Two issues with the "Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on

Hello Joseph and all,

I've noticed two issues while using the "Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on:
1. In the "Calculator" app, when I enter digits, NVDA does not announce the change in the display. It announces the change only after I press ENTER to get the result. If I disable the "Windows 10 App Essentials", the issue stops occurring.
2. In the "Mail" app, I cannot read a message only by pressing UP or DOWN arrows. I can read it only with "Say All". If I disable the "Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on, the issue disappears and I can read the message body with UP and DOWN arrows.

Test environment:
- Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (build 14393.222), 64-bit, in Bulgarian with all locale settings set to "Bulgarian".
- NVDA version: next-13616,d4743fcc, in bulgarian.
- "Mail" app version: 17.7167.40817.0, in bulgarian.
- "Calculator" app version: can't find it, but it should be the latest from the apps store.

If you need more information from me in order to be able to diagnose the issue, please let me know and I'll try to help as best as I can.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

Hi,
Which add-on version are you using (16.10 perhaps)?
Mail: Can anyone else confirm this? I can read messages using arrow keys. Note that due to changes introduced as part of Edge support work (next branch for now), I have disabled my workaround in Mail app.
Calculator: this is intentional to keep user experience as similar to old Calculator program (also quite verbose to hear this information every time you enter something). Ideally NVDA should be able to announce characters you type, but unfortunately, we won't see a solution for a while.
Due to events I'll be attending, I may not be able to maintain the add-on for the next few days; in the
meantime, Derek Riemer will fill in my shoes. Thanks.
Cheers,
Joseph

I've noticed two issues while using the "Windows 10 App Essentials"
add-on:<br
1. In the "Calculator" app, when I enter digits, NVDA does not
announce the change in the display. It announces the change only
after I press ENTER to get the result. If I disable the "Windows 10
App Essentials", the issue stops occurring.<br
2. In the "Mail" app, I cannot read a message only by pressing UP or
DOWN arrows. I can read it only with "Say All". If I disable the
"Windows 10 App Essentials" add-on, the issue disappears and I can
read the message body with UP and DOWN arrows.<br
Test environment:<br
- Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (build 14393.222), 64-bit, in
Bulgarian with all locale settings set to "Bulgarian".<br
- NVDA version: next-13616,d4743fcc, in bulgarian.<br
- "Mail" app version: 17.7167.40817.0, in bulgarian.<br
- "Calculator" app version: can't find it, but it should be the
latest from the apps store.<br
If you need more information from me in order to be able to diagnose
the issue, please let me know and I'll try to help as best as I can.<br
______<br
Best wishes,<br
Kostadin Kolev

Hello Joseph,

Yes, the version of the add-on is 16.10.

About the "Calculator" app. OK, if you think this is a better solution. Though personally I'd prefer to hear all changes of the display, as it is the behavior without the add-on.

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 30.9.2016 г. в 10:37, Joseph Lee написа:

[...]

Chris

Mail app works for me ok

The calculator only announces the numbers entered when you click on the numbers in the app but not when you use the physical keypad

On your keyboard

From: "Chris" <chrismedley@btinternet.com
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 08:46:23 +0100

From: Joseph Lee

Hi,
Calculator display: with the add-on turned off, if you move to places other than results box, you won't hear anything.
I may need to raise an issue in the tracker for this add-on to announce things like "sine" and "roots" if such shortcut keys were pressed (may not see the light of day until add-on 16.11 at the earliest).
Cheers,
Joseph

Yes, the version of the add-on is 16.10.</p
About the "Calculator" app. OK, if you think this is a better
solution. Though personally I'd prefer to hear all changes of the
display, as it is the behavior without the add-on.<br
Best wishes,<br
Kostadin Kolev</p
??????:<br
From: "Chris" <chrismedley@btinternet.com
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Date sent: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 08:46:23 +0100

From: Joseph Lee

Laz

i use it daily to add up totals for orders or to figure out
percentages for tax purposes, etc. It's very handy as it's just a
keyboard shortcut away.

Laz

From: Joseph Lee

Bluetooth devices, and accessories
http://www.talkingmp3players.com/
Email: laz@talkingmp3players.com
Phone: 727-498-0121
Skype: lazmesa

Hello Joseph and others,

Sorry to revive this old threat, but I must, since I have an announcement to make about the raised by me issues in it.

And the announcement is a very good one. After updating Windows 10 App Essentials to version 17.02, the issue with not being able to read a mail message in the E-Mail app using the arrow keys is no longer present - now I can read a mail message with the arrow keys. I don't know what caused the issue and how it got fixed, but I'm happy that it's gone now. 😀

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 30.9.2016 г. в 11:11, Joseph Lee написа: