Topics

NVDA and XP

Maurice Bell <itma-7@...>

Hello all,

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

hi.
i downloaded nvda version, 2016.3 last week.
install it and its great,
but unfortunately hangs for me specially in using potplayer.
when i want to play a file, after pressing alt+f4 nvda says unknown for me.
i should press its shortcut to work again.
fortunately, nvda supports windows xp service pack two until windows
ten right now.
i am advocate of xp and only use xp.

God bless you.

On 9/23/16, Maurice Bell <itma-7@outlook.com> wrote:
Hello all,

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Bob J

I don't know anything about "NVDA 12.1" but the most recent release of NVDA is version 2016.3 which works just fine on my WinXP machine.

Check the NVAccess web site for that one.

Bob

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

Maurice Bell <itma-7@...>

hello Bob,

I have installed the latest version, first as update and that was I lost
vertsion 12.1.

Will need to revisit this one, thanks for your reply.

Regards, Maurice.

On 24/09/2016 01:28, Bob J wrote:
I don't know anything about "NVDA 12.1" but the most recent release of
NVDA is version 2016.3 which works just fine on my WinXP machine.

Check the NVAccess web site for that one.

Bob

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

I've had no problems in xp but be aware some odd errors seem to occur with some add ons in xp but they can be hard to pin down. for example systray elements works, but causes anerror on exit from nvda.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

Gene

I have the Systray add on installed on two machines running XP and NVDA.  It produces no unanticipated or undesired effects. As I've said before, you can't generalize from one person's experience on one or perhaps two machines about the performance problems that may or may not be present in general.  You can only say that they are present in your experience as a single user on your specific machine or machines.

Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2016 2:53 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> I have installed the latest version, first as update and that was I lost
> vertsion 12.1.
>

> Will need to revisit this one, thanks for your reply.
>

> Regards, Maurice.
>

> On 24/09/2016 01:28, Bob J wrote:
>> I don't know anything about "NVDA 12.1" but the most recent release of
>> NVDA is version 2016.3 which works just fine on my WinXP machine.
>>
>> Check the NVAccess web site for that one.
>>
>> Bob

hi again.
i have xp, without any addon and nvda hangs for me many times.
for example when one program is not responding,
or when i open many tabs or one big document.
sometimes when one program is not responding, nvda becomes silent and
i should close and open it many times.
the best version for me was 2015.3 until now.

[...]

Well, its only on exit from nvda so maybe you have not noticed. You need to rrun a snapshot to hear the sound.

As its exiting, a slight delay in doing so is probably not going to be an issue.
[...]

Actually this is probably more to do with the way the other programs crash and lock up the processor time than nvda. I often find if you open task manager,w which might take a while you find nvda works inside it and a look down the list shows, for example firefox at 99 percent of processor usage.
Since the recent addition of the so called intelligent multi processor support in Firefox, I've noticed that this can happen on single core machines. It is hard to pin down though which is probably why it still does it occasionally.

XP has not got as clever a recovery routine as the later windows has either.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I
download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Gene

I run a snapshot just about all the time.  I do not have such a delay.  I'm saying that your results may be correct for your machine or machines but we have no way of knowing whether your results refer to a large number of machines or a small number.

> I have installed the latest version, first as update and that was I lost
> vertsion 12.1.
>

> Will need to revisit this one, thanks for your reply.
>

> Regards, Maurice.
>

> On 24/09/2016 01:28, Bob J wrote:
>> I don't know anything about "NVDA 12.1" but the most recent release of
>> NVDA is version 2016.3 which works just fine on my WinXP machine.
>>
>> Check the NVAccess web site for that one.
>>
>> Bob

hi.
the best version i am shure is 2015.4 and i came back to that version yesterday!

I run a snapshot just about all the time. I do not have such a delay. I'm
saying that your results may be correct for your machine or machines but we
have no way of knowing whether your results refer to a large number of
machines or a small number.

I have a XP computer on which I had NVDA 12.1, which I lost recently.

I have a download package from which you install, but after
installation, it just opens and closes, no speech .

A. any idea's why it will not install correctly and where can I
download
another software application package, as could not find version 12.1 on
the NVDA site.

Thanks, Maurice.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Gene

I haven't tried recent snapshots.  In a considerably earlier snapshot, I have no such problem related to the add on.  Whether those running recent snapshots do is something I have no idea about.

Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2016 11:11 AM

On 9/25/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I run a snapshot just about all the time.  I do not have such a delay.  I'm
> saying that your results may be correct for your machine or machines but we
> have no way of knowing whether your results refer to a large number of
> machines or a small number.
>
> Gene

I cannot really detect any difference on xp from my point of view.