Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 11:40 AM
Subject: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to
see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time
to see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at
things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're
curious about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the
universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may
never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into
galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.

My suspicion, and not just in this case, is that there is a widespread use of dictation (speech-to-text) software these days.  With words such as wonder and wander, when said in the flow of normal speech often sound remarkably similar, as the vowel gets what I call "schwa-ed".  Unless you're using dictation software that has some AI features where it looks at surrounding context before closing in on the actual word wanted you'll often get substitutions like this.

It seems to be far more common on certain forums than others, and if I'm being perfectly honest it's way more common on blind and low-vision forums than elsewhere.  Since most individuals I know personally do know how to spell (at least as well as anyone else I know) and do so when typing, I have to suspect dictation software is at play at least a decent part of the time.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Don't know where the "blind and visually impaired" in front of the "individuals I know personally" went in that last message, but it disappeared.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Well to be honest, I know while I generally try to spell right enough to save my rear and can do so, I get over confident at times with my typing speed and so things can get messed up and most of the time I catch it.

Now speech wize, because we use speech technology we heavily rely on it.

Thats good but since no synth can know every language or word and pronounciations can slightly differ from word to word the synth and its data are not always correct worse, depending on the program you use the spelling is not correct.

While a few programs quite a lot of those in fact use country spaciffic languages most don't especially if they are unicode or old.

The default national languages are us and uk and while thats fine as a basis for language itself english wize, there are differences to spelling.

Its why I turn auto correct spell and gramma off where I can.

In fact in chrome, when filling out an email address, at some point, I will get a message that I have spelt something wrong because it thinks I am writing a sentence.

And while in office and some other programs like windows its gotten a lot better of late, there was a time not to long ago when I was in school at least back in 1998 where I was always failing because I spelt things wrongly.

I had relied on my computer spellchecker to fix words I didn't know and to check spelling but it was in us and always was in us language unless you manually changed it.

This trend went on as far as office 2010, with some change in 2013, in office 2016 you can change languages but things usually work.

Then there is a way a word is pronounced, it can be spelt wrong but sound fine or it can be spelt fine and sound wrong.

Next speech synths in general are not good with language switching, try to type a word in german on any synth that is more than a couple years old and maybe some of them still exist try to type a word in maori, german or anything other than your native language and if its not switched to that dictionary its not going to get it right neither will your spell checker.

Now with the way the cloud and the multi language thing works we seem to be able to get things on the fly a lot better.

Even if you have the automatic switches off if it finds something in another language it will usually try to speak it right, of course the voice could be an issue if you don't understand or have never heard that word before but my point is at least it tries.

One thing that I have found a slight disapointment is the availability of all languages in synths, espeak has come close to include a lot more varients than most.

However in my old realspeak, even though I am on uk some us vouls and pronouncements make it in  even in australian and I suspect that not everything got translated right and this is a high quality voice we are talking about now.

Even with all this set, there are no dialect synths for some countries, new zealand for example hasn't got one, maori hasn't got one, I don't give a damn about the maori language but if principal is to be believed then we really need synths that handle every language and we still don't.

So if I type a maori placename in a document, its never going to come out right because no language for it.

We use australian language because its the closest to us for the most part and its fine even then that uses the uk language set.

Point is we blind people are not bad spellers, our stuff is, as we get more data it will get better and with the cloud thats only going to improve but its never going to be perfect.

Eventually maybe once we get enough of them we can use braille to but maybe by then we will be able to no longer be blind anymore even so, it would be nice to get everything like my reader speaking in my own language just because is all.

And its not just the blind we rely a lot on spell checkers, automatic updaters, security programs, and a lot of things with their own rulesets.

If it goes we freak out big time, but your technology or whatever tool is only as good as its data set and thats a fact.

Its not crap if it screws up, sadly, not many people keep the datasets as updated as we should.

We spend time trying to stop x program stuffing up a lot more than trying to make sure the data works, even if it all worked we would still have issues.

People talk about the ai take over apocolipse thing.

