Sometimes I Can't Stop NVDA

Rechell Schwartz <rechell_schwartz@...>

Hello,

Is there anyway to stop NVDA from start announcing my emails when I am viewing a web page?

Also, when I switch to another web page, it still keep reading out the contents of the previous web page. What do I need to do to get NVDA to cancel the old context and switch to the new context?

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes sometimes it seems that nvda is reading an old buffer. I seem to think some recent work is going on in this regard actually, but normally, simply bringing up a menu, then cancelling it will wake up the new buffer. I'm not sure why this sometimes happens but suspect nvda is reading a large amount of text its already buffered for reading and has missed the fact that the text has gone as this is in the web page buffer, not the nvda speech one.
As for announcing about emails coming in, this is what segregated people might see in the tray or via a balloon or whatever alert type is used. I suspect that this can be turned off in two ways, You can do it globally in the settings of nvda, which in my view is dangerous, or in the software that is sending them, ie do not put alerts in ... add where according to the software here!

Dropbox is always doing this as its active all the time and if you have shared folders when somebody changes something on one of those you get an alert about it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rechell Schwartz via Groups.Io" <rechell_schwartz=glic.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 4:50 PM
Subject: [nvda] Sometimes I Can't Stop NVDA

Hello,

Is there anyway to stop NVDA from start announcing my emails when I am viewing a web page?
Also, when I switch to another web page, it still keep reading out the contents of the previous web page. What do I need to do to get NVDA to cancel the old context and switch to the new context?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

OK. How can I get to a new menu when NVDA is acting this way? I can't seem to bring up anything when NVDA is in this mode. For example, it ignore Insert + N, or even Insert + Q.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 12:08 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Sometimes I Can't Stop NVDA

[EXTERNAL]

Yes sometimes it seems that nvda is reading an old buffer. I seem to think some recent work is going on in this regard actually, but normally, simply bringing up a menu, then cancelling it will wake up the new buffer. I'm not sure why this sometimes happens but suspect nvda is reading a large amount of text its already buffered for reading and has missed the fact that the text has gone as this is in the web page buffer, not the nvda speech one.
As for announcing about emails coming in, this is what segregated people might see in the tray or via a balloon or whatever alert type is used. I suspect that this can be turned off in two ways, You can do it globally in the settings of nvda, which in my view is dangerous, or in the software that is sending them, ie do not put alerts in ... add where according to the software here!

Dropbox is always doing this as its active all the time and if you have shared folders when somebody changes something on one of those you get an alert about it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

Is there anyway to stop NVDA from start announcing my emails when I am
viewing a web page?
Also, when I switch to another web page, it still keep reading out the
contents of the previous web page. What do I need to do to get NVDA to
cancel the old context and switch to the new context?

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments
to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you.

Gene

I don't use Windows 10 but this doesn't sound like normal behavior.  It sounds like a buffer overflow problem to me.  What voice are you using?  Using a different synthesizer might solve the problem.

Gene

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 11:15 AM

OK. How can I get to a new menu when NVDA is acting this way? I can't seem to bring up anything when NVDA is in this mode. For example, it ignore Insert + N, or even Insert + Q.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io

[EXTERNAL]

Yes sometimes it seems that nvda is reading an old buffer. I seem to think some recent work is going on in this regard actually, but normally, simply bringing up a menu, then cancelling it will wake up the new buffer. I'm not sure why this sometimes happens but suspect nvda is reading a large amount of text its already  buffered for reading and has missed the fact that the text has gone as this is in the web page buffer, not the nvda speech one.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
From: "Rechell Schwartz via Groups.Io" <rechell_schwartz@...>

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.

David Moore

Hi!

I have had all of these problems on Windows 10 latest build insider, 18262. I have to keep pressing Alt+Ctrl+N a lot to restart NVDA.

On many websites, in the mail app, and many other places, it will keep talking, and I can do nothing at that point but press the restart command. Also, NVDA gets more sluggish in the mail app, and it will not open messages unless I press enter many times.

I just wanted to point all of this out!

I have tried many synthesizers, and NVDA has the same behavior.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 2:56 PM

I don't use Windows 10 but this doesn't sound like normal behavior.  It sounds like a buffer overflow problem to me.  What voice are you using?  Using a different synthesizer might solve the problem.

