Can't always blame NVDA

Jackie

This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
someone on their troubleshooting journey.

John J. Boyer

Microsoft has caused a lot of trouble with their updates. One of the latest turned off Bluetooth on my laptop computer,
so i couldn't get Braille output. My computer maintenance organization had to remote in and turn it bck on. My desktop
machine was also behaving strangely after a recent update. I couldn't get any Braille output until I turned it off with
the power button and then back on. Three boos for Microsoft.

John

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:05:59PM -0700, Jackie wrote:
This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
someone on their troubleshooting journey.

John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
that are available at no cost

Well interestingly enough on my hp system after the update, during an intel check my wireless bluetooth, just the bluetooth and not the wifi card had an update, so check with intel driver updater and see if you have updated wireless and bluetooth drivers.

That may be all it  was.

On 11/18/2018 5:26 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
[...]

Kim Komando, because of all the problems with the latest full update, advises people not to install the update earlier than it is offered to you and even then, to defer it if you can until it is clear that it is advisable to install it.  You can't put it off indefinitely, but there are ways to delay it.

Microsoft originally  released this update obviously when it wasn't ready, and the same with the last full update.  I hope that, instead of people chomping at the bit to try the new full updates, that they wait to see if Microsoft has released a good update in future.  Of course, if someone wants to see what the latest is like and be a guinea pig, a beta tester after beta testing should no longer be necessary, that's fine, but for those who aren't in that category and who want dependability and reliability, I would always wait.  Even in the past, before Windows 10, people were advised to wait after a new version of Windows came out before adopting it.  Even with proper care, there are always going to be problems with a complex piece of software like this.  But the last two full updates have more and more serious problems than properly tested software should.

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 10:26 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Can't always blame NVDA

Microsoft has caused a lot of trouble with their updates. One of the latest turned off Bluetooth on my laptop computer,
so i couldn't get Braille output. My computer maintenance organization had to remote in and turn it bck on. My desktop
machine was also behaving strangely after a recent update. I couldn't get any Braille output until I turned it off with
the power button and then back on. Three boos for Microsoft.

John

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:05:59PM -0700, Jackie wrote:
> This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
> was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
> incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
> for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
> keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
> disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
> things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
> coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
> can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
> possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
> Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
> someone on their troubleshooting journey.
>
> --

John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

Alexander Masic

I am running the latest build 1809, and I am not facing any proglem with it. I have one Varioultra running on bluetooth placed on the left conected with bluetooth, and it run fine. and also i have not loused any files.

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 10:26 PM

Microsoft has caused a lot of trouble with their updates. One of the latest turned off Bluetooth on my laptop computer,
so i couldn't get Braille output. My computer maintenance organization had to remote in and turn it bck on. My desktop
machine was also behaving strangely after a recent update. I couldn't get any Braille output until I turned it off with
the power button and then back on. Three boos for Microsoft.

John

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:05:59PM -0700, Jackie wrote:
> This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
> was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
> incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
> for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
> keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
> disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
> things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
> coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
> can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
> possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
> Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
> someone on their troubleshooting journey.
>
> --

John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

Gene

I don't know how long you have been running it.  Many people didn't loose files.  those who ran a specific utility, I don't remember its name, did.  I think the name was something like redirect folders but that isn't quite it.

But the proboems, and there were more than just file loss, were serious enough that Microsoft withdrew the update about a month ago and just very recently started making it available again.  One person's experience never tells whether a program performs well in general.  That's why beta testing is done with a large sample.

Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2018 10:26 PM

Microsoft has caused a lot of trouble with their updates. One of the latest turned off Bluetooth on my laptop computer,
so i couldn't get Braille output. My computer maintenance organization had to remote in and turn it bck on. My desktop
machine was also behaving strangely after a recent update. I couldn't get any Braille output until I turned it off with
the power button and then back on. Three boos for Microsoft.

John

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 12:05:59PM -0700, Jackie wrote:
> This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
> was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
> incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
> for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
> keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
> disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
> things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
> coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
> can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
> possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
> Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
> someone on their troubleshooting journey.
>
> --

John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
        that are available at no cost

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Maybe the old keyboard driver did not work well with the new version of windows. Would not be the first time a driver has been implicated in a problem.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
someone on their troubleshooting journey.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I will say it.
I told you so. The best move I ever made whenWindows10 came into my world was to go back to windows 7. I am not a fan of a new Windows every 6 months.
I hate to think what is going on for corporate users, however I suspect they have a longer time to roll out updates than we freeloading plebs have who are the minions doing unpaid debugging for Microsoft.
[...]

And that is exactly the issue, ie some sail through unscathed while others do not.

