Topics

a very question about anti spyware programs and very critical issue for me!

hello every one.
two weeks ago, my computer files were incrypted and now, i lost most
of my valuable files and informations.
i have now many readme files that require me to buy the decrypter
software and my personal product key.

this ransomware is called cerber3.
it changed the name and extensions of my files, to the strange letter
and numbers with cerber3 extention.
could you please guide me which firewall can i use?

i need a free program, accessible with nvda, using less system
resources, without reducing the speed of my system and reading of
nvda, capability of hiding my Ip and informations from hackers, saving
my data from unwanted changes, incryptions etc.

i realy need your help and i am very worried for my data.
i use windows xp, but i want a software that supports all versions of
windows including 32 and 64 bit versions!
thanks extremely for your help and God bless you all.

holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Ho did this software arrive on your system. Was it one of those pop up download things that sometimes happen on normal web sites and a bit of a distraction makes you click the install button.
I've never had one of these myself since having ad block software on my browsers, but now you have it, unless somebody knows how to hack it, I'm sorry to say, you are probably stuck with it .
Best plan I can say is to go back to the last backup before this happened and then try to get the files from the original sources that you are missing.
As a matter of interest is this a known encryption program which is legitimate or just somebody's ransom ware.
I suspect the latter, but if not and they are approachable most companies will let you have a one shot reverser utility to back out.

Other than that most of the things you need to protect yourself are between your ears and not in software, I have found, sometimes to my own cost.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Gene

The Windows firewall is adequate, though you may want to run something else.  Ransomware is spread in the ways malware is generally spread.  A firewall will not stop you from getting it.  the question is, what did you do to get it in the first place and the other point is, you should have all files you don't want to loose backed up and stored somewhere not connected to your computer such as on an external drive not attached to your computer except when in use.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 6:48 AM

[...]

hi geen and brian.
thanks for your answers.
i think some pup up automaticly became active and infected my system.
i am shure that i dont open eligal sites, attachment of spam emails etc.

did you test comodo firewall or zonealarm free firewall to see?
i forgot to say i also want some softwares that blocks all popup from
my firefox.

On 9/28/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I doubt there is any way to keep anything from running automatically except to not allow scripts to run.  An ad blocker offers protection.  I don't know enough about the subject to know how much, but it may be quite a bit.  Nor do I have the technical knowledge to know if a firewall will stop the ransomeware from contacting its server to begin encryption.  In addition, I read about a new ransomware that doesn't need to contact the server to begin encryption.  If you want to use no Script (spelling) to block scripts that is one option.  If you want to turn off scripts in Firefox, that is another.  But you will still want to use scripts on some sites.  Some forms can't be submitted without scripts being allowed.  Most audio can't be streamed without scripts being allowed.  And there are many other sites that won't work fully without scripts.

Many sites may be useable for how you want to use them with scripts off but if your use of the Internet is at all typical, many won't.  The most simple thing to do might be to have two copies of Firefox on your machine, a portable version and an installed version or two separate portable versions.  You can have scripts not allowed in one copy and scripts allowed in the other.  Then you can switch from copy to copy without changing settings repeatedly.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:13 AM

On 9/28/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> The Windows firewall is adequate, though you may want to run something else.
>  Ransomware is spread in the ways malware is generally spread.  A firewall
> will not stop you from getting it.  the question is, what did you do to get
> it in the first place and the other point is, you should have all files you
> don't want to loose backed up and stored somewhere not connected to your
> computer such as on an external drive not attached to your computer except
> when in use.
>
> Gene

V Stuart Foote

Nasrin,

Was sorry to hear that you got clobbered by Cerber3 ransom ware. Suspect you picked it up via Its usual delivery as an exploit from a linked page from email message or when following a web page link.

The NoScript plugin for Firefox is pretty good for preventing delivery of the Exploit of the malware to your computer--just checked and it seems fully accessible in NVDA

Here is the link to the project page:

https://noscript.net

There is an install button on upper left edge, can be reached via keyboard, labeled:  "Install NoScript, it's Free and Open Source" -- it is a link to a Firefox .oxt extension and will place a program button on the main toolbar next to the Home button. The default mode should function well without interfering too much with your web browsing--but you will find occassion when you need to allow "exceptions" to permit pages/content you know to be OK to run. That can become a bit annoying, but if you "allow" your usual sites and applications the annoyance goes away pretty quickly.

