DELETING MULTIPLE E-MAILS IN GMAIL

Heaven Botma <heaven@...>

Dear List

If you have a Gmail account with thousands of e-mails, is there a way to clean the account at once?

Kind regards

Heaven

mcLeod stinnett

--
from mack the only way I know is to switch your account to standard. go to the trash folder and you can select up to 50 at a time.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

What happens if you use Imap, does deleting the whole lot then doing a purge remove them from webmail as well?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

from mack the only way I know is to switch your account to standard. go to the trash folder and you can select up to 50 at a time.

Gene

The trash folder automatically deletes mail that is thirty days old.  It appears the accumulated mail is somewhere else, such as in the inbox.  It may be that someone wants to remove everything for some reason.  But you don't have to worry about running out of room.  If you run out of room, the oldest messages are deleted and replaced by newer ones.  So if that is the only reason you want to remove old mail, there is no need to do so.

I don't use GMail for personal mail that I want to keep private so I don't care about whether it accumulates.  It is all list mail, in my case.

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 5:31 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 03:14 AM, Heaven Botma wrote:
If you have a Gmail account with thousands of e-mails, is there a way to clean the account at once?

As far as I am aware of there is no way to delete all your emails at
one go in gmail. You have to check them one by one and then click on
the delete button.
I clear those emails I do not need daily.
Nevzat

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 03:14 AM, Heaven Botma wrote:

If you have a Gmail account with thousands of e-mails, is there a way to
clean the account at once?
* Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface
(
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOWXVWcmJFM2pwdjQ
)

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in
ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies —
easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert
workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001
with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole
country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public?
This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson
jurors.*

      ~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely
(Aug/Sept 2005)

Gene

All that work, manually deleting all unwanted messages.  Are they anything you don't want on the site in case of some sort of hack?  Unless they contain confidential or personal information you don't want anyone to see, in which case the information shouldn't be sent in an unencrypted message in the first place since e-mail isn't private unless encrypted, why bother deleting messages?  As I explained earlier, you will never run out of room.

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 8:12 AM

As far as I am aware of there is no way to delete all your emails at
one go in gmail. You have to check them one by one and then click on
the delete button.
I clear those emails I do not need daily.
Nevzat

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 03:14 AM, Heaven Botma wrote:
>

>> If you have a Gmail account with thousands of e-mails, is there a way to
>> clean the account at once?
>
> * Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface
> (
> https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOWXVWcmJFM2pwdjQ
> )
>

> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in
> ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies —
> easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert
> workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001
> with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole
> country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public?
> This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson
> jurors.*
>
>       ~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely
> (Aug/Sept 2005)

chris miles

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 8:12 AM

As far as I am aware of there is no way to delete all your emails at
one go in gmail. You have to check them one by one and then click on
the delete button.
I clear those emails I do not need daily.
Nevzat

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 03:14 AM, Heaven Botma wrote:
>

>> If you have a Gmail account with thousands of e-mails, is there a way to
>> clean the account at once?
>
> * Mass Selection and Deletion of Gmail Messages via the Gmail Web Interface
> (
> https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B98uELZbPFnOWXVWcmJFM2pwdjQ
> )
>

> --
>
> Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763
>
> *The terrible state of public education has paid huge dividends in
> ignorance.  Huge.  We now have a country that can be told blatant lies —
> easily checkable, blatant lies — and I’m not talking about the covert
> workings of the CIA. When we have a terrorist attack, on September 11, 2001
> with 19 men — 15 of them are Saudis — and five minutes later the whole
> country thinks they’re from Iraq — how can you have faith in the public?
> This is an easily checkable fact. The whole country is like the O.J. Simpson
> jurors.*
>
>       ~ Fran Lebowitz in Ruminator Magazine interview with Susannah McNeely
> (Aug/Sept 2005)

Hi,

Just select all of the e-mails in the G Mail folder then press delete; a message comes saying do you want to delete the said e-mails; press the delete button.The folder is empty.

I do not like clatter.

On 11/9/18, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com
<mailto:britechguy@gmail.com>> wrote:
[...]

I meant clutter.

On 09/11/2018 14:21, Gene wrote:
[...]

Hi List

The email account has not been used for a long time, so the emails accumulated. For this reason there are thousands of emails in the inbox and there is no time to read them all, so it is necessary to clear the inbox and start afresh.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have tried deleting all the messages in Outlook, I'll see if this reflects on the web as well.

I generally hate clutter in the inbox, anyway, so I prefer to delete unnecesary emails and archive the important ones if they are not sorted in folders.

Kind regards

Heaven

[...]

Heaven,

            Just a word of warning about trying to do mass deletes via an e-mail client:  They will often bog down and go into "Not Responding" mode under Windows when there are thousands upon thousands of messages to deal with.   I have recently been assisting several clients with e-mail client changes, both to Outlook and to Thunderbird, and both "get cranky" when the scope of messages selected is really, really large.

             If you want to do a big time purge I strongly suggest using Gmail's webmail interface and the instructions I posted earlier.  Even using that method you can sometimes see Gmail take a bit of time before coming back after the Delete is triggered, but it doesn't result in a hung program.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I was more interested in whether deleting in imap, will delete from webmail regardless of what is in it so to speak. I notice that on my virgin account it seems to me that webmail imap and pop3 all have separate locations and lists which makes fully deleting things a little time consuming.