Topics

Announcing ObjPad add-on, a more intuitive way to navigate between screen elements

Hi everyone,

One of the strengths of NVDA is superb support for object navigation. However, there were requests from people who wanted a more intuitive way to do this, including using just the arrow keys to navigate between objects, and since early this year, a way for NVDA to have something similar to scan mode in Narrator (Windows 10 version 1607). The wait is over: introducing ObjPad, an add-on that introduces more intuitive object navigation facility and basic implementation of scan mode feature, along with possibilities such as one key command to move focus to the current navigator object and more planned for the future.

The add-on (for now, a development snapshot) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/objPad.en.html

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ângelo Abrantes

I'm begining to work with the addon. I think that's a good idea.

If necessary, I can translate it into europian portuguese.

Ângelo Abrantes

Às 18:12 de 26-09-2016, Joseph Lee escreveu:

[...]

Avast logo

Fatma Mehanna

hi,
i have just used this addon and found a small notice:
sometimes i forget what mode i'm using, so i find nvda says strange
things not the strings i expect to be announced and i remember that
i'm in one of the addon modes :)
thanks.

On 9/26/16, Ângelo Abrantes <ampa4374@...> wrote:
[...]

---
Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo software antivírus
Avast.

Andre Fisher

There is no script documentation for the keyboard shortcut. Could one
be implemented, and placed in the Input gestures dialog?

On 9/26/16, Fatma Mehanna <fatma.mehanna@...> wrote:
[...]

Christopher Bartlett

What is scan mode?  I don't use narrator as a rule and am unfamiliar with this feature.

Chris Bartlett

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Andre Fisher <andrefisher729@...> wrote:
There is no script documentation for the keyboard shortcut. Could one
be implemented, and placed in the Input gestures dialog?

On 9/26/16, Fatma Mehanna <fatma.mehanna@...> wrote:
> hi,
> i have just used this addon and found a small notice:
> sometimes i forget what mode i'm using, so i find nvda says strange
> things not the strings i expect to be announced and i remember that
> i'm in one of the addon modes :)
> thanks.
>
> On 9/26/16, Ângelo Abrantes <ampa4374@...> wrote:
>> I'm begining to work with the addon. I think that's a good idea.
>>
>> If necessary, I can translate it into europian portuguese.
>>
>> Ângelo Abrantes
>>

>> Às 18:12 de 26-09-2016, Joseph Lee escreveu:
>>>
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> One of the strengths of NVDA is superb support for object navigation.
>>> However, there were requests from people who wanted a more intuitive
>>> way to do this, including using just the arrow keys to navigate
>>> between objects, and since early this year, a way for NVDA to have
>>> something similar to scan mode in Narrator (Windows 10 version 1607).
>>> The wait is over: introducing ObjPad, an add-on that introduces more
>>> intuitive object navigation facility and basic implementation of scan
>>> mode feature, along with possibilities such as one key command to move
>>> focus to the current navigator object and more planned for the future.
>>>
>>> The add-on (for now, a development snapshot) can be found at:
>>>
>>> http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/objPad.en.html
>>>
>>> Feedback is appreciated.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Joseph
>>>

>> ---
>> Este e-mail foi verificado em termos de vírus pelo software antivírus
>> Avast.

Christopher Bartlett

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Hi Joseph,

this is very niceley done and useful. I like to see the scan mode feature in NVDA.

Regards and many thanks,

  Ralf

One of the strengths of NVDA is superb support for object navigation. However, there were requests from people who wanted a more intuitive way to do this, including using just the arrow keys to navigate between objects, and since early this year, a way for NVDA to have something similar to scan mode in Narrator (Windows 10 version 1607). The wait is over: introducing ObjPad, an add-on that introduces more intuitive object navigation facility and basic implementation of scan mode feature, along with possibilities such as one key command to move focus to the current navigator object and more planned for the future.

The add-on (for now, a development snapshot) can be found at:

http://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/objPad.en.html

Feedback is appreciated.

Cheers,

Joseph

Dejan Ristic

I have not used the add-on yet. Will it make some applications more NVDA-accessible? For instance, will VLC Media Player be more accessible with it? If so, it is great.

On 9/28/2016 3:18 PM, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:

[...]

An addon can’t be better as what the screen reader itself can provide, but this addon makes it easier to handle the screen reader functions..