NVDA Vocalizer lag and Windows 10 lock screen

Hi list,

When I use Vocalizer for NVDA, it always seem to lag when I first turn on my laptop. The voice I'm using is a premium high varient, so not sure if that is the cause; my laptop is pretty powerful with Intel Core I5 at 2.5GHZ, 8GB RAM.

Also, when I powered on my laptop, NVDA won't always announce the Windows logon prompt like it does in Windows 8.

Has anyone experienced the issues I mentioned?

Chris

It may well be that windows is still loading causing the lag if its working ok otherwise

When I use Vocalizer for NVDA, it always seem to lag when I first turn on my laptop. The voice I'm using is a premium high varient, so not sure if that is the cause; my laptop is pretty powerful with Intel Core I5 at 2.5GHZ, 8GB RAM.

Also, when I powered on my laptop, NVDA won't always announce the Windows logon prompt like it does in Windows 8.

Has anyone experienced the issues I mentioned?

Over time I have found it more and more difficult to predict exactly how processes are actually going to load and begin working under Windows.  So many factors are involved other than start-up order that this means very little anymore.

I think Chris is likely on to something in that NVDA is probably not becoming fully active until after the lock screen has been fully active for some time due to when it finally completes its startup process in the sequence of the full system startup.

Often I have found that computers seem to have the speed of the processor cores throttled back. At some, apparently arbiter level of processor load it then speeds up. Thus any kind of load has seemingly to be pretty constant to keep the speed up. In the end I opted to make the slow mode much higher speed, about 60 percent in fact, but on laptops this kind of tweak to extended power schemes tends to eat battery when you are not doing very much with it.
Obviously i do not know if this is the problem you are encountering, but it certainly does slug u the response of the spoken explorer file against the one really highlighted on screen, often meaning you are copying the incorrect file completely.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

When I use Vocalizer for NVDA, it always seem to lag when I first turn on my laptop. The voice I'm using is a premium high varient, so not sure if that is the cause; my laptop is pretty powerful with Intel Core I5 at 2.5GHZ, 8GB RAM.

Also, when I powered on my laptop, NVDA won't always announce the Windows logon prompt like it does in Windows 8.

Has anyone experienced the issues I mentioned?

In windows 10 and I think 7 and 8 the windows sound plays when its really finished loading start up items, not as in xp when the desktop icons are loaded. However programs like google drive and dropbox can use significant amounts of processor after this point as they have to load to find out if they eed to download uplod or what, so never be too hasty. The log in screen issue was fixed I thought in the latest nvda. I do not have a log in screen, but I can hear it pass by now as it momentarily displays.
On a laptop the log back in screen after some inactivity now seems to work rather well, though there is still a small lag when a key is first pressed.

From: Supanut Leepaisomboon

From my experiment, I found that if I switch to Espeak, the lag seems to have disappeared, but only after I restarted NVDA or my laptop. Then Vocalizer won't lag anymore after I switch back to Vocalizer. But NVDA still does not read the logon prompt from time to time.

From my tests, after I switch to Espeak and either restart NVDA or my laptop, the lag disappears, even after I switch back to Vocalizer. As long as I switch back to Espeak before turning off my laptop, the lag won't occur.