a new modified nv-speech player

Josh Kennedy

Hi,

A few years back nv-access made an improved ESpeak that was called nv-speech player. Since then a few people have greatly improved it! I just tried it a few minutes ago and it sounds great! It sounds almost exactly like eloquence, sort of, or maybe keynote gold, kind of. There is other stuff on this site which I will not discuss for legal reasons. And please just ignore that other *stuff*. Just focus on the free nv speech player! First, the website with the modded and improved speech player stuff. Direct link.

http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/

Now here is my favorite version of the speech player addon modified by Jason bratcher. Perhaps, with this new speech player, someone can modify its intonations and make a keynote gold speech player voice? And give it more languages?

http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/Jason%20Bratcher_speechPlayerInEspeak.nvda-addon

more speech player voices.

http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/voices.7z

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

I've seen claims before about how improved versions of E-Speak sound like or almost like Eloquence.  I've never found it to be the case and I'm very skeptical now.  Your hedging makes me more suspicious.  Almost like Eloquence, sort of, is a very hedged statement.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 10:44 AM
Subject: [nvda] a new modified nv-speech player

[...]

I just tried the add-on.  I see no voice variatns, and it sounds nothing like Eloquence.  Also, the way many plosive consonants are spoken as a really annoying tinny sound.  I find this extremely annoying to listen to, such consonants as k or t are almost like clicks.  While the actual voices themselves have been improved in terms of sound, the accent and the plosive consonant problem causes the overall quality orf speech to be very poor.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 10:44 AM

[...]

Ann Byrne

So. I downloaded the Jason folder. What do I do next???

<http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/>http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/

Now here is my favorite version of the speech player addon modified by Jason bratcher. Perhaps, with this new speech player, someone can modify its intonations and make a keynote gold speech player voice? And give it more languages?

<http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/Jason%20Bratcher_speechPlayerInEspeak.nvda-addon>http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/Jason%20Bratcher_speechPlayerInEspeak.nvda-addon

more speech player voices.

<http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/voices.7z>http://grossgang.com/tts/speechPlayer%20in%20espeak/voices.7z

Sent from <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>Mail for Windows 10

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Might one ask a simple question here. if this is just work done on the original speech player somebody should encourage them to send it to the add ons people for review and possible inclusion in the add ons list as it is bound to need some changes to cope with python3 adoption and its far easier if it is a legal accepted add on.
Also might I say, I'm in no hurry to have an Eloquence myself, but if it really is not any copyright infringement of the current copyright holders, then all the more reason to shove it where its going to get most exposure. Also of course if its based on the older Espeak, its pronunciations will be better in English than the current espeak NG is included in NVDA, though of course you are going to have some reduction in performance as some new bits of nvda need more modern syynths to operate correctly. I use the speech player in Espeak but with my own Quincy voice which I have also now put onto the Espeak Sappi version and am using in Jaws.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

valiant8086

Hi.

I grabbed this, and my favorite configuration is the plain Klatt voice, with the pitch set to about 75%. I'm having a reasonably easy time understanding that configuration, with language set to EN-US.

Cheers:
Aaron Spears, A.K.A. valiant8086. General Partner - Valiant Galaxy Associates "We make Very Good Audiogames for the blind community - http://valiantGalaxy.com"

<Sent with Thunderbird 52.1.0 portable>
On 11/2/2018 11:44 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

[...]

Maybe the add-on by itself doesn't have a lot of voices that are available if you run something else along with it.  But as I recall, nothing is explained on the page.  I have almost no choices in voices and I'm just running the add-on.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 7:12 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] a new modified nv-speech player

[...]

Robert Mendoza

I grab this earlier and loving this so far.
I was saying with the Speechplayer in eSpeak
and max is the default voice much snappy of my choice.

On 11/2/2018 11:44 PM, Josh Kennedy wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure that my last comment in this thread is a question.  I installed the add-on but I only have four voices and no varients.  Does that mean I have to install other voices?  I'm going to look at the page again but I don't recall any discussion of that on the page.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 7:12 PM

[...]

I should have said I'm not sure if my last comment was clearly stated as a question.  I'll state the question in a clear way.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 7:12 PM

[...]

I'm not sure what happened last time.  I may have installed the wrong add-on.  But I double checked and installed the right one this time and I now have a lot of voices and variants.  My comments earlier should be disregarded because they refer to what appears to be an early version of the add-on which appears to be very old.  I may have downloaded it and forgotten about it a long time ago and installed it by mistake.

The new add-on doesn't sound anything like Eloquence and the accents and inflections aren't similar.  The american accent isn't at all American.  I'm referring to the English U.S. variant.  I'm not sure if its anything but it may be more a Scandinavian accent than anything else.  I tried the just plain English titled variant and, though the accent is different, it is somewhat similar and the inflection isn't correct in either.

I don't use E-speak and those who do may know how to set the old one so it sounds better than mine or they may be using a newer version that may sound better.  But comparing the add-on to what I am familiar with interms of the old earlier version and choices such as variants, the add-on appears to sound better than the old E-Speak in terms of voice quality, but I still don't consider it pleasant.  How much might it be improved?  I don't know.  We'll have to wait and see.

It may be a better choice for those who want to use E-Speak or consider it the best option they have.  I haven't heard a lot of the free synthesizers but it may now be in the range that many of them are.  But it doesn't compare with Eloquence or the old DecTalk.

For people who want a free synthesizer, it's worth trying and evaluating.

Sent: Friday, November 02, 2018 7:12 PM

[...]

George McCoy <slr1bpz@...>

I think there are 7 voices and 68 variants, Gene. I'm running windows 10. That shouldn't make any difference but one never knows.

George