It won't be the robots messing up, we will probably mess up first because of a glitch we  from something we rely on and freak.

Look at the news for example, facebook went down yesterday and its now the end of the world.

Take the net down and the world will end all right.

My suspicion, and not just in this case, is that there is a widespread use of dictation (speech-to-text) software these days.  With words such as wonder and wander, when said in the flow of normal speech often sound remarkably similar, as the vowel gets what I call " schwa ( https://onelook.com/?w=schwa&ls=a ) -ed".  Unless you're using dictation software that has some AI features where it looks at surrounding context before closing in on the actual word wanted you'll often get substitutions like this.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

In this case, I observed this error long before dictation software became common and its consistent, which wouldn't be expected to be the case with dictation software.

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 12:41 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] wonder vs. wander

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

Our choir director got on our cases as we all tended to sing "wonder" instead of wander. So "I wonder as I wanter" became, well, a mess. And I often tend to say "wander" as "wonder" and even in braille I would mis read it as "wand der" "short a as in and" My British accent tends to get in the way when I sing so yeah there you go.

On 18 Nov 2018, at 10:22, Gene wrote:

A pertinent question is why wander is incorrectly used.  Is it because those who do so don't read Braille, were blind since birth and didn't learn to spell well because they didn't read words?  And, further, does the accent spoken where people live who make this mistake contribute to it?  Is wonder spoken more like wander in those regions?

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 11:40 AM

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to
see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time
to see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at
things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're
curious about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the
universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may
never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into
galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.

Houw er ook rekening mee dat voor sommige mensen op dit forum, waaronder mij zelf, Engels niet hun eerste taal is.

Op 18-11-2018 om 18:40 schreef Travis Siegel:

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too, especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.

Hope Williamson <isepic@...>

It's a good question. Although I definitely know the difference between "wonder" and "wander." I've been blind since birth. Although I did learn braille when I was in school. Problem is, I've had data retention issues my entire life. As in I turn the page, and completely forget what I was reading.

    It's just easier for me to listen, because I actually retain more that way. People say you only retain about 10-15% of what you hear, but I think for me it's probably about 50 or 60% at least.

Lino Morales

I’m with you Hope. I retain probably about those numbers too when I hear audible books etc. Now hopefully that will change once I get my fingers on a Brailleiant 14 BI from the NC state library on loan soon.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

It's a good question. Although I definitely know the difference between
"wonder" and "wander." I've been blind since birth. Although I did learn
braille when I was in school. Problem is, I've had data retention issues
my entire life. As in I turn the page, and completely forget what I was
reading.

     It's just easier for me to listen, because I actually retain more
that way. People say you only retain about 10-15% of what you hear, but
I think for me it's probably about 50 or 60% at least.

Lenron

I don't know what those people are talking about. I remember what I
hear just fine.

On 11/18/18, Lino Morales <linomorales001@gmail.com> wrote:
I’m with you Hope. I retain probably about those numbers too when I hear
audible books etc. Now hopefully that will change once I get my fingers on a
Brailleiant 14 BI from the NC state library on loan soon.

10

________________________________
It's a good question. Although I definitely know the difference between
"wonder" and "wander." I've been blind since birth. Although I did learn
braille when I was in school. Problem is, I've had data retention issues
my entire life. As in I turn the page, and completely forget what I was
reading.

It's just easier for me to listen, because I actually retain more
that way. People say you only retain about 10-15% of what you hear, but
I think for me it's probably about 50 or 60% at least.

--
Lenron Brown
Cell: 985-271-2832

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Could it be that they are dictating the text?
I see this a lot on dictated text messages.
Its also hard to hear the difference unless you spell the word.

In English though there are more odd things like
There was a flaw in their argument, where the wrong There can get put in.

also he was made of the write stuff, instead of Right stuff.

Enquires instead of enquires. I can easily miss such things as spell checkers are of no use as they are valid words.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to
see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time
to see what's going on around you. You wander around, looking at
things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're
curious about something. Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the
universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may
never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into
galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.

