Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 8:40 AM
To: NVDA
Subject: [nvda] NVDA and task manager

before moving to NVDA 20183.x If I deleted a task in task manager it would move me to the next task in line. Now when I delete a task focus moves to the "end task" dialog instead of staying in the list of tasks.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

The behavior of task manager is highly dependent on how busy your machine is at the time you end the task.  I've discovered that if the machine is running well, then  pressing alt-E for end task does indeed move you to the next task in the list, because it removes the one you're on.  However, if the machine is busy, then end task leaves the NVDA cursor on the end task column, and you need to tab 2 or 3 times to get back to the list of processes.  I'm guessing this is because whatever event NVDA triggers after pressing end task doesn't fire when the cpu is heavily loaded.  However, simply tabbing back to the correct column allows you to continue along as if it did operate properly.

On 10/29/2018 5:40 PM, Gene wrote:
It isn't clear to me what is happening.  When you press the end task button, the end task dialog comes up and asks if you are sure.  When you answer yes, that dialog closes and the task ends.  When do you see the dialog and if you respond, what happens?

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 8:40 AM
To: NVDA

before moving to NVDA 20183.x If I deleted a task in task manager it would move me to the next task in line. Now when I delete a task focus moves to the "end task" dialog instead of staying in the list of tasks.

If you have to tab back, how do you know the task has been ended.  You may be in the dialog because the task hasn't ended yet.

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 7:41 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and task manager

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 8:40 AM
To: NVDA

before moving to NVDA 20183.x If I deleted a task in task manager it would move me to the next task in line. Now when I delete a task focus moves to the "end task" dialog instead of staying in the list of tasks.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

It doesn't matter.  If the task ended or not makes no difference to you as a user, because you can't press end task a second time.  After pressing end task, the task either goes away immediately, in which case, you're dropped back on the list of tasks, or it doesn't, and you're left on the end task column.  Tabbing back to the task list may or may not show the task still, but it's immaterial, because clicking end task on it a second time simply gives an error, because the task manager has already scheduled the program for ending, so you don't need to worry about it, just move on to the next program you'd like to end.

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 7:41 PM

Sent: Monday, October 29, 2018 8:40 AM
To: NVDA

before moving to NVDA 20183.x If I deleted a task in task manager it would move me to the next task in line. Now when I delete a task focus moves to the "end task" dialog instead of staying in the list of tasks.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In windows 7 at least it can take some time for either the task to end or task manager to realise it and update.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-