Topics

NVDA no speech in XP

Maurice Bell <itma-7@...>

Hello All,

I have had to resort to the MInite web site to install NVDA 2016.3 on my
XP computer.

The only problem is that I have no speech.

I have speech with Narrator.

So what could be the problem.

Regards, Maurice.

Matt Turner

Hmm, do you get the sound when NVDA starts up?

Try pressing insert+control+r three times.

This will reset NVDA to its defaults.

On 9/25/2016 3:16 PM, Maurice Bell wrote:
Hello All,

I have had to resort to the MInite web site to install NVDA 2016.3 on my
XP computer.

The only problem is that I have no speech.

I have speech with Narrator.

So what could be the problem.

Regards, Maurice.

Kenny Dog <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi Maurice.

So NVDA is installed to the computer? When it is running does the nvda
icon appear down near the clock? if you check it with narrator?

If nvda is running you could also check the synth settings to see if the
synth is set to none. Use the nvda key +ctrl key + the letter S.

The default synth is the E speak one so when the dialogue come up if it
is set to no speech use the letter E to get you up to the E speak synth
then tab 2 times until you get to the ok button. Hopefully it will come
back that way.

it might be that you have turned off speech in nvda. If this is the case
or something has reverted it to no speech, you could try the following.

You could use the nvda key + the letter S to toggle between no speech to
talk. You will hear no speech, beep then talk.

You might of put nvda to sleep if this is the case to wake him up use
the nvda + shift key + the letter S.

This will take him if he is in sleep mode to sleep mode off.

On 26/09/2016 8:16 AM, Maurice Bell wrote:
Hello All,

I have had to resort to the MInite web site to install NVDA 2016.3 on my
XP computer.

The only problem is that I have no speech.

I have speech with Narrator.

So what could be the problem.

Regards, Maurice.

Arno Schuh

Hi,

do you run several soundcards in your computer? Soundcards also mean i. e. USB headsets, Bluetooth dongles that provides audio, a second, third physicdal soundcard etc.?
So probably NVDA uses a quiet soundcard.
I only run NVDA in German language so I can't tell you the right terms of the menues. In the main settings, open the first one (settings?), and than the second menue (Speech?) and tab for the list of available sound output. With cursor up/down you can change the soundcard your voice speaks through.

Yours sincerely

Arno

Hmm, how long is a piece of string. Can you run a portable version with it and does that speak?
I'm just trying to find out if maybe its set in the .ini file to a synth you do not have and hence nothing works.
To be honest, xp seems more reliable in this context as if you have phones working via usb in other versions of windows, it quite possible to get some sounds through one sound crd and some via the phones, but xp only has the one choice, the current output. If you get system sounds and no speech its got to be that its either set to no speech or a synth which is not working any more. remember that old hacked versions of eloquence have been stopped from working as apart from being illegal they can cause crashes.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-