Topics

PASTEL

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

Andre Vosloo <avosloo1@...>

Hi Heaven

I doubt if it would.  Pastel in itself is not very accessible I handled queries like this before.  I Once tried Jaws on it and WE, no luck.  As I said the interface itself is not very user friendly for blind people.\\regards

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

Jaffar Sidek

I don't know if Pascal is, but Delphi, which is a dialect of Open Pascal can be made to be accessible

On 24/10/2018 12:45 PM, Heaven Botma wrote:

Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

Antony Stone

We are not talking about programming languages; we're talking about a financial
accounting application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_Accounting

Antony.

--
"Measuring average network latency is about as useful as measuring the mean
temperature of patients in a hospital."

- Stéphane Bortzmeyer

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

the original poster asked about pastel (like the chalk used to draw on sidewalks), not pascal (a programming language), and just for reference, delphi is *not* related to open pascal, it's it's own little versio of pascal, that several free pascal implementations have to screw up their own code just to support delphi conventions, it's all very irritating for the free pascal folks.

On 10/24/2018 9:36 AM, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

I don't know if Pascal is, but Delphi, which is a dialect of Open Pascal can be made to be accessible

On 24/10/2018 12:45 PM, Heaven Botma wrote:

Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Programme Co-ordinator | Program Koördineerder

20 Adderley Street, Worcester

T 023 348 7616 F 086 415 6835

www.innovationfortheblind.org

Jaffar Sidek

Right! And I am telling him that I don't know if software made with Pascal is accessible, but that programs made with another branch of pascal can be made to be so.  Is there anything wrong with that? sir?

On 24/10/2018 10:10 PM, Antony Stone wrote:
We are not talking about programming languages; we're talking about a financial
accounting application.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastel_Accounting

Antony.

On Wednesday 24 October 2018 at 15:36:17, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

I don't know if Pascal is, but Delphi, which is a dialect of Open Pascal
can be made to be accessible

On 24/10/2018 12:45 PM, Heaven Botma wrote:
Dear List

Does anyone know if Pastel works with NVDA, as it is a popular fincial
accounting application in South African businesses?

Thank you.

Kind regards

Heaven Botma

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear André

Thank you for your answer.

I wonder if anything has changed in the interim, as I have found a few programmes which are inaccessible with JAWS and which are workable with NVDA and vice versa.  Take MS Access for instance, JAWS reads very little, but NVDA reads more.

What would be the best way to test Pastel (the financial programme) to see if anything has changed?  I am asking, as I know people who use Pastel for accounting on a daily bases.

[...]

So, are you saying that you know that the Pastel accounting software is
written in (some dialect of) the Pascal language? How do you know?

Even if this is true, then presumably only the developers of the application
could "make it more accessible"; there's nothing the end-user can do.

Alternatively, maybe you're simply making a comment about some programming
language, which has nothing to do with the original question?

Regards,

Antony,

On Thursday 25 October 2018 at 03:10:59, Jaffar Sidek wrote:

[...]

3 logicians walk into a bar. The bartender asks "Do you all want a drink?"
The first logician says "I don't know."
The second logician says "I don't know."
The third logician says "Yes!"

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi List

I have no idea which programming language was used to set up Pastel. I
think someone misunderstood my original e-mail and thought I was talking
about Pascal. I have no idea about Pascal.

My original question was whether NVDA works with Pastel (the financial
accounting programme) as this programme is widely used in South Africa. I
received a reply in this regard that JAWS did not work with Pastel so it is
doubtful whether NVDA will.

However, I am still wondering if anyone has tested NVDA with Pastel to see
if it does read anything in the programme.

[...]

Pastel has a very inaccessible user interface or rather it did 2 years ago when I tested it.  as you quite rightly say, things may have changed.  Maybe install a copy of NVDA then sit with the Pastel user and see if you can make any sense.

regards