Phonetic spelling again

Janet Brandly

Thanks for the info, Jean. I went through the users’ guide and the quick reference documents and didn’t find anything specifically about activating phonetic spelling. Is there a way to do this from a laptop without using a numpad? Where can I find this info in the NVDA documentation?
Thanks,
Janet

Gene

If you look at the quick keys reference, you will see that the information is organized as a table, with the desktop command and the other ways of issuing the command, such as the laptop layout command, given.  Did you turn the laptop layout on?  I really dislike the laptop layout.  You may disagree but if I had a laptop without a numpad, I would buy a USB numpad and use the desktop layout.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:35 PM
Subject: [nvda] Phonetic spelling again

Thanks for the info, Jean. I went through the users’ guide and the quick reference documents and didn’t find anything specifically about activating phonetic spelling. Is there a way to do this from a laptop without using a numpad? Where can I find this info in the NVDA documentation?
Thanks,
Janet

Janet Brandly

Hello Jean,
Thank you for responding to my email. When trying to find out how to turn on phonetic spelling, I did searches of both the Quick Commands and User Guide for the term “phonetic” and got an error indicating that the word could not be found. Is there another term I should have looked for?
I agree about using a regular versus an laptop layout.
Thanks,
Janet
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 1:52 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Phonetic spelling again

If you look at the quick keys reference, you will see that the information is organized as a table, with the desktop command and the other ways of issuing the command, such as the laptop layout command, given.  Did you turn the laptop layout on?  I really dislike the laptop layout.  You may disagree but if I had a laptop without a numpad, I would buy a USB numpad and use the desktop layout.

Gene

Thanks,
Janet

Gene

Look at screen review commands. 
If you are using the User Guide, read or look through 5.5. Reviewing Text. 

Near the beginning, you will see commands discussed such as numpad 8 for having NVDA speak the current line and you are told that pressing such keys three times causes the item to be spelled phonetically, in this case, the entire line.  To have a word spelled phonetically, its numpad 5 three times.  Character is numpad 2.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:05 PM

Hello Jean,
Thank you for responding to my email. When trying to find out how to turn on phonetic spelling, I did searches of both the Quick Commands and User Guide for the term “phonetic” and got an error indicating that the word could not be found. Is there another term I should have looked for?
Thanks,
Janet

Gene

Thanks,
Janet

Rui Fontes

Try "spell"...

Rui Fontes

Às 23:05 de 31/10/2018, Janet Brandly escreveu:

Hello Jean,
Thanks,
Janet
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 30, 2018 1:52 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [nvda] Phonetic spelling again
Gene
*Sent:* Tuesday, October 30, 2018 12:35 PM
*To:* nvda@nvda.groups.io
*Subject:* [nvda] Phonetic spelling again
Thanks,
Janet

Janet Brandly

Thanks Jean, I’ll try that. May also pick up on some other tips at the same time, lol.

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:21 PM

Look at screen review commands. 
If you are using the User Guide, read or look through 5.5. Reviewing Text.

Near the beginning, you will see commands discussed such as numpad 8 for having NVDA speak the current line and you are told that pressing such keys three times causes the item to be spelled phonetically, in this case, the entire line.  To have a word spelled phonetically, its numpad 5 three times.  Character is numpad 2.

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, October 31, 2018 6:05 PM

Hello Jean,
Thanks,
Janet

Gene

Thanks,
Janet