Switching from Desktop to Laptop Keyboard

Rechell Schwartz <rechell_schwartz@...>

Hello,

I have been using NVDA on a laptop that is connected to an external keyboard.

I need to temporarily travel, and will need to use the native laptop keyboard.

Am I need to go through a complete learning curve again ( I see from the user’s guide that many of the commands are different) or is there nay workaround or tips on this?

Thanks,

Rechell Schwartz

Guardian Life Insurance Companyn

IT - BTS Group UI/UX

(212)919-3853

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. Thank you.

Rechell,

           What is the make & model of the laptop?   You should only need to switch to laptop layout if it's a smaller/older laptop that does not have a numberpad as part of the built-in keyboard.  You also have the option of acquiring an external numberpad, and they're cheap and small, if you want some thing portable for travel and happen to have a laptop sans number pad on the keyboard.

Most commands that uses Numpad are shifted to main keyboard area on laptop layout. In a way, the laptop layo8ut commands makes slightly more sense (especially object navigation commands, but that’s a bit ahead of the story at the moment).

Speaking of commands, tasks and what not: if I’m not mistaken, based on conversations we had so far, I think you’re having a conflict between an important task or two at hand and suddenly being thrusted into a new screen reader world. Am I correct? If yes, I advise focusing more on the task at hand and how to accomplish it using concepts and commands more than keyboard layout.

To others: some of you might say that it is important to teach people how to use screen readers and commands. I’d argue that, sometimes it is better to let people focus on their work more than the technology that gives them access to information on screen. For this reason, a screen reader expert (or a prospective one) must not only become a teacher, but also a counsellor willing to listen, diagnose, and offer pragmatic solutions that fits the context at hand. Many expert certification programs (including the one offered by NV Access) tells you how things work and what to do for given situations (or simulations), but they won’t teach you how to become a good listener and diagnosing issues beyond the technology they’re teaching; becoming a good listener and able to recognize, diagnose, and offer solutions and advice for issues beyond NVDA takes time to master (and even if we try to teach uniformity, people have different worldviews within their minds and souls).

I may need to devote an entire thread regarding what it truly means to be an NVDA expert and influential add-on developer…

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Joseph,

          Not that all you say is not true, but given the dearth of information we have about the actual hardware being used Ms. Schwartz may be putting the proverbial cart before the horse.  I know a lot of folks who have laptops that, when using them "as though they were a desktop," elect to use and external keyboard (and mouse, where appropriate).   In the case of some of my screen reader users (JAWS or NVDA) they simply presume that if they drop the external keyboard that they must switch to laptop keyboard layout.  That is generally not the case unless one has a netbook, or similar, where the number pad is not a part of the keyboard.  Since I know of relatively few people who have laptops smaller than a 15" screen, they generally have a number pad on their keyboard.

           I just wanted to point out that if the laptop has a number pad as part of its keyboard there is no need to go to laptop layout.  I've never used laptop layout in either NVDA or JAWS and all I use are laptops with their native keyboards.

Just get a USB numpad and you can use the desktop layout, which you are using.  I vigorously dislike the laptop layout.  The desktop layout has consistent patterns in its layout, the laptop layout has a much less consistent layout.

Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2018 10:01 AM

[...]

Hi,

This works if the laptop keyboard has an embedded numpad. I know at least one brand that doesn’t even include an embedded numpad (ThinkPad is a notable case). I think, at this point, we may need more info from Rechell regarding what computer she’s got and tasks at hand.

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

I never use the dekstop layout and my lpatop has a number pad. I refuse to use the desktop as the keys are easier to reach and the configuration just makes more sense to me. The switch should be easy and the learningn curve is not that hard, if you practice.

On 23 Oct 2018, at 8:05, Brian Vogel wrote:

Rechell,

           What is the make & model of the laptop?   You should only need to switch to laptop layout if it's a smaller/older laptop that does not have a numberpad as part of the built-in keyboard.  You also have the option of acquiring an external numberpad, and they're cheap and small, if you want some thing portable for travel and happen to have a laptop sans number pad on the keyboard.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 12:37 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
The switch should be easy and the learning curve is not that hard, if you practice.
Speak for yourself on that count.

I have no issue with anyone preferring one layout over the other, and those who learned under and use the laptop layout (for whatever reason) tend to be driven crazy by the desktop layout and vice versa.

I have yet to encounter someone who doesn't find the learning curve maddening and long if they are forced to switch from one layout to another.

Chris

Same here, my laptop has a keypad also,

If you can get away with just using the desktop layout then stick with that option short term

I never use the dekstop layout and my lpatop has a number pad. I refuse to use the desktop as the keys are easier to reach and the configuration just makes more sense to me. The switch should be easy and the learningn curve is not that hard, if you practice.

On 23 Oct 2018, at 8:05, Brian Vogel wrote:

Rechell,

           What is the make & model of the laptop?   You should only need to switch to laptop layout if it's a smaller/older laptop that does not have a numberpad as part of the built-in keyboard.  You also have the option of acquiring an external numberpad, and they're cheap and small, if you want some thing portable for travel and happen to have a laptop sans number pad on the keyboard.