Rick

Hello Travis:

I find your email to be quite insensitive. As you are probably aware, this
list is comprised of people from all over the globe, many of whom are not
native English speakers. I am always impressed when people are capable of
speaking an additional language other than their native tongue and
criticizing them for grammatical mistakes on a list not focused on
grammatical correctness is petty and unwarranted. It is also off topic.

Rick

Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to see
so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time to
see what's going on around you.  You wander around, looking at things, and
simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're curious
about something.  Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the universe and
everything, but if you wander about such things, you may never find your way
back to your back yard, having being swept off into galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.

Gene

These days, when there are no standards for writing on e-mail lists, instant messaging, texting, etc. people just write or dictate and never check anything.  So easily distinguishable or not makes little difference.

Sent: Monday, November 19, 2018 4:07 AM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
Not trying to make anybody mad here, but it really is disconcerting to
see so many people here using wander and wonder interchangeably.
Wander (with an"A" ) is what you do when you're out and about, and don't
have any particular place to be, and you just feel like taking your time
to see what's going on around you. You wander around, looking at
things, and simply taking things easy.
On the other hand, wonder (with an "O" ) is what you do when you're
curious about something. Yeah, it's ok to wonder about life, the
universe and everything, but if you wander about such things, you may
never find your way back to your back yard, having being swept off into
galaxies unknown.
And, of course, it's perfectly acceptable to wonder about wandering too,
especially if you're wondering why so many people wander into things.

Gene

I'm writing as a moderator to explain my thinking about the message.  Of course, if the owner disagrees, that will be the controling decision.

While it is generally not done and not considered proper, I think you are overreacting.  For one thing, I see this error with native English speakers.  I don't recall seeing it with non native speakers.  Since this sort of discussion never takes place on the list, I let it pass.  a little variety is enjoyable and may stimulate thought and awareness.  No one was flamed.  No one was disparaged.  These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.

On Mon, Nov 19, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Gene wrote:
These days, being offended by everything is a cultural passtime and fixsture.  I don't see anything offensive in the message.
Amen, Gene!  (And I won't correct either of the spelling errors because they're not relevant!)

The message was also not specifically targeted at any individual, and dealing with misspellings of similar words or homonyms does create confusion, even if momentary.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

I usually don't spell-check messages.  I read them before I send them to check for words that sound misspelled but also to make sure what I wrote is clear, accurate, such as commands given during describing a procedure, and not clumsily worded.  I may start spellchecking them as well but my main concern on e-mail lists is not to have spelling errors that are more than minor and to have clear writing and accuracy.  Rereading before sending is important in all those respects.

[...]

Kwork

Eye no on phones that can bee true four sure. Awl sew words with too ore three different ways of spelling them can cause problems. Walking outside too check the male fore instants can pro deuce to different meanings if considered closely. Fore the cited, the spelling inn this e male will look interesting inn certain sections, even though NVDA is saying awl words correctly, if exaggeratedly at times.

On 11/18/2018 11:41 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

The only spelling anomaly common among blind people that really annoys me to no end is misspelling captcha as capture. Bad enough in everyday use, but worse when we're filling out support tickets on websites and professional emails, and asking companies to make their "captures" accessible. Um, no. The form that includes an unsolvable by screenreader image verification is called captcha. c, a, p, t, c, h, a.

On 11/19/2018 9:54 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Gerardo Corripio

Which reminds me, in Spanish, I’ve seen blind people spell stuff wrong like in Dropbox, they have written stuff like Dropvo. The funniest one I’ve come across was instead of Firefox, they wrote Firefo. I know we shouldn’t laugh at these, but I mean withoutBraille/ready Access or someone sighted to tell them the correct spelling, what or how would they know the correct spelling of these terms? IN thepast, I’vecorrected them, but have gotten beaten of that I’m a perfectionist etc., or thatai want to show mysuperiority, which I’d never do such a thing.

                                                                                              Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

From: Rick