Reading PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Hi all,
Recently, I noticed that, in a number of PDFs, when trying to have NVDA read them in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, NVDA seems to treat all the texts as if they are all on the same paragraph. Basically, I can't use ctrl+up/down to move between paragraphs; NVDA just treats everything as if it was a single paragraph.
Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Or should I get a new PDF reader?

Rosemarie Chavarria

The webbie suite has a PDF reader you can try.

On 11/16/2018 12:04 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
Hi all,
Recently, I noticed that, in a number of PDFs, when trying to have NVDA read them in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, NVDA seems to treat all the texts as if they are all on the same paragraph. Basically, I can't use ctrl+up/down to move between paragraphs; NVDA just treats everything as if it was a single paragraph.

Does Webbie works with large PDF files, E.G an ebook in PDF format?

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'm not sure about that but I've read small files with it. Perhaps someone else might be able to tell you more than I can.

On 11/16/2018 12:21 PM, Supanut Leepaisomboon wrote:
Does Webbie works with large PDF files, E.G an ebook in PDF format?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Are you sure its nvda or the reader? IE do files that used to work still do so?
If yes then its more likely to be untagged pdf syndrome and not a lot the reader or the screenreader can do once the file is made, sadly.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Friday, November 16, 2018 8:04 PM
Subject: [nvda] Reading PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

Hi all,

I tried a few more untagged PDF files and yep the same issue that I explained in my first post still occurs.
However this seems to only occur with untagged PDFs, I.E the ones that once opened presents a dialog to choose the reading order and such.
Since I have to deal with these PDFs on a regular bases for my university, is there a way to properly read these PDFs with NVDA?

Jason White

Try the PDF reader that is built into Google Chrome, or use ABBYY FineReader to convert the PDF files to another format (HTML or Microsoft Word).

Due to the above two solutions, I haven’t used Adobe Reader for quite a while.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Supanut Leepaisomboon
Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 7:08 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Reading PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC

I tried a few more untagged PDF files and yep the same issue that I explained in my first post still occurs.
However this seems to only occur with untagged PDFs, I.E the ones that once opened presents a dialog to choose the reading order and such.
Since I have to deal with these PDFs on a regular bases for my university, is there a way to properly read these PDFs with NVDA?

Edited

I tried the PDF reader built into Google Chrome. It worked, but, for example, I typed into the box to go to a page and press enter and attempt to read, NVDA doesn't seem to recognize that I have changed the page, but on screen I can clearly see that the page has change.
Is the problem I described in my first post a NVDA issue? Or an issue with recent versions of Adobe Acrobat. I remember in the past even untagged PDFs use to work properly.
Update: I tried downgrading to Acrobat Reader DC 2018 and everything seems to work properly now. How can I prevent Reader DC from automatically updating to the 2019 version?

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

The problem I have with adobe pdf reader is the fact that I can't move backwards through the file.  If I miss a sentence or something, and want to go back and see what it said, I can't do that, because it jumps back to the beginning of the file.  As a result, I just ignore pdf files when possible, and convert them to something else when not.  I don't use pdf unless absolutely necessary, and these days, it's seldom necessary.

I don’t think I ever came across the problem that you mentioned. If you are using the 2019 version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, you can try what I did, which is downgrading to the 2018 version and disable automatic updates.

On 18 Nov 2018, at 17:18, Travis Siegel <tsiegel@softcon.com> wrote:

The problem I have with adobe pdf reader is the fact that I can't move backwards through the file. If I miss a sentence or something, and want to go back and see what it said, I can't do that, because it jumps back to the beginning of the file. As a result, I just ignore pdf files when possible, and convert them to something else when not. I don't use pdf unless absolutely necessary, and these days, it's seldom necessary.