From: Felix G.
Sent: 09 November 2018 12:31
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] The word "alert" in Google Chrome

Hello everyone,

when working with Chrome and NVDA I often hear the word "alert" by

itself, that is, without any hint as to what the alert is about and

how to react to it. Can anyone relate to this and offer a

non-speculative explanation?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,

Felix

Felix G.

But wouldn't that have some content, and wouldn't the screen reader
announce that content along with the word "alert?"
Best,
Felix
Am Fr., 9. Nov. 2018 um 13:37 Uhr schrieb Chris via Groups.Io
<chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io>:

Its probably a in browser notification of some sort

As to what it relates to I cant possibly speculate on that sorry

when working with Chrome and NVDA I often hear the word "alert" by

itself, that is, without any hint as to what the alert is about and

how to react to it. Can anyone relate to this and offer a

non-speculative explanation?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,

Felix

Dan Beaver

No, it does not announce the content when the alert pops up.  I have this same issue and have not found a way to have NVDA speak the content of the alert.  It drives me nuts sometimes.

Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

--

Jo Fullerton

Does anyone have any advice for a teenager in Scotland who wants to learn coding using NVDA? Is there a list of programming languages that work well with NVDA?

You could reply to me directly - jo.fullerton@rnib.org.uk

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Its probably a in browser notification of some sort

As to what it relates to I cant possibly speculate on that sorry

when working with Chrome and NVDA I often hear the word "alert" by

itself, that is, without any hint as to what the alert is about and

how to react to it. Can anyone relate to this and offer a

non-speculative explanation?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,

Felix

--

Celebrating 150 years of creating change for blind and partially sighted people.
To help us continue removing the barriers that can stop people with sight loss thriving, visit www.rnib.org.uk to donate.

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: https://www.rnib.org.uk

Chris

No, firefox is the same

<chrismedley@...>:

> Its probably a in browser notification of some sort

> As to what it relates to I cant possibly speculate on that sorry

Gene

One instance is when on Youtube.  Alert is telling you that an advertisement is playing or going to play.  but I don't know if you hear alert unless you can skip the ad.  the alert may be Chrome showing a message that the ad can be skipped.  I don't know when else you might hear alert.  It clearly is marginally useful, but at least it may tell you that something of interest might be available such as in the Youtube case.  But unless I was encountering something I didn't want to encounter, such as an advertisement playing, I usually just ignore the alert announcement.

when working with Chrome and NVDA I often hear the word "alert" by
itself, that is, without any hint as to what the alert is about and
how to react to it. Can anyone relate to this and offer a
non-speculative explanation?
Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,
Felix

Gene

We don't know.  Alert may just tell a sighted person that there is something of interest on screen, maybe with some sort of graphical indication of where it is.  Or it may have content that isn't being read.  We may get more information, but there is no way to assume what may or may not be present.

<chrismedley@...>:

> Its probably a in browser notification of some sort
>
> As to what it relates to I cant possibly speculate on that sorry

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Sometimes odd things happen in browsers. One that often is irritating is void zero, being spoken for no apparent reason, though it is there in the text, why is it there?
When you hear alert do you actually find it is actually a word or does some function of nvda, such as a tooltip or balloon etc occur that nvda is simply reporting to you.
The world has too many lerts!
Kill A Lert today!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk