Learning coding with NVDA

Jo Fullerton

Sending again with relevant subject line.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 09 November 2018 12:47
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Cc: Jo Fullerton <Jo.Fullerton@rnib.org.uk>
Subject: RE: [nvda] The word "alert" in Google Chrome

Does anyone have any advice for a teenager in Scotland who wants to learn coding using NVDA? Is there a list of programming languages that work well with NVDA?

You could reply to me directly - jo.fullerton@rnib.org.uk

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io
Sent: 09 November 2018 12:38
Subject: Re: [nvda] The word "alert" in Google Chrome

Its probably a in browser notification of some sort

As to what it relates to I cant possibly speculate on that sorry

Sent: 09 November 2018 12:31
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] The word "alert" in Google Chrome

Hello everyone,

when working with Chrome and NVDA I often hear the word "alert" by

itself, that is, without any hint as to what the alert is about and

how to react to it. Can anyone relate to this and offer a

non-speculative explanation?

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend,

Felix

--

Celebrating 150 years of creating change for blind and partially sighted people.
To help us continue removing the barriers that can stop people with sight loss thriving, visit www.rnib.org.uk to donate. 

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Hi Jo,
Ultimately, it depends on:
1. Inspiration and motivation: for the most part, people start out doing anything (including programming) because they are inspired by or something motivates them. In my case, I got interested in programming when I was a teenager thanks to my experiences using assistive technologies at school. This is partly the reason for contributing code to NVDA today; the other reason for me contributing code is because of lives of users - people have different reasons for using NVDA and other screen readers, and one major motivation for continuing my NVDA work (even though I'm a college student busy with competitive speaking competitions) is how users will end up utilizing what I write, including in unexpected situations.
2. Goals: people who started out learning to program at an early age may find themselves doing something else later in life, and vice versa. Ultimately, it isn't just the process of learning how to code on your computer that'll 100 percent determine your satisfaction with what you do - it is the ultimate end goal you have in mind. Among many reasons to go into programming as a teenager, I hope you find a worthwhile goal (I'm intentionally saying it like this because there are those who went into programming for bad reasons).
3. Values and processes: I think programming is, after all, writing. I think people starting out programming may not realize the fact that what they're essentially doing is becoming a playwright, except the actors are silicon chips, wires, and increasingly, wireless radios and things taught to think smart. As a "digital dramatist", you're essentially going to learn how to pour out your heart, beliefs, and values in code. NVDA source code is a good example of this, with different "writers" working together to formulate a story.
4. A bit of math: I once heard that, of all engineering disciplines, computer science (which includes programming as a subfield) is closest to mathematics. Programming began as a small subfield of mathematics centuries ago, and computing and math are still intertwined (for example, artificial intelligence benefits from research in mathematics and vice versa). In the beginning stages of learning programming, you won't get into math a lot, but as you progress and learn more about logic, debugging and more advanced concepts, you'll see why colleges and universities ask potential programmers to prove that they can do something with math (and to debunk a popular belief, there are blind people who are successful in mathematics and programming, and I still think about calculus from time to time). There are exceptions out there: there are successful programmers who had little knowledge about math when they first began.

Rather than telling you which programming languages to learn and from whom, I'd like to challenge you by asking you to think critically about the following statements:
1. I think programming is fun because I watch people do it on the Internet or TV.
2. I think I can learn to code because I watch people do it on the internet or TV.
3. I think I can explain what I'm doing to people who don't know what I'm doing.
4. I think I can learn to explain what I'm doing to people who don't know me and don't know what I'm doing.
5. I think Alexa is the greatest invention in world history.
6. I think Alexa is not the greatest invention in world history.
7. I think I can listen to private conversations if I learn how to code.
8. I think I can stop myself from listening to private conversations if I learn how to code.
9. I think I can serve people through my programming skills.
10. I think I can learn to serve people through my programming skills.
11. I believe global problems can be solved by computers.
12. I believe computers can't solve global problems.
13. Computers can solve all kinds of life issues.
14. Computers can't solve all kinds of life issues.

Some of these statements should give you chills, because programming comes with ethical responsibilities. More than anything, I think the most important thing you'll learn when you do decide to learn programming isn't the number of programming languages you can learn or extent of NVDA code contributions, but thinking about your actions and consequences (computers are smart, but only because those who do write code behind such systems literally told chips to act this way).