Sarah k Alawami

Nah I'm good. The keys really are easier for me to reach with my small ish hands and my long ish fingers. He less hand movement I need to do the better. I've ben on a laptop probably since 2002 and that's all I know. I've always had issues with desktop layouts and never ever learn them.

On 23 Oct 2018, at 10:23, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:

Same here, my laptop has a keypad also,

If you can get away with just using the desktop layout then stick with that option short term

I never use the dekstop layout and my lpatop has a number pad. I refuse to use the desktop as the keys are easier to reach and the configuration just makes more sense to me. The switch should be easy and the learningn curve is not that hard, if you practice.

On 23 Oct 2018, at 8:05, Brian Vogel wrote:

Rechell,

           What is the make & model of the laptop?   You should only need to switch to laptop layout if it's a smaller/older laptop that does not have a numberpad as part of the built-in keyboard.  You also have the option of acquiring an external numberpad, and they're cheap and small, if you want some thing portable for travel and happen to have a laptop sans number pad on the keyboard.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Each to their own we are all different.

I did try the laptop on a machine we have that logs in postal wallets, but as I use a desktop at home it just confused the heck out of my brain!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I never use the dekstop layout and my lpatop has a number pad. I refuse
to use the desktop as the keys are easier to reach and the configuration
just makes more sense to me. The switch should be easy and the
learningn curve is not that hard, if you practice.

On 23 Oct 2018, at 8:05, Brian Vogel wrote:

Rechell,

What is the make & model of the laptop? You
should only need to switch to laptop layout if it's a smaller/older
laptop that does not have a numberpad as part of the built-in
keyboard. You also have the option of acquiring an external
numberpad, and they're cheap and small, if you want some thing
portable for travel and happen to have a laptop sans number pad on the
keyboard.

*The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in
ignorance. Huge. We now have a country that can be told blatant
lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking
about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack,
on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and
five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq —
how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable
fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.*

~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with
Susannah McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It is definitely hard to put yourself in somebody elses shoes and if you like, see the wood for the trees without spending a fair amount of time with that person and that is sadly not always possible in these busy days. Its hard also to teach organised thinking. Many people are pretty random and do not look at what they need to do with an overview so they can work to a logical method that shows progress in the learning enough to not lose confidence that they can do it.

_____

----------------------------------------- This message, and any attachments
to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,
distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the
sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any
attachments. Thank you.

Sarah k Alawami

Tha'ts true I don't often have time to see the bigger picture. I learn what I can, and tht's pretty much it. I remember when I used to be someoen who coudl read a manual in about 3 hours and memorise everything about what ever it was when I was reading. Now not so much. Lol! Which is why I'm on this list. Hehahahaha.

Take care

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com>

[...]

Lenron

I adore desktop mode. It's what I started out with so I just stick
with it. Even when I am using a laptop I tend to prefer laptops with
the full keyboard. These days i hate that a fiar bit of keyboards have
decided that we don't need the aplications key anymore.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Daniel Damacena

Totally agree.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I adore desktop mode. It's what I started out with so I just stick

with it. Even when I am using a laptop I tend to prefer laptops with

the full keyboard. These days i hate that a fiar bit of keyboards have

decided that we don't need the aplications key anymore.

> Tha'ts true I don't often have time to see the bigger picture. I learn

> what I can, and tht's pretty much it.  I remember when I used to be

> someoen who coudl read a manual in about 3 hours and memorise everything

> about what ever it was when I was reading. Now not so much. Lol! Which

> is why I'm on this list. Hehahahaha.

> Take care

> On 23 Oct 2018, at 13:10, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

>> It is definitely hard to put yourself in somebody elses shoes and if

>> you like, see the wood for the trees without spending a fair amount of

>> time with that person and that is sadly not always possible in these

>> busy days. Its hard also to teach organised thinking. Many people are

>> pretty random and do not  look at what they need to do  with an

>> overview so they can work to a logical method that shows progress in

>> the learning enough to not lose confidence that they can do it.

>> Brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal E-mail to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee"

>> <joseph.lee22590@...>

>>> Hi,

>>> Most commands that uses Numpad are shifted to main keyboard area on

>>> laptop

>>> layout. In a way, the laptop layo8ut commands makes slightly more

>>> sense

>>> (especially object navigation commands, but that's a bit ahead of the

>>> story

>>> at the moment).

>>> Speaking of commands, tasks and what not: if I'm not mistaken, based

>>> on

>>> conversations we had so far, I think you're having a conflict between

>>> an

>>> important task or two at hand and suddenly being thrusted into a new

>>> screen

>>> reader world. Am I correct? If yes, I advise focusing more on the

>>> task at

>>> hand and how to accomplish it using concepts and commands more than

>>> keyboard

>>> layout.