Unfortunately on computers already infected and with encrypted files they can not be recovered--the encryption can not be reliably reversed--and I would not trust the paying a ransom to deliver a viable decryption string. So a restore from a backup is the only safe option, in other words make and keep backups current.

For protection targeted against "ransomware" encryption there are several specific solutions--but I have not checked any of them for Accessibility with NVDA

Malwarebytes has an ongoing beta of its Anti-Ransomware project -- here:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/177751-introducing-malwarebytes-anti-ransomware-beta

HitMan Pro has its Alert active anti-Exploit product -- http://www.surfright.nl/en/products

TrendMicro's  Maximum security block encryption -- http://www.trendmicro.com/us/home/products/software/maximum-security/index.html

Good luck!

Stuart

Yes should have, but often many do not have such a luxury. Most of my audio is also on several computers,but I'm warming to a separate drive myself.
Having said that, I have not seen anything come into my system that is bad which has not been due to me being less than attentive. Luckily thus far they have only been key loggers attempts at Trojans jumped on by the Windows Defender etc. I also do a complete scan with a stand alone product every so often just in case.
there are some very nasty folk about.
[...]

well I searched for this thingy and well do the following.
https://www.bugsfighter.com/remove-cerber3-ransomware-and-decrypt-cerber3-files/
So basically you need the trend micro thingy from that page, run malwarebytes and make htat thing go away, oh and or spyhunter and get the beta for ransomware which I have not yet tried.

On 29/09/2016 12:48 a.m., nasrin khaksar wrote:
[...]

addblock+ is good for you or ublock.
and noscript, the odd site gets through.
the other addon I use is better privacy, I havn't had issues you just need to open or allow scripts you need.
google everything is usually good, analitics is not and anything saying add is not.

On 9/28/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

The Better security add on has nothing to do with scripts.  it removes a more sophisticated cookie many sites use in conjunction with Flash.  I don't know if such cookies can be used in conjunction with HTML audio/visual streaming.  I use the add on but not because it has anything to do with scripts.  I use it to routinely remove such sophisticated cookies.

Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 8:13 PM

addblock+  is good for you or ublock.
and noscript, the odd site gets through.
the other addon I use is better privacy, I havn't had issues you just
need to open or allow scripts you need.
google everything is usually good, analitics  is not and anything saying
add is not.

On 29/09/2016 2:13 a.m., nasrin khaksar wrote:
> hi geen and brian.
> thanks for your answers.
> i think some pup up automaticly became active and infected my system.
> i am shure that i dont open eligal sites, attachment of spam emails etc.
>
> did you test comodo firewall or zonealarm free firewall to see?
> i forgot to say i also want some softwares that blocks all popup from
> my firefox.
>
> On 9/28/16, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> The Windows firewall is adequate, though you may want to run something else.
>>  Ransomware is spread in the ways malware is generally spread.  A firewall
>> will not stop you from getting it.  the question is, what did you do to get
>> it in the first place and the other point is, you should have all files you
>> don't want to loose backed up and stored somewhere not connected to your
>> computer such as on an external drive not attached to your computer except
>> when in use.
>>
>> Gene

I see bleeping computer are being sued by a spy hunter company for a bad review. I mean surely this is like shooting ones self in the foot for a commercial company.
What have they got to hide one wonders?
There is a heck of a lot about this ransom ware on various forums. the start date for this seems to have been some time in February.
Not seen a definitive automatic fix for it once you have it. Most of those who have had it seem to have got it from a wifi hot spot with malicious code on the log in site pages.
There may be other ways, but either this points to a lot of infected hot spots or that it was actually aquired before and it was activated by some code from something else.

The question is, does anyone actually get a program to decrypt the files or is it all a huge scam to extract money.
[...]

Chris

Brian asked; The question is, does anyone actually get a program to decrypt the files or

is it all a huge scam to extract money.