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jo Fullerton
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2018 4:49 AM
Subject: [nvda] Learning coding with NVDA

Does anyone have any advice for a teenager in Scotland who wants to learn coding using NVDA? Is there a list of programming languages that work well with NVDA?

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Chris via Groups.Io

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

Celebrating 150 years of creating change for blind and partially sighted people.
To help us continue removing the barriers that can stop people with sight loss thriving, visit www.rnib.org.uk to donate.

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of RNIB.

David Moore

Thanks, Joseph!

It was great to hear your testimony about your journey through coding and programming.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Friday, November 9, 2018 11:15 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Learning coding with NVDA

Hi Jo,

1. Inspiration and motivation: for the most part, people start out doing anything (including programming) because they are inspired by or something motivates them. In my case, I got interested in programming when I was a teenager thanks to my experiences using assistive technologies at school. This is partly the reason for contributing code to NVDA today; the other reason for me contributing code is because of lives of users - people have different reasons for using NVDA and other screen readers, and one major motivation for continuing my NVDA work (even though I'm a college student busy with competitive speaking competitions) is how users will end up utilizing what I write, including in unexpected situations.

2. Goals: people who started out learning to program at an early age may find themselves doing something else later in life, and vice versa. Ultimately, it isn't just the process of learning how to code on your computer that'll 100 percent determine your satisfaction with what you do - it is the ultimate end goal you have in mind. Among many reasons to go into programming as a teenager, I hope you find a worthwhile goal (I'm intentionally saying it like this because there are those who went into programming for bad reasons).

3. Values and processes: I think programming is, after all, writing. I think people starting out programming may not realize the fact that what they're essentially doing is becoming a playwright, except the actors are silicon chips, wires, and increasingly, wireless radios and things taught to think smart. As a "digital dramatist", you're essentially going to learn how to pour out your heart, beliefs, and values in code. NVDA source code is a good example of this, with different "writers" working together to formulate a story.

4. A bit of math: I once heard that, of all engineering disciplines, computer science (which includes programming as a subfield) is closest to mathematics. Programming began as a small subfield of mathematics centuries ago, and computing and math are still intertwined (for example, artificial intelligence benefits from research in mathematics and vice versa). In the beginning stages of learning programming, you won't get into math a lot, but as you progress and learn more about logic, debugging and more advanced concepts, you'll see why colleges and universities ask potential programmers to prove that they can do something with math (and to debunk a popular belief, there are blind people who are successful in mathematics and programming, and I still think about calculus from time to time). There are exceptions out there: there are successful programmers who had little knowledge about math when they first began.

Rather than telling you which programming languages to learn and from whom, I'd like to challenge you by asking you to think critically about the following statements:

1. I think programming is fun because I watch people do it on the Internet or TV.

2. I think I can learn to code because I watch people do it on the internet or TV.

3. I think I can explain what I'm doing to people who don't know what I'm doing.

4. I think I can learn to explain what I'm doing to people who don't know me and don't know what I'm doing.

8. I think I can stop myself from listening to private conversations if I learn how to code.

Some of these statements should give you chills, because programming comes with ethical responsibilities. More than anything, I think the most important thing you'll learn when you do decide to learn programming isn't the number of programming languages you can learn or extent of NVDA code contributions, but thinking about your actions and consequences (computers are smart, but only because those who do write code behind such systems literally told chips to act this way).

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Joseph

Cc: Jo Fullerton <Jo.Fullerton@...>

Cc: Jo Fullerton <Jo.Fullerton@...>

Does anyone have any advice for a teenager in Scotland who wants to learn coding using NVDA?  Is there a list of programming languages that work well with NVDA?

You could reply to me directly - jo.fullerton@...

