Request for comments: an audio backstage tour of Windows 10 App Essentials

Hi everyone,

As Windows 10 is being deployed around the world and universal apps are becoming more prominent, I thought it would be best to produce an audio overview of Windows 10 App Essentials add-on and to talk about what it takes to write app modules for universal apps. So I’d like to receive feedback on the following outline:

·         Title: Dive into the world of Windows 10, UIA and universal apps

·         Description: an audio tutorial providing essential information on Windows 10, UI Automation (UIA) and what it takes to make universal apps accessible and create app modules for them, using Windows 10 App Essentials add-on as a blueprint.

Topics:

1.       Windows 10 overview

2.       What are universal apps and a brief overview of Universal Windows Platform

3.       A crash course on UI Automation

4.       Your first app module for a UWP app

5.       Scenario 1: wrong labels for controls

6.       Scenario 2: locating objects

7.       Scenario 3: Events and custom routines

8.       Tips and recommendations to make universal apps accessible

The tutorial assumes:

1.       Windows 10 versions 1511 and 1607 (I’ll briefly cover version 1507).

2.       Knowledge of NVDA, especially NVDA 2016 series.

3.       Familiarity with object navigation.

4.       Experience with creating app modules and/or working with UIA controls are recommended.

Objectives:

1.       Be able to explain the following terms: Windows 10, universal apps, Universal Windows Platform, Windows Store, UI Automation, app module, object navigation.

2.       Learn to advocate for accessibility of universal apps.

3.       Learn to navigate and use universal apps more effectively.

4.       Learn to create app modules for universal apps (if desired).

5.       Understand the impact of code changes and advocacy on accessibility of a platform.

I’m also willing to host an online-based strategy meeting in October regarding the above topics.

Thanks. Comments are appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

I am finding a combined approach to tutorials more useful than a totally textual or totally audio one.
Some of the complex concepts are best explained with textual examples, while just basic descriptions are better in text.
I'm not sure how one would marry up such a presentation though.
This universal apps approach seems a new thing to me. I would suggest that its another buzz phrase invented by Microsoft to try to get everyone to work in the same way, which is no bad thing, but people who write software often work how they want to causing some parts of their software to work for us, and others not to.
Also things may be universal this year, but companies do tend to change the goalposts quite often as we know only too well.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

[...]

I fully agree with an audio tutoriel. I think tutoriels on text are
not so comfortable to read and understand what's covered their. So, in
my opinion, an audio tutoriel for that would be fine solution!
Sincerely,
Paulius Leveris

<bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>:

[...]

Devin Prater

I think we should have both, as I prefer text as I can read at high speed and just get the content, rather than listening to an introduction, and not being able to just consume the pure content.

Devin Pratersent from Gmail.

<bglists@...>:
> I am finding a combined approach to tutorials more useful than a totally
> textual or totally audio one.
>  Some of the complex concepts are best explained with  textual  examples,
> while just basic descriptions are better in text.
>  I'm not sure how one would marry up such a presentation though.
>  This universal apps approach  seems a new thing to me. I would suggest that
>
> its another buzz phrase invented by Microsoft to try to get everyone to work
>
> in the same way, which is no bad thing, but people who write software often
>
> work how they want to causing  some parts of their software to work for us,
>
> and others not to.
>  Also things may be universal this year, but companies do tend to  change
> the goalposts  quite often as we know only too well.
>  Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

Mallard

Yes, I agree... Let's have both, if at all possible. I prefer text, because I can copy it to my braille display and read it even away from the pc.

Thanks, ciao,

Ollie

<bglists@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>>:
> I am finding a combined approach to tutorials more useful than a
totally
> textual or totally audio one.
> Some of the complex concepts are best explained with textual
examples,
> while just basic descriptions are better in text.
> I'm not sure how one would marry up such a presentation though.
> This universal apps approach seems a new thing to me. I would
suggest that

> its another buzz phrase invented by Microsoft to try to get
everyone to work

> in the same way, which is no bad thing, but people who write
software often

> work how they want to causing some parts of their software to
work for us,

> and others not to.
> Also things may be universal this year, but companies do tend
to change
> the goalposts quite often as we know only too well.
> Brian
>
> bglists@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:bglists@blueyonder.co.uk>
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal email to:-
> briang1@blueyonder.co.uk <mailto:briang1@blueyonder.co.uk>,
putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.

information
>> on
>> Windows 10, UI Automation (UIA) and what it takes to make
universal apps
>> accessible and create app modules for them, using Windows 10 App
>> Essentials
>> add-on as a blueprint.
>>

>> Topics:
>>
>> 1. Windows 10 overview
>>
>> 2. What are universal apps and a brief overview of Universal
>> Windows
>> Platform
>>
>> 3. A crash course on UI Automation
>>
>> 4. Your first app module for a UWP app
>>
>> 5. Scenario 1: wrong labels for controls
>>
>> 6. Scenario 2: locating objects
>>
>> 7. Scenario 3: Events and custom routines
>>
>> 8. Tips and recommendations to make universal apps accessible
>>

>> The tutorial assumes:
>>
>> 1. Windows 10 versions 1511 and 1607 (I'll briefly cover
version
>> 1507).
>>
>> 2. Knowledge of NVDA, especially NVDA 2016 series.
>>
>> 3. Familiarity with object navigation.
>>
>> 4. Experience with creating app modules and/or working
with UIA
>> controls are recommended.
>>

>> Objectives:
>>
>> 1. Be able to explain the following terms: Windows 10,
universal
>> apps,
>> Universal Windows Platform, Windows Store, UI Automation, app
module,
>> object
>> navigation.
>>
>> 2. Learn to advocate for accessibility of universal apps.
>>
>> 3. Learn to navigate and use universal apps more effectively.
>>
>> 4. Learn to create app modules for universal apps (if
desired).

>> 5. Understand the impact of code changes and advocacy on
>> accessibility
>> of a platform.
>>

>> I'm also willing to host an online-based strategy meeting in
October
>> regarding the above topics.
>>

>> Thanks. Comments are appreciated.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Joseph

Pranav Lal

Dear Joseph,

Please create a text tutorial. You can then convert it into audio using synthetic speech. Your outline is fine. However, this material is technical and we will need to reference repeatedly. Sequential audio does not lend itself well to such a use case.

Pranav

Often, depending on who does the demo, you can find that you have issues with a particular accent of the presenter, also many people I've heard on web audio presentations run their synths at far too fast a speed for those who are not used to that particular voice, and indeed just have issues with the speed. Another issue is that familiarisation often can mean the demonstrator cuts off the speech part way through due to them knowing what is about to be said. It is quite difficult to avoid all these pitfalls.