NVDA navigating tab element in webpage

Mr. Wong Chi Wai, William <cwwong.pro@...>

Hi,
Some web page has the "tab" elements ,the following are two examples
In youtube, each channel, at the top there are four tab e.g. Video, playlist, etc like that one:https://www.youtube.com/user/Apple

also like the qtranslate page, there are few tabs like How to install dictionary?; What's new in 6.7.1? etc in https://quest-app.appspot.com/download

As far as I know currently NVDA do not have any keystroke to navigate to those tab element, isn't it?
Will there be any work on that?
Thanks.

Gene

How do you see these tabs?  Do you see them visually or using another screen-reader?  If I start at the top and move down the page you linked to, I see the following four links in this order:
Videos, Playlists, Community, Channels

You didn't list all the tabs but they sound as though they are the same as I see as links.  I see many sites with tabs, see the New York Times Home Page:
 and look rather near the bottom of the page.  At this point, I don't know if you are actually asking about tabs.  You may be asking about links that look to sighted users like tabs.  I'm not assuming you are doing what I will now discuss, but I'm discussing these matters because I don't know and to help others who may be following the thread.

Never believe or assume anything based on what you see.  Look at the site in detail before you conclude something isn't there and don't let a difference instructure fool you.  If you see something visually as a tab and you find a link with exactly the same wording, it's very likely the same thing but shown to sighted people as one thing and which a screen-reader sees as another.  Are these links what I think you are seeing as tabs?

Gene
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2018 10:34 PM
Subject: [nvda] NVDA navigating tab element in webpage

Hi,
In youtube, each channel, at the top there are four tab e.g. Video,
playlist, etc like that one:https://www.youtube.com/user/Apple

also like the qtranslate page, there are few tabs like How to install
dictionary?; What's new in 6.7.1? etc in
https://quest-app.appspot.com/download

As far as I know currently NVDA do not have any keystroke to navigate to
those tab element, isn't it?
Thanks.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

There are issues on the Amazon
alexa app for windows via a browser. Actually Jaws manages these a little better than nvda does. I've not investigated exactly what these tabs really are but they seem like some odd type of in page links.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 6:35 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA navigating tab element in webpage

How do you see these tabs? Do you see them visually or using another screen-reader? If I start at the top and move down the page you linked to, I see the following four links in this order:

You didn't list all the tabs but they sound as though they are the same as I see as links. I see many sites with tabs, see the New York Times Home Page:
http://www.nytimes.com
and look rather near the bottom of the page. At this point, I don't know if you are actually asking about tabs. You may be asking about links that look to sighted users like tabs. I'm not assuming you are doing what I will now discuss, but I'm discussing these matters because I don't know and to help others who may be following the thread.

Never believe or assume anything based on what you see. Look at the site in detail before you conclude something isn't there and don't let a difference instructure fool you. If you see something visually as a tab and you find a link with exactly the same wording, it's very likely the same thing but shown to sighted people as one thing and which a screen-reader sees as another. Are these links what I think you are seeing as tabs?

Gene

To: NVDA Groups.io mailing list email

Hi,

Thanks.

Of course I am talking about what NVDA report.
I can't see the screen at all, and rely only on NVDA.

Gene 於 5/11/2018 14:35 寫道:

How do you see these tabs?  Do you see them visually or using another screen-reader?  If I start at the top and move down the page you linked to, I see the following four links in this order:

You didn't list all the tabs but they sound as though they are the same as I see as links.  I see many sites with tabs, see the New York Times Home Page:
 and look rather near the bottom of the page.  At this point, I don't know if you are actually asking about tabs.  You may be asking about links that look to sighted users like tabs.  I'm not assuming you are doing what I will now discuss, but I'm discussing these matters because I don't know and to help others who may be following the thread.

Never believe or assume anything based on what you see.  Look at the site in detail before you conclude something isn't there and don't let a difference instructure fool you.  If you see something visually as a tab and you find a link with exactly the same wording, it's very likely the same thing but shown to sighted people as one thing and which a screen-reader sees as another.  Are these links what I think you are seeing as tabs?

Gene

Hi,

Thanks.