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

In general, it's not the learning of the language that's an issue when using NVDA, it's finding tools that work tow rite/compile/debug your code that is the problem.  I almost always use a standard text editor when writing code, even if there is an IDE for any particular language, mostly because their IDE looks good for sighted folks, but stinks for screen reader users, so I simply ignore any IDE offerings, and write my code in an editor of my choice, then call the command line compilers to reduce my code to something recognizable by the computer.  Sometimes, this isn't possible, such as when there's frameworks (as in OSX), or special compiler configurations required (as when using visual C from microsoft), but in general, using a text editor and calling the external command line editors on my code is how I program, and it's worked for me for about 30 years, so I'm sticking with it.
You can learn any language you like, but that's only half the battle, you still need to learn to use the tools required to turn that language into something the computer understands, and that's a whole 'nother learning curve.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes I came into it a bit too late. I learned on old z80 machines and of course basic. However the satisfaction of writing a functional database for a specific task not catered for taught me a heck of a lot about how people use, or misuse computers and in fact that one thing has made me want to help people who are scared of computers to appreciate that they are after all just tools, and no matter how you dress them up, with clever voice interactions or old fashioned keyboards, you have an expectation and everyone has their own way, so finding a system which can be configured to work as the person thinks is quite an art, one that in the main I think NVDA gets right. I do have gripes, as many do, but they are few nowadays. One thing learning a bit about computer programming did teach me is that the concept of making things act in a way people expect them to when all that is going on is manipulating numbers at the basic level is really an amazing conceptual experience.
No I'm no programmer these days, I used to have sight and find the frustrations of syntax and all of that now beyond me.

I have to thank Clive Sinclair whose computers I learned on. I even built one from a kit.

Many people these days never had that chance.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 09, 2018 4:15 PM

Hi Jo,

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joseph

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it and any attachments from your system.

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants. However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.

Jason White

If the ultimate intention is to participate in NVDA development, I would recommend learning Python. The following online book appears to be a good starting point for someone who is new to programming.
http://greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/index.html

On 11/9/18, 07:49, "Jo Fullerton" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Jo.Fullerton@rnib.org.uk> wrote:

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Jason & List"

You said the Python book is online, however when I followed the link to Amazon, they seemed to be selling it as a paperback.
Is it shown as an online book farther down the listing?
Brian K. Lingard
bkl@ncf.ca

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Jason White via Groups.Io
Sent: November 10, 2018 13:14

If the ultimate intention is to participate in NVDA development, I would recommend learning Python. The following online book appears to be a good starting point for someone who is new to programming.

On 11/9/18, 07:49, "Jo Fullerton" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Jo.Fullerton@rnib.org.uk> wrote:

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Chris via Groups.Io

As to what it relates to, I can't possibly speculate on that sorry

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

erik burggraaf <erik@...>

Yes, if you stay on that page linked to the email, there is a comprehensive table of contents. From there, you can get to any section of the book.

Best,

Erik

On November 21, 2018 7:36:05 AM "Brian K. Lingard" <bkl@ncf.ca> wrote:

Dear Jason & List"

You said the Python book is online, however when I followed the link to Amazon, they seemed to be selling it as a paperback.
Brian K. Lingard
bkl@ncf.ca

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Jason White via Groups.Io

?On 11/9/18, 07:49, "Jo Fullerton" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Jo.Fullerton@rnib.org.uk> wrote:

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Chris via Groups.Io

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

John J. Boyer

Bookshare has Python books. I've downloaded them. If you are an authorized subscriber to www.bookshare.org you can just
search for Python.

John

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 07:35:02AM -0500, Brian K. Lingard wrote:
Dear Jason & List"

Brian K. Lingard
bkl@ncf.ca

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost

Sile

If you are looking for a development environment, I have also had success with notepad++ and their add-on for python, which you can access through the 'language' menu.  There are some workarounds for reading the output window which I can share off list if anyone is interested.

--Sile

On 11/21/2018 8:14 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
Bookshare has Python books. I've downloaded them. If you are an authorized subscriber to www.bookshare.org you can just
search for Python.

John

Dear Jason & List"

Brian K. Lingard
bkl@ncf.ca

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

Sile

Hi

I found skyptalking via a google search - the new link is:

http://www.download82.com/download/windows/skype-talking/

It has recently been updated, but doesn't appear to support video calling ...

--Sile

On 11/21/2018 8:29 AM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:

If you are looking for a development environment, I have also had success with notepad++ and their add-on for python, which you can access through the 'language' menu.  There are some workarounds for reading the output window which I can share off list if anyone is interested.

--Sile

On 11/21/2018 8:14 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
search for Python.

John

Dear Jason & List"

Brian K. Lingard
bkl@ncf.ca

Does anyone have any advice for a teenager in Scotland who wants to learn coding using NVDA?  Is there a list of programming languages that work well with NVDA?

Thanks

Jo Fullerton

Hello everyone,

Felix

--

--

DISCLAIMER:

RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it cannot accept any responsibility for any such which are transmitted.