Topics

Automatically converting EPUB to EPUB3

Akshaya Choudhary

Hello group!
An NGO in my locality provides visually impaired people with free newspapers in EPUB3 format. They use a software called Calibre to download the newspaper and convert it to EPUB, it then has to be converted to EPUB3. It is her they face difficulty, they have to do it manually and they don't have the adequate staff. Can this process be automated? Can EPUB files be converted to EPUB 3 automatically?

All suggestion and shared experiences are welcome.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

I've never heard of epub3. If the files are already epub, why do you need to convert them to anything else? Epub files are perfectly accessible all by themselves.

But, to answer your question, as far as I know, it is relatively easy to get calibre to convert to any format you like by default.  Just set the epub3 to your default format, then any file you copy into it's startup folder will automaticlaly be converted into epub3.  It's been quite a while since I've played around with calibre, so I don't know the exact steps for setting formats and automatic conversions and such, but it is possible, and folks do this sort of thing all the time.

On 11/2/2018 3:49 AM, Sociohack AC wrote:
Hello group!
An NGO in my locality provides visually impaired people with free newspapers in EPUB3 format. They use a software called Calibre to download the newspaper and convert it to EPUB, it then has to be converted to EPUB3. It is her they face difficulty, they have to do it manually and they don't have the adequate staff. Can this process be automated? Can EPUB files be converted to EPUB 3 automatically?

All suggestion and shared experiences are welcome.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Antony Stone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB3

I'm not familiar with Calibre on Windows, but on Mac OS/X and Linux, it can be
used as a command-line tool, so these conversions could easily be scripted.

Antony.

On Friday 02 November 2018 at 16:43:38, Travis Siegel wrote:

[...]

Python is executable pseudocode.
Perl is executable line noise.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Mallard

Hello,

Yes, Calibre can be used from a command line in Windows as well.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 02/11/2018 16:52, Antony Stone ha scritto:
[...]

Travis,

epub3 is a special type of file, where you have audio and text that can be synched, for instance, for dyslexic readers.

I guess that's the reason why one would want to convert epub's to epub3's.

Ciao,

Ollie

Il 02/11/2018 16:43, Travis Siegel ha scritto:

[...]

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Antony Stone

So, if you're starting from ePub, which has only text, where do you get the
audio from, to "convert" this to ePub 3?

That sounds like more than just a conversion process to me - it's like saying
you can convert some (text) song lyrics into a karaoke file. Yes, there's
software you can use to do this, but it's way more than just a "conversion".

Antony.

On Friday 02 November 2018 at 18:12:43, Mallard wrote:

[...]

This email was created using 100% recycled electrons.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Mallard

Actually, I've never heard of teh possibility to convert epub to epub3, but maybe it's possible with a specific software, which would add audio from a synth. The problem, though, is that it should be synced as well.

But I have no idea how you do that.

Also because epub3 files are usually huge...

Now I'm curious, and I'll start searching to see if this is possible at all.

Ciao,

Ollie