Internet radio software recommended for use with NVDA?

Jacob Kruger

Asking this since the older, free version of tapIn radio was perfectly usable, but, they've now updated to what seems to be a paid-for version, and while it's station listings will be kept up to date, the older version will start lacking functional entries in the station listings.

Now, while I understand paying for worthwhile software, I tried out the demo version of the new software, and, didn't like it's reworked interface, and, secondly, I don't see why I should pay for something like this if there are free alternatives that people would recommend?

So, suggestions on what to try out?

Would be nice if you could record it's output via the software, but, that's not the end of the world, since the main thing is being able to browse station categories/catalogues, being able to then control playback, audio output, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

What didn't you like about the interface?  You don't have to pay to use it because of a design flaw or bug, whetever it is.

After the demo period runs out, if you open the program and start it playing, it will be fully functional for a few minutes.
Then, an ok button will come up.  If you have already decided to listen to a specific station and have it playing, it will play that station until you activate the ok button.  The program will then close and the default web browser will open to the Tapin site.  of course, you can just close it.

To keep the playlist current, use the search for updates feature at intervals.  I haven't tried to see how often updates come out.  My impression is something like once a month or two.

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] Internet radio software recommended for use with NVDA?

[...]

Ejaz Shah

I'm using Simple Radio. The Windows 10 app is usable, not accessible. Although it's fully accessible on Android.

On 19/11/2018 2:18 am, Jacob Kruger wrote:
[...]

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

There is speak on media center you could try out also which can be found at http://www.speakon.org.uk/SpeakOn.html

For otThere is also a speech hub package people can use with nvda for extra voices but they also need to install the add on for that.

Gene nz

On 19/11/2018 4:03 PM, Ejaz Shah wrote:
[...]

Well, for example, it seems to think that here in South Africa, there are only like 3 streaming radio stations?

Besides that, the genre/locality browsing interface is rather clumsy, but, suppose that might just be due to me being somewhat used to the previous interface.

I'll probably give it a try again, but, like said, doesn't help that it seems to think that there are only 3 radio stations under the South African locale, where the prior version shows up to something like 70+, but anyway.

Maybe I will be able to copy the listings across versions as well - who knows.

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:18 PM

[...]

Thanks.

Will also try this one out a bit more, and, would just prefer if they gave you a choice about whether to let it speak on it's own, or just ask your screen reader to speak on it's behalf.

Also, each time I alt + tab away, or focus on it again, the system volume level for the specific piece of software drops to 60% - under windows 10 you can set separate volume levels for different pieces of software.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2018-11-19 9:27 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

Hi

[...]

Ok, Gene, just to provide an update that it was actually my own fault in terms of not locating the local radio stations - besides the treeview item for national radio, there is an additional one labeled regions, and, under there, under Africa, South Africa, there are over 100 stations listed, so, I will play around with the updated interface a bit more.

And, yes, nice to hear it tell me that it recognises that I am making use of NVDA, etc. - know they adopted forms of screen reader support a while ago, but anyway.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:18 PM

[...]

I haven't checked that interface much.  the search interface, where you search for a station by typing something like a country is different but similar to many applications.  Now, instead of just typing, there is a search button in the interface.  I don't know why you only see three stations or how you are looking.  I typed South Africa into the search field and searched.  I didn't count how many stations were found, but I downarrowed more than twenty times in the list and I was still moving to new stations.  I am using the newest version.

Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2018 3:18 PM

[...]

seb naudet

hello,

radiosure is a good alternative.

free version is ok for a daily use.

and there's a nvda addon with shortcuts  to quickly access volume,
favorits etc...

     all the best

Le 18/11/2018 à 22:18, Jacob Kruger a écrit :
[...]

.

Davy Cuppens

Many European stations are nolonger available with this software.
Regards
Davy