "nvda@nvda.groups.io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io>

Hi,

I recently tried NVDA with VirtualBox and found that the NVDA keyboard commands simply quit working.  Browsing the NVDA issue tracker, the closest issue match I found talked about VirtualBox crashing with NVDA back in 2015.  See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/4795.

I’m not finding things crashing at this point but NVDA doesn’t read anything as I tab and again all the keyboard commands quit working.

The earlier issue was closed as a VirtualBox issue.  My guess would be this experience I’m having is likely still from the same issues as caused the first to be closed.

What are the experiences of others here if you have tried VirtualBox lately?

Kelly

John Isige

I'm pretty sure I recall one of the devs saying that you have to use the
command line to set up a virtual machine with it. I think at least one
of them uses/used it to test.

*From: *<nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf
of Kelly <kelly@... <mailto:kelly@...>>
*Date: *Sunday, October 21, 2018 at 4:35 PM