Gene

Your original message isn't clear.  It says:
those tab element,

Since you say that you can see the tabs, I suspect you are asking for a quick navigation key to move to the next tab.  But that isn't clear from your message and it might be read to say or imply that you can't get to or work with them at all with NVDA.  Please explain if you can work with the tabs now and if you want a quick navigation key such as is now available for buttons, headings, etc.

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 3:34 AM

Gene

Hi,

Thanks.

William,

On the YouTube page, once you land on the Home Tab (which also notes one of six in this case) left and right arrow moves through the available tabs and spacebar activates a given tab control.

I can't find what you're referring to on the second site.  "How to install dictionary" is a link that expands to a numbered list that I can navigate with up or down arrow keys or the I or Shift+I commands to move through list items.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.

~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

Sarah k Alawami

I know in the case of youtube at least on my mac voiceover reports the things as tab. I hear "playlist tab" etc. But you are right. Nvda or I don't jaws as well report those as "tabs" just links. So I think it is up to the user this time to know what's what and to use their web skills if they know how to navigate to the various parts of the web page.

On 4 Nov 2018, at 22:35, Gene wrote:

Gene

Hi,

Thanks.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
Nvda or I don't jaws as well report those as "tabs" just links.
NVDA reports these, clearly, as tabs.  I land and it's saying, Home, tab one of six, Videos, tab 2 of six, etc.  This is on the YouTube page, where they are tab "objects".

The same is not true on the other page where they are links, though for some reason they do say "tab" at the end of what's announced, though they are definitely not.  For the "How to install dictionary" it says, "How to install dictionary, expanded link (since I have it expanded), heading level 4, tab."   It may be saying "type," but it sounds more like "tab" to me.   The one that follows expands differently, into a search area for the language dictionary you're looking for.   In neither case are they behaving like true tabs which are what are presented on the YouTube page.

--

The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies — easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001 with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public? This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson jurors.

~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely (Aug/Sept 2005)

By the way, I'm using the latest NVDA and completely up-to-date Chrome browser for the testing.  All NVDA add-ons (though they shouldn't come into play here, I'd think) are up to date, too.  Reports I'm making are based on same.

--

Sorry for my poor English.
Yes, you are right, "I am hoping for I suspect you are asking for a quick navigation key to move to the next tab."

Gene 於 5/11/2018 18:11 寫道:

those tab element,

Since you say that you can see the tabs, I suspect you are asking for a quick navigation key to move to the next tab.  But that isn't clear from your message and it might be read to say or imply that you can't get to or work with them at all with NVDA.  Please explain if you can work with the tabs now and if you want a quick navigation key such as is now available for buttons, headings, etc.

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks.

Thanks, well in the second site, "How to install dictionary" NVDA reported it as heading, link and tab element as well

Gene

I checked using a much newer version of chrome.  The old version didn't report the items as tabs.  It showed them as links.  the very recent version does say tab for those items.  They are perhaps ten or twelve down arrows from the top of the page.  I tried pressing enter on one of the tabs and it changed the content on the page as it should have.  So the question being asked wasn't how to make the tabs work or whether NVDA would be upgraded to do so.  The question being asked is whether there will be a quick navigation key added so you can move by tab. 

When I saw the question I thought it was unclear because I didn't see tabs, but I saw links instead.  But the question is clear, though I think it would have been helpful to illustrate it by giving examples such as the move by heading command and the move by button command.  I'm sorry I misunderstood the question. 

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 4:11 AM

those tab element,

Gene

Gene

Hi,

Thanks.

Gene

No, your English was clear.  I misunderstood the question because I saw what you see as tabs as links when I look at the page with an older Chrome.  so I thought you didn't see the tabs with NVDA but knew about them in some other way. 

I'm sorry I misunderstood your message but it wasn't because of your language.  It was because I have seen tabs on other pages but I didn't on that one until I used a newer Chrome version.  Because I had seen tabs properly identified on other pages, I thought I would see them properly identified on the Youtube page, but they weren't.

So, since I didn't see tabs, I wasn't sure what you were asking for, though your language was clear.

Gene

Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 6:15 PM

Sorry for my poor English.
Yes, you are right, "I am hoping for I suspect you are asking for a quick navigation key to move to the next tab."

Gene 於 5/11/2018 18:11 寫道:
those tab element,

Gene

Gene

Hi,