Missing spaces between words in PDF document

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Hi,

Does anyone know what causes some PDF documents to have words that are not separated by a space?

For example: “TheCitizensBoard issuesdocumentsabout organisingevents”

This line of text should clearly have a space between the words.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader under Windows 10 and NVDA 2016.3.

This is not new and I often find it. Can anyone explain why it happens or at least what I can do to advise authors on how to avoid sending out these badly structured documents?

All the best,

Cearbhall

Sheri Byrne-Haber

For what it’s worth, I usually find this when the text in a document has come through an OCR process.

Sheri

Does anyone know what causes some PDF documents to have words that are not separated by a space?

For example: “TheCitizensBoard issuesdocumentsabout organisingevents”

This line of text should clearly have a space between the words.

I am using Adobe Acrobat Reader under Windows 10 and NVDA 2016.3.

This is not new and I often find it. Can anyone explain why it happens or at least what I can do to advise authors on how to avoid sending out these badly structured documents?

All the best,

Cearbhall

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is confidential, may be privileged, and is intended solely for the person and/or entity to whom it is addressed (i.e. those identified in the "To" and "cc" box). They are the property of McDonald's Corporation. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or copying of this communication, or any part thereof, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail and attachments to the sender and delete the e-mail and attachments and any copy from your system. McDonald's thanks you for your cooperation.

Cearbhall O'Meadhra

Sheri,

Actually, I ran this PDF document through Abbyyy Finereader and the OCR cured the spacing problem! So, I will have to ask the authors if this document was originally run through OCR to generate the PDF that was sent to me.

The OCR caused another problem that is not in the original: There are tables that contain multiple lines of text within each cell. Abbyyy Finereader put all of the text lines onto separate rows and this makes it difficult to make sense of the tables.

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi

I almost always experience this with documents in Adobe Reader.  I usually have to edit my university study material to insert the spaces.

Heaven Botma

Dosent: Kaleidoskoop Opleidingskollege

Lecturer: Kaleidoscope Training College

T: 023 348 7634

C: 063 692 2573

F: 023 348 7633

E: heaven@...

W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

[...]

Jacob Kruger

Heaven, came across something similar on a webpage this morning - didn't bother saving URL, etc., but, it brought to mind a thought - characterset encoding?

As in, not sure if you can easily check encoding of a specific PDF document that has this issue, but, if you can save it to something like a text file, then in notepad, under save as, etc., you can specify characterset encoding, and maybe just double check that it's set to something like ansi?

This might not make a difference at all, but, for example, doing web development, I have, at times come across issues with things like the alternatives for line break character combinations acorss different operating systems, and thus working with different forms of characterset encoding.

And, yes, unless you can force adobe to use a specific rendering characterset, if it's a protected document, you might not be able to even copy/paste the contents thereof.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

[...]

Heaven,

Have you any idea how such documents are formatted before they are put into Adobe? Could I then warn the developers to avoid something that might cause the spaces to be removed?

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

What I don't quite get is why often you can find one line like this, or many lines it seems totally random on some documents. Could it be the code of the space character used that changes so its not seen as a space in nvda?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-

Have you any idea how such documents are formatted before they are put into
Adobe? Could I then warn the developers to avoid something that might cause
the spaces to be removed?

All the best,

Cearbhall

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try Spam Reader
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> for free now!

E: <mailto:heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org>
heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org

W: <http://www.kaleidoscopesa.org/> www.kaleidoscopesa.org

Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street

Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Actually, I ran this PDF document through Abbyyy Finereader and the OCR
cured the spacing problem! So, I will have to ask the authors if this
document was originally run through OCR to generate the PDF that was sent to
me.

The OCR caused another problem that is not in the original: There are tables
that contain multiple lines of text within each cell. Abbyyy Finereader put
all of the text lines onto separate rows and this makes it difficult to make
sense of the tables.

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
<mailto:cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie> cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails. Try
<http://www.spam-reader.com/disclaimer.shtml> Spam Reader for free now!