Gene

[EXTERNAL]

Yes sometimes it seems that nvda is reading an old buffer. I seem to think some recent work is going on in this regard actually, but normally, simply bringing up a menu, then cancelling it will wake up the new buffer. I'm not sure why this sometimes happens but suspect nvda is reading a large amount of text its already  buffered for reading and has missed the fact that the text has gone as this is in the web page buffer, not the nvda speech one.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.

Hi David,

Your tip was very helpful. I didn’t realize there was a command to restart NVDA!

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Moore
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 5:21 PM

[EXTERNAL]

Hi!

I have had all of these problems on Windows 10 latest build insider, 18262. I have to keep pressing Alt+Ctrl+N a lot to restart NVDA.

On many websites, in the mail app, and many other places, it will keep talking, and I can do nothing at that point but press the restart command. Also, NVDA gets more sluggish in the mail app, and it will not open messages unless I press enter many times.

David Moore

Gene

[EXTERNAL]

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.

David Moore

You are so welcome!

I could not use NVDA without that command at least three times a day!

LOL!

David Moore

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 5:41 PM

Hi David,

Your tip was very helpful. I didn’t realize there was a command to restart NVDA!

[EXTERNAL]

Hi!

David Moore

Gene

[EXTERNAL]

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.

Richard Wells

I think sometimes NVDA is barfing its keyboard hook. When this happens, I press WINDOWS-KEY+B, press N until I get NVDA and use application-key to bring up the context menu to quit NVDA and start it again from the shortcut, usually ALT+CTRL+N. Pressing this with key combination without first quitting NVDA will not recover the keyboard hook.

On 10/22/2018 11:15 AM, Rechell Schwartz via Groups.Io wrote:

[EXTERNAL]

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

does this stay the same after pressing alt+control+n to reboot NVDA?

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 10:15 AM

[EXTERNAL]

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.

Quentin Christensen

Is this just happening to those on the latest insider build?  (someone's comment sounded like that).

Could those having this issue please email me a copy of your NVDA log, ideally at debug level, after reproducing this issue?  Also, which version of Windows you are using?

Certainly, as everyone gathers, it's not the desired behaviour.  I haven't seen it here although if it's related to the latest Windows 10 build, my machine is currently waiting to install that.  The last insider build of Windows broke for me so I made it wait to update to this one...

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 2:22 PM Robert Doc Wright godfearer <godfearer@...> wrote:
does this stay the same after pressing alt+control+n to reboot NVDA?
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 10:15 AM

> OK. How can I get to a new menu when NVDA is acting this way? I can't seem
> to bring up anything when NVDA is in this mode. For example, it ignore
> Insert + N, or even Insert + Q.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail
> list account via Groups.Io
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 12:08 PM
> To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
> Subject: Re: [nvda] Sometimes I Can't Stop NVDA
>
>
> [EXTERNAL]
>
> Yes sometimes it seems that nvda is reading an old buffer. I seem to think
> some recent work is going on in this regard actually, but normally, simply
> bringing up a menu, then cancelling it will wake up the new buffer. I'm
> not sure why this sometimes happens but suspect nvda is reading a large
> amount of text its already  buffered for reading and has missed the fact
> that the text has gone as this is in the web page buffer, not the nvda
> speech one.
> As for announcing about emails coming in, this is what segregated people
> might see in the tray or via a balloon or whatever alert type is used. I
> suspect that this can be turned off in two ways, You can do it globally in
> the settings of nvda, which in my view is dangerous, or in the software
> that is sending them, ie do not put alerts in ... add where according to
> the software here!
>
> Dropbox is always doing this as its active all the time and if you have
> shared folders when somebody changes something on one of those you get an
> alert about it.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Rechell Schwartz via Groups.Io"
> <rechell_schwartz=glic.com@groups.io>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 4:50 PM
> Subject: [nvda] Sometimes I Can't Stop NVDA
>
>
> Hello,
>
> Is there anyway to stop NVDA from start announcing my emails when I am
> viewing a web page?
> Also, when I switch to another web page, it still keep reading out the
> contents of the previous web page. What do I need to do to get NVDA to
> cancel the old context and switch to the new context?
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> ----------------------------------------- This message, and any
> attachments
> to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and
> exempt
> from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
> the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
> distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
> sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
> attachments. Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> attachments to it, may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
> reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified
> that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of
> this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in
> error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete
> the message and any attachments. Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NVAccess 
Twitter: @NVAccess 

