NVDA not read anything in any browser.

Tejas Bendre

Hello guys,
facing big problem with NVDA.
I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.
NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.
Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying
unknown and unknown.
so this is happen with NVDA only.
I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.
but afther update in 1803 laptop verks 2 3 days.
and now same problem i am faceing.
i tryed all browsers.
So can anyone help me.

Chris

Sounds like the old dll registration issue again

Try running the com registration tool under nvda menu tools

Good luck

I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.

NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.

Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying

unknown and unknown.

so this is happen with NVDA only.

I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.

but afther update in 1803  laptop verks 2 3 days.

and now same problem i am faceing.

i tryed all browsers.

So can anyone help me.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

have a look under the tools section in NVDA and look for a menu called Run COM Registration Fixing tool... then press the enter key on it. I can not remember if there were steps after it but it should reset the files and i think the computer also has to be rebooted as well.

If it fixes the problem you should be able to use the browser as you were before it happened.

Some times it would also affect the running application on the task bar and say unknown etc and do some other weird stuff.

There is no documentation for it in the user manual but I think there should be so people know what it is for.

Gene nz

On 15/11/2018 7:34 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:
Hello guys,
facing big problem with NVDA.
I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.
NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.
Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying
unknown and unknown.
so this is happen with NVDA only.
 I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.
but afther update in 1803  laptop verks 2 3 days.
and now same problem i am faceing.
i tryed all browsers.
So can anyone help me.

Annette Moore

I was also getting that "unknown" issue and Firefox was loading very slowly so I just ran that tool and so far, it's working much better. thanks for the suggestion.

Annette

On 11/14/2018 12:43 PM, Chris via Groups.Io wrote:

Sounds like the old dll registration issue again

Try running the com registration tool under nvda menu tools

Good luck

I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.

NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.

Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying

unknown and unknown.

so this is happen with NVDA only.

I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.

but afther update in 1803  laptop verks 2 3 days.

and now same problem i am faceing.

i tryed all browsers.

So can anyone help me.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes if you run that tool and it works, then please report back here.I have a nasty suspicion there is one thing it fails to fix, probably caused by uninstalling avast and affecting certain dialogues, but its hard to pin such things down.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

I am using Dell laptop With Windows 10 1803.
NVDA latest 18.3.2 version.
Whenever I open any browser NVDA not read anything it's just saying
unknown and unknown.
so this is happen with NVDA only.
I try JAWS but JAWS working fine.

Actually same problem i was face with 1703 version.
but afther update in 1803 laptop verks 2 3 days.
and now same problem i am faceing.
i tryed all browsers.
So can anyone help me.

Tejas Bendre

I try this.
but not get sukcess.

--
[Image NVDA certified expert]
Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Have you tried a portable copy of nvda as well? if you do make sure you put the files into a folder say called nvda  then see if the problem is still there. it might be safer to do it from a fresh copy of nvda from the website.

it may be that your nvda.ini file may be curupted in the installer version? if it works well in the portable then I can give you steps to completely uninstall the installer version so no files are left.

Gene nz

On 16/11/2018 2:06 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:
I try this.
but not get sukcess.

On 11/15/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:
[...]

could i ask what the last bit of software was that was uninstalled and then you noticed it happening?

By the way are you running a 32 or 64 bit operating system and which version?

I was wondering if maybe it might of been the mathshtml add on that might of caused it or when you uninstalled say office?

[...]

I am useing windows 10 64 bit home single language.
and i not uninstoal any softwear.
I also try nvda_snapshot_alpha-16247,fbae6b0b portebel verjun.
one more thing nvda also not reding contest menu.
and this is happen only with NVDA.

<hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com> wrote:

[...]

I would suggest running the run com registration fixing tool under the tools menu of nvda

Then restart your computer, not shut down but RESTART

On 11/19/18, hurrikennyandopo ... <hurrikennyandopo@...> wrote:

> [...]

> exam.

> --

> [Image NVDA          certified expert]

> Check out my website for NVDA tutorials and other blindness related material

> at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where you are in New

> Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can use a copy of the NVDA

> screen reader on one of their computers. To find out which locations (or

> location) is near to you please visit

> http://www.aotearoapeoplesnetwork.org/content/partner-libraries (Aotearoa

> People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert near you, please

> visit the following link https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The

> certification page contains the official list of NVDA certified individuals

> from around the world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

The tool should of fixed the problem. After you used it did you shut down the computer properly or just restart?

Before the tool was made I used the following to fix it on my windows 10 64 bit machine.

It basically said if you are having these problems and tells you what to do. it must be done to the letter.

Troubleshooting - NVDA says “unknown” or “pane” in all of your browsers, Mozilla Thunderbird email client and other places
If for some reason you have problems with NVDA saying “unknown” or “pane” check for the following symptoms:

In all of your browsers, or the Mozilla Thunderbird email client, no matter what you do, you still hear “unknown” or “pane”.