Of course its a scam

Why would they decrypt the files for you if indeed they actually iencrypted in the first place or have they just been renamed would be my first question?

Try an online virus scanner first to see if your system can be cleaned or a free 30day anti virus scanner to get you up and running

Good luck

> well I searched for this thingy  and well do the following.

> https://www.bugsfighter.com/remove-cerber3-ransomware-and-decrypt-cerber3-files/

> So basically you need the trend micro thingy  from that page, run

> malwarebytes and make htat thing go away, oh and or spyhunter and get the

> beta for ransomware which I have not yet tried.

> On 29/09/2016 12:48 a.m., nasrin khaksar wrote:

>> hello every one.

>> two weeks ago, my computer files were incrypted and now, i lost most

>> of my valuable files and informations.

>> i have now many readme files that require me to buy the decrypter

>> software and my personal product key.

>> this ransomware is called cerber3.

>> it changed the name and extensions of my files, to the strange letter

>> and numbers with cerber3 extention.

>> could you please guide me which firewall can i use?

>> i need a free program, accessible with nvda, using less system

>> resources, without reducing the speed of my system and reading of

>> nvda, capability of hiding my Ip and informations from hackers, saving

>> my data from unwanted changes, incryptions etc.

>> i realy need your help and i am very worried for my data.

>> i use windows xp, but i want a software that supports all versions of

>> windows including 32 and 64 bit versions!

>> thanks extremely for your help and God bless you all.

hi every one.
thanks so much for your help and kindness.
i extremely appreciate you that when you find an effective way for
decrypting my files, inform me by my email address.
God bless you all!

From: Brian's Mail list account
holy quran, chapter 21, verse 107.
al-islam.org

Gene

According to what I've read, you often do get a means to decrypt the files if you pay.  It's a scam to extract money whether you get a decryption key for your files or not but the point is that many people do get one.  I'm not saying you will but you often do.  look up the specific ransomeware you are infected with and get information about that specific ransomed wear from reliable sources.  Some ransomeware can be defeated without paying, others can't.  One reason many ransome wear perveyers allow you to decrypt your files is so that others will pay in future.  If it became known that a certain ransomed wear program perveyers didn't allow files to be decrypted, it might be harder to persuade other people to pay in future.

> well I searched for this thingy  and well do the following.

> https://www.bugsfighter.com/remove-cerber3-ransomware-and-decrypt-cerber3-files/

> So basically you need the trend micro thingy  from that page, run

> malwarebytes and make htat thing go away, oh and or spyhunter and get the

> beta for ransomware which I have not yet tried.

> On 29/09/2016 12:48 a.m., nasrin khaksar wrote:

>> hello every one.

>> two weeks ago, my computer files were incrypted and now, i lost most

>> of my valuable files and informations.

>> i have now many readme files that require me to buy the decrypter

>> software and my personal product key.

>> this ransomware is called cerber3.

>> it changed the name and extensions of my files, to the strange letter

>> and numbers with cerber3 extention.

>> could you please guide me which firewall can i use?

>> i need a free program, accessible with nvda, using less system

>> resources, without reducing the speed of my system and reading of

>> nvda, capability of hiding my Ip and informations from hackers, saving

>> my data from unwanted changes, incryptions etc.

>> i realy need your help and i am very worried for my data.

>> i use windows xp, but i want a software that supports all versions of

>> windows including 32 and 64 bit versions!

>> thanks extremely for your help and God bless you all.

It is also sometimes possible to recover files from the shadow file system, but nothing is guaranteed.  Do some web searching on Windows and shadow files to see what you can find.

I once had to recover what I could from a machine infected with ransomware using a sophisticated undelete tool.  The problem with doing that is you get lots of stuff back that you don't want and you have to spend inordinate amounts of time plowing through it to find if what you got back is anything you want.

Most ransomware I'm aware of will sell you the necessary decryption key, and as Gene has already mentioned, that's the whole point.  They don't make any money off the scam if all they do is hose your machine and leave you stranded.  The name "ransomware" came about because of the direct similarity to kidnapping and ransom payment.

    ~ Lauren Bacall