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

You have to admire the creativity of auto spell check sometimes, How a mis spelling of the word sighted, became segregated is anyone's guess.
Still it could have been worse, it could have put in a rude word instead!
grin. Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 5:07 PM

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

farhan israk

I started using Windows 10 in January, 2018. Since then I'm facing this problem. I don't use insider version. I use stable version of Windows 10 and regularly update it. Now I'm using Windows 10 1803. For this reason I use jaws. There I don't face this type of problem. But, I want to use nvda. How to send debug log?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 2:02 pm Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io, <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
You have to admire the creativity of auto spell check sometimes, How a mis
spelling of the word sighted, became segregated is anyone's guess.
 grin. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>

> speech one.
> the software here!
>
> alert about it.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
>
>
> Hello,
>
> viewing a web page?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Quentin Christensen

HI Farhan,

In Windows 10:
1) Press WINDOWS+E to open File Explorer
2) Press alt+d to go to the address bar (File Explorer has an address bar now)
3) type: %temp% and press ENTER (That's the word temp with a percent sign before and after)
4) In the folder that opens, look for "nvda.log" and "nvda-old.log"  they are your last two NVDA logs (or current and last if NVDA is currently running).
5) Copy whichever one has the relevant information and paste it into a message / add it as an attachment to me at info@... (you can reply here if you paste the text in the body, but if you attach the file itself, send it to me directly as you can't send attachments to the group).

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 9:47 PM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:

I started using Windows 10 in January, 2018. Since then I'm facing this problem. I don't use insider version. I use stable version of Windows 10 and regularly update it. Now I'm using Windows 10 1803. For this reason I use jaws. There I don't face this type of problem. But, I want to use nvda. How to send debug log?

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018, 2:02 pm Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io, <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:
 grin. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> speech one.
> the software here!
>
> alert about it.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
>
>
> Hello,
>
> viewing a web page?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--
Quentin Christensen

Official NVDA Training modules and expert certification now available: http://www.nvaccess.org/shop/

I am sending mine too since I had problems too.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Quentin Christensen
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 7:42 AM

[EXTERNAL]

HI Farhan,

In Windows 10:

1) Press WINDOWS+E to open File Explorer

2) Press alt+d to go to the address bar (File Explorer has an address bar now)

3) type: %temp% and press ENTER (That's the word temp with a percent sign before and after)

4) In the folder that opens, look for "nvda.log" and "nvda-old.log"  they are your last two NVDA logs (or current and last if NVDA is currently running).

5) Copy whichever one has the relevant information and paste it into a message / add it as an attachment to me at info@... (you can reply here if you paste the text in the body, but if you attach the file itself, send it to me directly as you can't send attachments to the group).

Regards

Quentin.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 9:47 PM farhan israk <fahim.net.2014@...> wrote:

grin. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> speech one.
> the software here!
>
> alert about it.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
>
>
> Hello,
>
> viewing a web page?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

--

Quentin Christensen

Richard Wells

I have seen this issue intermittently over the last three or four versions of Windows 10 and NVDA and I only use stable ones as well.

On 10/23/2018 5:47 AM, farhan israk wrote:

grin. Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

> speech one.
> the software here!
>
> alert about it.
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
>
>
> Hello,
>
> viewing a web page?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Sarah k Alawami

Since I don't have a shortcut on the desktop I just hit windows r, type nvda -r and it restarts with in about 2 seconds if all is well with my confuser. Lol!

Take care

On 22 Oct 2018, at 15:11, David Moore wrote:

You are so welcome!

I could not use NVDA without that command at least three times a day!

LOL!

David Moore

Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 5:41 PM

Hi David,

[EXTERNAL]

Hi!

David Moore

Gene

[EXTERNAL]

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Hello,

viewing a web page?

attachments. Thank you.