_____

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents is
confidential, may be privileged, and is intended solely for the person
and/or entity to whom it is addressed (i.e. those identified in the "To" and
"cc" box). They are the property of McDonald's Corporation. Unauthorized
review, use, disclosure, or copying of this communication, or any part
thereof, is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received
this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail and attachments to the sender
and delete the e-mail and attachments and any copy from your system.
McDonald's thanks you for your cooperation.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

This isn't unique to nvda. Apple's voice over has this problem a lot too, so it has to be something related to the documents, because I've never found any pattern on OSX either as to what works, and what doesn't. It may be fixable, but I've never found a solution myself.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cearbhall O'Meadhra" <cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie>

[...]

Hi Jacob

Thank you very much.  I shall try this.

The documents look fine in PDF Reader3, but then the numbers are out of sinc. So I shall definitely try this and tell you if I was successful.

[...]

I am not sure how UNISA (my university) formats things.

[...]

It isn't an NVDA issue I think. I think it's an Adobe Reader problem

E: heaven@training-kaleidoscopesa.org
W: www.kaleidoscopesa.org
Adderleystraat 20 Adderley Street
Posbus 233 P.O. Box, Worcester, 6849

Have you any idea how such documents are formatted before they are
put into Adobe? Could I then warn the developers to avoid something
that might cause the spaces to be removed?

All the best,

Cearbhall

m +353 (0)833323487 Ph: _353 (0)1-2864623 e:
cearbhall.omeadhra@blbc.ie

I use the free version of Spam Reader to get rid of spam. The
Professional version doesn't have this disclaimer in outgoing emails.
[...]

Bhavya shah

Hi,
I can confirm random occurrence of such an issue in PDF documents
viewed in Adobe DC as well. However, no clue on what's causing or
triggering this behaviour.
Thanks.

--
Best Regards
Bhavya Shah

Avid Enthusiast and User of the Free NVDA Screen Reader (www.nvaccess.org)

Contacting Me
E-mail Address: bhavya.shah125@gmail.com
Mobile Number: +91 7506221750

Christo de Klerk

Hello

No, this is not an NVDA issue. With other screen readers, too, one often encounters Adobe PDFs where words are written together. In most cases I have encountered, those documents hadn't been scanned, but had been generated by some applications.

I have also encountered some websites where words appeared not to have spaces between them. I solved that issue by maximizing the window. I don't know if this issue might be specific to FireFox, but I suspect so. You can try this for yourself if you are using the Fox by going to the AppleVis site at http://www.applevis.com/. If your window is maximized, things should look fine; if not, words will all appear without spaces.

Kind regards

Christo

On 2016/09/30 7:46 AM, Heaven Botma wrote:
[...]

Heaven, Jacob, et al,

I had a long chat session with the Adobe help team yesterday.

It seems that the problem arises when a document created in some other editor is saved as PDF this problem can arise resulting in spaces not appearing to be standard ones under ISO (or ASCII 32).

With the help of the Adobe support team, I used “adobe Acrobat Pro DC” to reprocess the offending document by printing it “as Adobe” and saving the output document to the hard disk rather than actually printing it. The spaces were all present and no misspellings occurred.

The help team assured me that this problem arises from outside editors and not from within Adobe. Therefore, Adobe can do nothing about it.

Perhaps we could ask Microsoft and other manufacturers of editing programs to examine their processes for creating PDF files and see how this might arise.

The authors of my problem document used Microsoft PowerPoint to create the document and then saved it as .PDF. That suggests that Microsoft have to take this up and sort it out, doesn’t it?

All the best,

Cearbhall

[...]

Yes, the ones I've seen were done in Publisher. As I said, we already knew about the different codes for spaces, but to me maybe it also points to an issue that Adobe should look at, as I have often been told, you cannot expect the whole world to be custom designed to be accessible to blind people, in a similar way, if Adobe allow processing of documents with strange spaces can you expect the rest of the world of editors to always use the same system to infer spaces?
Maybe they need to look at documents first and raise issues about odd characters, rather than just making them look visibly like spaces but not translate them into spaces for access technology.
Thus I reject their attitude.
[...]

Stanley Haupt

Here is my birthday information

May 20, 1953

Stanley Haupt

[...]

Sorry I did not mean to send this information to this list It was ment for another email list.

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Hi

I agree with both Brian and
Cearbhall, because every story has 2 sides.

Adobe should make an effort from their side to process space and line break characters more effectively, because even sighted people experience similar problems regarding PDF documents at times.

However, Microsoft should also make an effort from their side to make sure that spaces and line breaks are standardised and in line with those used by other software.

Kind regards