Several people I know have rolled back to the last update due to one of the recent ones making their machine slow eat battery and overheat.
These issues have to be driver related at the lowest hardware level.
[...]

message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org
<mailto:wp4newbs-request@freelists.org> with 'subscribe' in the
Subject field OR by
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com
<http://www.brighter-vision.com> & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org <mailto:john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
services
that are available at no cost

Maybe, One thing I wander if you can access the keyboard in the laptop, uninstall it and then remove the software with the checkbox making sure you do a system restore point first, in theory unless it turns your system into a mess it should load a standard driver.

I know for a fact that the last hp keyboard drivers are like a year old nothing came from march last year.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jackie" <abletec@gmail.com>
This week my computer became really unresponsive to key presses. It
was right after a Windows 10 update, so I was blaming some sort of
incompatibility between W10 & NVDA. I was going to roll it back, but
for some reason I decided to do another test first & plugged a USB
keyboard into my laptop. Guess what? All the unresponsiveness
disappeared! Just goes to show sometimes that events surrounding
things like unresponsiveness, ie, such as an update, may be purely
coincidental & merely serve to throw a smoke screen. Troubleshooting
can be a real b-word, & I guess it's just best to keep all the
possibilities in mind. This was addressed to no one in particular.
Just sharing an experience on a Saturday in hopes it might help
someone on their troubleshooting journey.

.

Well who knows.

You can't stay on 7 for ever.

I do wander how computer manufacturers will keep up to date.

It has been tradition for example that eventually older stuff stopps being updated period.

Hp hasn't updated any of its own driver for my ay 127tu unit my aunt uses for well some of them at least 4 years.

The display was updated this february, the audio card hasn't had an update since last july and I use a generic driver now for that.

The keyboards driver was updated last march, the mouse uses a generic ms driver, the network wireless and bluetooth devices use generic intel drivers to.

The network drivers are generic now no updates from hp for them in ages.

The only things remotely recent are the chip firmware updated in july, the bios updated on the 9th of this month, and one of the interfaces that intel updated in may of this year.

There was also a couple firmware chip updates toward the end of last year.

But taking that all asside most of the programs havn't been updated since initial versions in 2016, and while after 1803 update a lot of drivers and programs were updated its not really been smooth sailing.

On the flip side, my older 4th gen unit had its last bios update in 2015.

Unlike the hp laptop which is modern with all the new features, I havn't loaded many of its drivers and most of those are for sensors and the like, and they have not been updated in ages.

Most of the drivers on that one are generic or ms drivers and there are no modern things to screw over it being 7 years old now.

In fact its gotten so bad that on the hp, after windows last disasterous issue, I did a full reformat, and wiped out the recovery, bios, eufi, and diagnostic partitions.

Now granted the only thing I now can't get is diagnostics, so I can't recover the bios if it corrupts, however I can't see the thing to recover the bios, and I can run the diagnostics in windows mode anyway.

I have a backup of the recovery partition not that I'd use it, and I have probably perminantly buggered the eufi firmware somehow but as long as I don't have a powercut while updating it or something really screws I won't have a problem.

Its unlikely I want to recover back to 1703 anyway.

On the flipside, I can no longer install some of the older drivers using certain folders which sucks but doesn't really matter that much.

The system runs fine without them.

Now a good person like me would back up the folders and I will in fact do this on my newer hp when I get it, there are 2 of them.

Over all that, I haven't had any issues with this cloud based unit, though granted I don't use microsoft clouds with it though its active.

The system has a google but not google drive.

Its using dropbox for a few things like updates and a few small documents, and icloud for everything else.

Google for email and everything over that.

Of course its entirely useless if there is no net.

I mean its got technically office on it, but no documents stored locally, and I guess I could read pdfs with it, but even the printer is net based.

I can still make and extract cds to but there isn't much set for it if it ever got offlined for some reason.

Then again if it screws there isn't much to put back.

I suspect its just going to be the way from now.

And in theory its a good idea  to be a servicing model on the other hand, I suspect microsoft didn't realise how while in a perfect world it would work but here its not always smooth sailing.

I think with windows 10 it seems right now the older your system is possibly the better off you will be.

For me I know that before I try to fix things if its bad, I reformat then I don't connect to the net not even to activate windows till I have loaded all my programs, and installed drivers I manually downloaded so windows doesn't try to be to smart then set everything up.

I am unsure about the updating every 6 months, I guess its better than spending 200 bucks every 6 years buying another windows that you never needed.

I am quite happy with windows xp to be honest.

7 is a lot better but even so.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alexander Masic" <list@masic.se>

& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com
<http://www.brighter-vision.com> & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com
<http://www.mysitesbeenhacked.com>

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org <mailto:john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org>
website: http://www.abilitiessoft.org
Location: Madison, Wisconsin, USA
services
that are available at no cost

John J. Boyer

How does one go about delaying an update. Windows 10 updates are automatic. I came to my machines and found a mess.

John

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 11:41:51PM -0600, Gene wrote:
[...]

I'll see if I can find the Kim Komando article discussing this.

I found it.

As you will see if you read the entire article and not just the how to delay updates section, there is ample reason to delay updates.

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 6:39 AM