Gramarly for Firefox and conflicts with NVDA

Hello folks,
Anyone here is using Grammarly add-on?
If so, you might already know what it's like.
If not, let me try to explain.
Grammarly was supposed to be a spell checker, what it really does and very well.
What happens, however, is that the add-on is conflicting with NVDA on the exchange between focus and browse mode.
Every time I try to write something with this add-on enabled, I'm not able to do NVDA enter in the field so  I can type. So, if I want to type anything, I need to restart Firefox, aim the field and type without exiting, since once I do it, goodbye, I will never again be able to do NVDA let me type on the field.
 Well, the add-on is really very good, but if I can't find any way to solve this problem, surely I will prefer to let it disabled as I'm doing right now so I can type normally and without troubles.
If anyone uses it or even have any possible solution, please give me a hand. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Marcio,

I do have the Grammarly add-on active in Firefox, but I don't seem to have any problem switching between browse and focus modes.  I don't normally use NVDA+enter to do it though - do you have a particular site you need to do that on?

If I go to say google.com I can move in and out of the edit box changing the contents of it as I like.  Even with automatic switching between modes disabled, I can enter and escape to change modes, or NVDA+spacebar and it all works as it should.

My other question is, do you have enough sight to see Grammarly's red lines, or have you found a way to detect what it has highlighted with NVDA?  Because I've never managed to get it to work with NVDA.  It doesn't break anything for me, but I just can't get NVDA to see what it is flagging anywhere.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Cheers,
Marcio
Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email
My GMail
Add me on Skype
Follow me on Twitter
Follow or add me on Facebook
Ask me something on CuriousCat

Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)

My WhatsApp

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Hi Quentin,
To change the mode I use NVDA+spacebar, what gives me a error every time I try until I restart my browser.
I noticed it writing on the m.facebook message field, do you know?
No, I can't see the red lines you said, even not knew about them lol
I tested it writing something wrong and then I clicked where was writen "protected by grammarly", something like this.
After the second click it showed me some suggestions to the word I've typed.

Em 21/11/2018 07:11, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

Interesting.  If I am writing in say the update status field on m.facebook.com, if I type "I have an hat." (and then try not to press enter so my friend's don't think I'm weird), I don't get any indication moving through the text, but if I go to next object, I get "1", which is grammarly's button indicating there is one err or (an hat instead of a hat), If I go to the previous object, I get  "an hat" and then "I have", as if it's separated the error text from the first part of the sentence.  I'll have to explore further.

Either way, I can use NVDA+spacebar to jump between browse and focus mode without issue.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:03 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I'm relatively new to Grammarly, but I really like the add-on.
I'll explore here, too, and see if I can find a solution to this.
Testing with the update status field I had the same result you wrote, it seems the error only occur in the messages' section.
Anyway, thanks for your help! :)

Em 21/11/2018 08:18, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

But if you disable Grammarly, the messages field works normally?

Facebook is a weird beast, and they're constantly changing it.

Also, on grammar checkers, another one you might investigate is ProWritingAid, from memory you need to pay for it, but it does some interesting analysis, and it has an accessible web-based editor: https://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/Editor?screenReaderFriendly=true

Actually I just had another look, you can use it free with some limitations, or you can buy a license either for one, two or three years, or lifetime - they're on sale for black friday so one year is $40 up to lifetime is $87.  Try it out obviously before you buy it but if you would find it useful, that lifetime license cost is 50% off.

(I should be clear, I don't have any affiliation, I do have a license myself which I purchased, partly because I was happy to support the only grammar checker with any accessibility at all (at the time I checked), though actually, I haven't used it in a little while myself).

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:28 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, if I disable it, the field gets back to normality.
Indeed, Facebook is kinda weird. They there seems to be changing everything each minute, I don't like it at all.
I'll look through this alternative you said, it seems too more interesting.
Thanks.

Em 21/11/2018 08:48, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

[...]

That is odd.  Hard to say where the issue lies and no doubt in the time it takes to investigate, Facebook will probably change it anyway.

Do let me know how you find ProWritingAid - or indeed any other grammar checkers.  I haven't gone looking in awhile, but a search for "best grammar checker" or "grammar checker comparison" usually yeilds plenty of options to try.

I recall trying Hemingway Editor (I really like the idea, but it's just not accessible at all), Ginger, and I'm sure Whitesmoke, but just looking at this first result on Google: https://financesonline.com/top-20-grammar-checker-software-solutions/ I don't actually recognise most of the others, so their might be some new players to try.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:54 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

If this Grammarly add on is specific for Firefox and NVDA, is it really necessary?  Firefox has a spell as you go feature that flags misspellings in edit fields.

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Use the command NVDA space to turn browse mode on when you want it on and off when you want it off.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 2:28 AM
Subject: [nvda] Gramarly for Firefox and conflicts with NVDA

[...]

Gene

NVDA enter is not the documented command to turn browse mode on and off.  I gave it in an earlier message and the message quoted below mine explains the way people do this most of the time.  Use either one you wish, but this thread illustrates the importance of using correct commands in general, not commands that work but aren't correct.  You never know when you will have situations that cause problems with commands that "get by."

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 3:11 AM

[...]

You said NVDA enter in your message.  If you don't read messages before sending, it is a good idea.  You may make mistakes when writing that you catch when reading before sending.  I read mail before sending and I see errors in commands that I made when writing and I suspect this is common..

Gene

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:01 AM

[...]

I don't know if there is a specific Firefox add-on, but it is not limited to any one browser.  Evidently, it checks spelllings but it advertises itself as a grammar checker, which is its main purpose.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 8:51 AM

[...]

But I can't even write something when this add-on is enabled. I just can't enter on the field to do it.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:01 AM

[...]

Actually, this is not specific for Firefox and NVDA, I guess. It might have for Google Chrome etc.
Well, nice point, I always can use just the Firefox native function. I was just wanting to experiment something new, do you know?
Em 21/11/2018 12:51, Ron Canazzi escreveu:

[...]

This may not matter, but are you using Quantum Firefox, that is, a version starting with 60X?  You may be saying that any way you try to turn on forms mode, it doesn't turn on.  But this needs to be clarified.  if you use the command NVDA key space, do you hear the tone that tells you that forms mode is on?  Can you then up and down arrow through the page?  I'm trying to figure out what the problem is.  Is it that text isn't entered into the field even though forms mode is on or is it that forms mode can't be turned on?

At this point, we don't know if the problem has anything to do with NVDA.  Discussing these sorts of questions may help us find out.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:01 AM

[...]

I'm using Firefox 63.0.3 (64-bit).
When I try to enter the field NVDA just doesn't perform the action. Do you know that sound error.wav ? That's what I get.
You think it may be due the Firefox version?

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:01 AM

[...]

I don't have any opinion.  I'm asking so others may discuss your answer if they know or have any opinion.

Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2018 4:01 AM

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

My main issue is that I tend to not hit the space bar quite hard enough and you get concatenated words!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

www.nvaccess.org

Twitter: @NVAccess

Oh, I know what it's like. Sometimes I do the same.
But I'm really not doing it now. Anyway, I still don't know what's happening.
I contacted their support, but haven't had any answers so far, when I'm writing this. Let's see if it changes.
Em 22/11/2018 04:35, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

My main issue is that I tend to not hit the space bar quite hard enough and you get concatenated words!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-