From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2018 1:45 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] bug with new Windows 10 App Essentials

Running latest NVDA on Win 10 1809. Installed update to Windows 10 App Essentials and restarted NVDA as requested. After seeing this bug I did a reboot of my computer that did not change the problem.
Using Google Chrome in the past I could start Google Chrome type in a search and hit enter. I then could use the h key to move through the results. Now the only way to get to the results is to hit alt tab to get to it. I disabled the new Windows 10 App Essentials and it went back to what I had before.

Don H

So how do I send Joseph my debug log directly?

On 10/27/2018 3:54 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Okay, when I go to Google from Chrome 70 (with Windows 10 App Essentials latest version installed), after searching for something, I can press H to move between results (focus mode is automatically turned off).
You say disabling Windows 10 App Essentials resolves this? If yes, I need a debug log please.
Cheers,
Joseph

Running latest NVDA on Win 10 1809. Installed update to Windows 10 App Essentials and restarted NVDA as requested. After seeing this bug I did a reboot of my computer that did not change the problem.
Using Google Chrome in the past I could start Google Chrome type in a search and hit enter. I then could use the h key to move through the results. Now the only way to get to the results is to hit alt tab to get to it. I disabled the new Windows 10 App Essentials and it went back to what I had before.

Hi,
You can send him (me) a debug log directly via his email address (joseph.lee22590@gmail.com). Joseph says he prefers not to read debug logs in public due to possible private and sensitive information it may capture (because debug logs record keystrokes and what NVDA says).
Cheers,
Windows 10 App Essentials author (aka Joseph)

Running latest NVDA on Win 10 1809. Installed update to Windows 10 App Essentials and restarted NVDA as requested. After seeing this bug I did a reboot of my computer that did not change the problem.
Using Google Chrome in the past I could start Google Chrome type in a search and hit enter. I then could use the h key to move through the results. Now the only way to get to the results is to hit alt tab to get to it. I disabled the new Windows 10 App Essentials and it went back to what I had before.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes which is why I tend to edit any I send or make sure nothing personal is done during the diagnosis.

I think this point needs to be made that folk posting on a list like this need to check their logs for anything they would rather not share.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

This is one of the reasons why I always insist that, when sending a debug log here, copy and paste only the last error and its traceback information.
Cheers,
Joseph

Running latest NVDA on Win 10 1809. Installed update to Windows 10 App
Essentials and restarted NVDA as requested. After seeing this bug I did a
reboot of my computer that did not change the problem.
Using Google Chrome in the past I could start Google Chrome type in a
search and hit enter. I then could use the h key to move through the
results. Now the only way to get to the results is to hit alt tab to get
to it. I disabled the new Windows 10 App Essentials and it went back to
what I had before.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

However otherwise whole logs when you only need a bit of it is probably very handy for insomniac programmers, as they tend to send them off to the land of nod! :-)
[...]

Jacob Kruger

John, are you initiating a search from the address bar, or from the text box in the google landing page?

Instead of hitting alt + tab, what does it announce if you hit F6 once or twice, depending on which toolbars you have enabled?

I have just installed updates to win 10 app essentials, just fired up google chrome 69.0, typed a search in the address bar, hit enter, and, it had already focused on document contents, but, at times, when I enter other specific webpage addresses, I do use the F6 key to jump past bookmarks toolbar, and, landin the document itself.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2018-10-27 10:45 PM, Don H wrote:
Running latest NVDA on Win 10 1809.  Installed update to Windows 10 App Essentials and restarted NVDA as requested.  After seeing this bug I did a reboot of my computer that did not change the problem.
Using Google Chrome in the past I could start Google Chrome type in a search and hit enter.  I then could use the h key to move through the results.  Now the only way to get to the results is to hit alt tab to get to it.  I disabled the new Windows 10 App Essentials and it went back to what I had before.

Don H

OK I think I was the original person to bring up this issue.

I am running Win 10 1809 on one machine and win 10 1803 on another.  This bug happens on both machines.  I am also running the latest released version of NVDA, Win 10 App Essentials  and Google Chrome.  To cause this bug you must have the Show Bookmarks Bar enabled under the Google Chrome settings.

Here are the steps I take to have the bug.

I open Google Chrome.

I type in my search term or web address and hit enter

I hit either the h or k keys to try to review the search results or web page.

NVDA only says h or k for the key I pressed

I then have to hit alt tab to get focus on the search results or web page

I then can use the h or k key to review the results.

Hitting F6 once or multiple times does not resolve the bug

This bug did not occur with earlier versions of Win 10 App Essentials.

Don Hert

Quincy IL