>>> To others: some of you might say that it is important to teach people

>>> how to

>>> use screen readers and commands. I'd argue that, sometimes it is

>>> better to

>>> let people focus on their work more than the technology that gives

>>> them

>>> access to information on screen. For this reason, a screen reader

>>> expert (or

>>> a prospective one) must not only become a teacher, but also a

>>> counsellor

>>> willing to listen, diagnose, and offer pragmatic solutions that fits

>>> the

>>> context at hand. Many expert certification programs (including the

>>> one

>>> offered by NV Access) tells you how things work and what to do for

>>> given

>>> situations (or simulations), but they won't teach you how to become a

>>> good

>>> listener and diagnosing issues beyond the technology they're

>>> teaching;

>>> becoming a good listener and able to recognize, diagnose, and offer

>>> solutions and advice for issues beyond NVDA takes time to master (and

>>> even

>>> if we try to teach uniformity, people have different worldviews

>>> within their

>>> minds and souls).

>>> I may need to devote an entire thread regarding what it truly means

>>> to be an

>>> NVDA expert and influential add-on developer.

>>> Cheers,

>>> Joseph

>>> Thanks,

>>> Rechell Schwartz

>>> Guardian Life Insurance Companyn

>>> IT - BTS Group UI/UX

>>> (212)919-3853

>>>  _____

>>> ----------------------------------------- This message, and any

>>> attachments

>>> to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and

>>> exempt

>>> from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message

>>> is not

>>> the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,

>>> distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly

>>> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify

>>> the

>>> sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any

>>> attachments. Thank you.

--

Lenron Brown

Cell: 985-271-2832

Skype: ron.brown762

Daniel Damacena

I think you are right. To press shift + f10 is really annoying.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I adore desktop mode. It's what I started out with so I just stick

with it. Even when I am using a laptop I tend to prefer laptops with

the full keyboard. These days i hate that a fiar bit of keyboards have

decided that we don't need the aplications key anymore.

> Tha'ts true I don't often have time to see the bigger picture. I learn

> what I can, and tht's pretty much it.  I remember when I used to be

> someoen who coudl read a manual in about 3 hours and memorise everything

> about what ever it was when I was reading. Now not so much. Lol! Which

> is why I'm on this list. Hehahahaha.

> Take care

> On 23 Oct 2018, at 13:10, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

>> It is definitely hard to put yourself in somebody elses shoes and if

>> you like, see the wood for the trees without spending a fair amount of

>> time with that person and that is sadly not always possible in these

>> busy days. Its hard also to teach organised thinking. Many people are

>> pretty random and do not  look at what they need to do  with an

>> overview so they can work to a logical method that shows progress in

>> the learning enough to not lose confidence that they can do it.

>> Brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal E-mail to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee"

>> <joseph.lee22590@...>

>>> Thanks,

>>> Rechell Schwartz

>>> Guardian Life Insurance Companyn

>>> IT - BTS Group UI/UX

>>> (212)919-3853

>>>  _____

>>> ----------------------------------------- This message, and any

>>> attachments

>>> to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and

>>> exempt

>>> from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message

>>> is not

>>> the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,

>>> distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly

>>> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify

>>> the

>>> sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any

>>> attachments. Thank you.

--

Lenron Brown

Cell: 985-271-2832

Skype: ron.brown762

Lenron

if anyone knows of a keyboard I can purchase with the applications key
please let me know.

On 10/25/18, Daniel Damacena <danieldamacena.ma@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Gene

I suspect if you had been doing it as long as you used the context menu key, you would take it for granted.

Gene

I think you are right. To press shift + f10 is really annoying.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I adore desktop mode. It's what I started out with so I just stick

with it. Even when I am using a laptop I tend to prefer laptops with

the full keyboard. These days i hate that a fiar bit of keyboards have

decided that we don't need the aplications key anymore.

> Tha'ts true I don't often have time to see the bigger picture. I learn

> what I can, and tht's pretty much it.  I remember when I used to be

> someoen who coudl read a manual in about 3 hours and memorise everything

> about what ever it was when I was reading. Now not so much. Lol! Which

> is why I'm on this list. Hehahahaha.

> Take care

> On 23 Oct 2018, at 13:10, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

>> It is definitely hard to put yourself in somebody elses shoes and if

>> you like, see the wood for the trees without spending a fair amount of

>> time with that person and that is sadly not always possible in these

>> busy days. Its hard also to teach organised thinking. Many people are

>> pretty random and do not  look at what they need to do  with an

>> overview so they can work to a logical method that shows progress in

>> the learning enough to not lose confidence that they can do it.

>> Brian

>> bglists@...

>> Sent via blueyonder.

>> Please address personal E-mail to:-

>> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

>> in the display name field.

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee"

>> <joseph.lee22590@...>

>>> Thanks,

>>> Rechell Schwartz

>>> Guardian Life Insurance Companyn

>>> IT - BTS Group UI/UX

>>> (212)919-3853

>>>  _____

>>> ----------------------------------------- This message, and any

>>> attachments

>>> to it, may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and

>>> exempt

>>> from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message

>>> is not

>>> the intended recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination,

>>> distribution, copying, or communication of this message is strictly

>>> prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify

>>> the

>>> sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the message and any

>>> attachments. Thank you.

--

Lenron Brown

Cell: 985-271-2832

Skype: ron.brown762

Gene

Does it matter if it is a wireless keyboard or not?

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Lenron

At this point it doesn't matter, I will take what I can get. It's been
driving me mad trying to find one.