In the browser, email client and other menus you notice you cannot get into your menus, or you are unable to use the quick navigation keys

When you have been told the page is loaded and notice strange behaviour

Mozilla Thunderbird saying unknown while you try to navigate it

Your applications key does not work with it being spoken out and other strange behaviour in Windows

The running applications icons are not being spoken out
It might be a good idea to do the following:
Please note: If you are hearing “unknown” or “pane” (as discussed above) NVDA might seem like it is still working properly but it may not be completely in Windows and other programmes.
You could try the following solution which will allow you to re-register your dll files in case they are causing the problem.
Press the Windows key then type the following into the search box. Type in “command prompt”. Once you have located command prompt, in the search results, press the Applications key to bring up the context menu. Arrow down to select “run as administrator” and press the Enter key. This will take you to a command prompt window. This will not be spoken out. You may need sighted assistance for this.
Type in the following command
for %x in (c:\windows\system32\*.dll) do regsvr32 /s %x
This should re-register all components in the system32 folder.
When it is finished, you can close the command prompt window with the Alt + F4 key. You should notice now where NVDA was saying “unknown” as in some examples given, NVDA should now read the icons in the running applications area of Windows, speak the content of the webpage and menus, and also in Mozilla Thunderbird and other places in Windows including the Windows applications context menu.
Run COM Registration Fixing tool
If you are getting any of the following problems below - with Windows unregistering some of the files needed by NVDA - the following tool section in NVDA will get you out of trouble. To access this tool press the NVDA key + letter N while NVDA is running. Arrow down to the tools menu. A submenu will come up. Arrow down to the menu called Run COM Registration Fixing tool... then press the Enter key.  It should register the files needed by NVDA.

Gene nz

On 20/11/2018 6:42 AM, Tejas Bendre wrote:
[...]

When you run that tool, are you supposed to shut down or restart? I ran it the other day and for the most part it's working better, but I'm still hearing "Unknown" from time to time. I shut down completely and then rebooted. Should I have restarted instead? Thanks!

Annette

[...]

Shutting down wouldive done it then starting the computer back up.

In the previous email there were some sections which said if you hear unknown or pane in  all browsers. Basically what would happen there if nvda would not read any thing in any of the browsers either by single letter navigation keys or even tabbing in other words the browser was unuseable. You would also down in the running applications  area hear unknown even though there were icons there. You would also notice it would not speak out the context menu etc.

I know before the tool I typed in the section  to register the files under the command prompt rea and it fixed the problem.

the tool came out later.

If you are hearing unknow now and again it could be it just does not know what it is or just slow page loading?

Gene nz

On 20/11/2018 9:52 AM, Annette Moore wrote:

[...]

Depends if you have fast startup enabled or not,

But to be sure I advise to restart rather than shut down if you have fast startup enabled

If you are not sure then restart is recommended

[...]

Hi, Gene NZ,

yes, it's just from time to time, and context menu items read just fine. I usually hear "Unknown" when I close a Firefox or thunderbird window and there's no other windows open at that time. I think it just doesn't really know what to do with the breif limbo. LOL!

[...]

I think you will hear unknown from time to time just because something is encountered that is unknown.  I hear unknown now and then.  The problem solved by running the tool is that no browser text is read an you hear unknown contstantly when you try.

If the problem is solved after you run the tool, you don't have to shut down.  Registry changes can be and routinely are made while Windows is running.  If they weren't, then changes you make to most programs, which are stored in the registry, wouldn't take effect until you reboot.  This is not the case.

Changes are made to the registry but I don't think the changes are saved until you shut down, so if you do an improper shutdown, you will probably have to run the tool again.  But if you do a proper shutdown or a proper reboot, the changes will be saved.

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 2:52 PM

[...]

Also, I don't know what fast boot does compared with slow boot regarding saving registry changes.  But regardless of whether you are using fast or slow boot, if you use the restart command, it does a complete shutdown before rebooting.  So if you are using fast boot and want to perform a full shutdown but not change the setting and then have the machine reboot automatically, do a reboot, which will reboot the machine after doing a complete Windows shutdown.

Also, I haven't used the ttool.  That's why I said at the start of my first message that if running the tool doesn't solve the problem, try rebooting.

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 2:52 PM

[...]

Thanks, Gene.

Annette

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 2:52 PM

[...]

I try this but not help.

<hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com><mailto:hurrikennyandopo@hotmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

Were you able to sort it out with nothing been spoken in all the browsers?

Out of curiosity did you ever install a plug in for nvda called I think it was called 7. Reading Mathematical Content
Using MathPlayer 4 from Design Science, NVDA can read and interactively navigate supported mathematical content. This requires that MathPlayer 4 is installed on the computer. MathPlayer is available as a free download from:

This was from the user guide. did you ever install it then uninstall it? there used to be a bug or it still may be there when you uninstall it it will cause that type of problem in the browser. If this is the case and you had installed it then removed it and then it had problems with the browser you may need to reinstall it again. If you never installed it do not worry about it.

Did you also do a complete uninstall of nvda? You will need to do it under program features remove nvda there then do the following You may need another screen reader to do it

Press the windows key + letter R then type in %appdata% then press the enter key. A whole list of folders will come up locate the folder called nvda then delete it then use the alt key + f4 key to close this screen.

Then you can reinstall nvda again make sure it is a fresh copy and not one that may of been curupted. Hopefully that might fix it.