From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Quentin Christensen
Sent: November 21, 2018 5:48
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Grammarly for Firefox and conflicts with NVDA

But if you disable Grammarly, the messages field works normally?

Facebook is a weird beast, and they're constantly changing it.

Also, on grammar checkers, another one you might investigate is ProWritingAid, from memory you need to pay for it, but it does some interesting analysis, and it has an accessible web-based editor: https://prowritingaid.com/en/Analysis/Editor?screenReaderFriendly=true

Actually I just had another look, you can use it free with some limitations, or you can buy a license either for one, two or three years, or lifetime - they're on sale for black Friday so one year is $40 up to lifetime is $87.  Try it out obviously before you buy it but if you would find it useful, that lifetime license cost is 50% off.

(I should be clear, I don't have any affiliation, I do have a license myself which I purchased, partly because I was happy to support the only grammar checker with any accessibility at all (at the time I checked), though actually, I haven't used it in a little while myself).

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:28 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:

I'm relatively new to Grammarly, but I really like the add-on.
I'll explore here, too, and see if I can find a solution to this.

Testing with the update status field I had the same result you wrote, it seems the error only occur in the messages' section.
Anyway, thanks for your help! :)

Cheers,
Marcio

Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email
Add me on Skype
Follow me on Twitter
Follow or add me on Facebook
Ask me something on CuriousCat

Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)

My WhatsApp

Em 21/11/2018 08:18, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

Interesting.  If I am writing in say the update status field on m.facebook.com, if I type "I have a hat." (and then try not to press enter so my friend's don't think I'm weird), I don't get any indication moving through the text, but if I go to next object, I get "1", which is grammarly's button indicating there is one err or (an hat instead of a hat), If I go to the previous object, I get  "an hat" and then "I have", as if it's separated the error text from the first part of the sentence.  I'll have to explore further.

Either way, I can use NVDA+spacebar to jump between browse and focus mode without issue.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 9:03 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Quentin,
To change the mode I use NVDA+spacebar, what gives me an error every time I try until I restart my browser.
I noticed it writing on the m.facebook message field, do you know?
No, I can't see the red lines you said, even not knew about them lol
I tested it writing something wrong and then I clicked where was writen "protected by grammarly", something like this.
After the second click it showed me some suggestions to the word I've typed.

Cheers,
Marcio

Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email
Add me on Skype
Follow me on Twitter
Follow or add me on Facebook
Ask me something on CuriousCat

Phone(s):
(+55)21-9-81615268 (Tim-RJ)

My WhatsApp

Em 21/11/2018 07:11, Quentin Christensen escreveu:

Hi Marcio,

I do have the Grammarly add-on active in Firefox, but I don't seem to have any problem switching between browse and focus modes.  I don't normally use NVDA+enter to do it though - do you have a particular site you need to do that on?

If I go to say google.com I can move in and out of the edit box changing the contents of it as I like.  Even with automatic switching between modes disabled, I can enter and escape to change modes, or NVDA+spacebar and it all works as it should.

My other question is, do you have enough sight to see Grammarly's red lines, or have you found a way to detect what it has highlighted with NVDA?  Because I've never managed to get it to work with NVDA.  It doesn't break anything for me, but I just can't get NVDA to see what it is flagging anywhere.

Regards

Quentin.

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM marcio via Groups.Io <marcinhorj21=yahoo.com.br@groups.io> wrote:

Hello folks,
Anyone here is using Grammarly add-on?
If so, you might already know what it's like.
If not, let me try to explain.
Grammarly was supposed to be a spell checker, what it really does and very well.
What happens, however, is that the add-on is conflicting with NVDA on the exchange between focus and browse mode.
Every time I try to write something with this add-on enabled, I'm not able to do NVDA enter in the field so  I can type. So, if I want to type anything, I need to restart Firefox, aim the field and type without exiting, since once I do it, goodbye, I will never again be able to do NVDA let me type on the field.
 Well, the add-on is really very good, but if I can't find any way to solve this problem, surely I will prefer to let it disabled as I'm doing right now so I can type normally and without troubles.
If anyone uses it or even have any possible solution, please give me a hand. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Marcio

Where to find me:
My Yahoo! email
My GMail

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Quentin Christensen

ProWritingAid is a general grammar checker.  It doesn't have an add-in for the browser like Grammarly does, although it does have one for Word.  That online editor I linked to is accessible.  Their "main" editor looks like it has changed since I last tried it so I'm not sure what it's like these days.

There are lots of different grammar checkers around, and actually a google for "Best grammar checker for facebook" reveals a couple of comparison reviews (which I haven't read yet).

One of Grammarly's claimed benefits is that it highlights issues in text in basically any edit field, so facebook messages, Gmail, twitter, your blog, etc, without needing to copy the text into an external program or website.  Which is great, except it isn't accessible.  ProWritingAid mostly relies on dropping your text in that editor and checking it there.  And some of the other tools likely work differently again.  ProWritingAid was designed (as far as I know) as a mainstream program, but they did build an accessible interface for it - I don't know whether they had users request it, or whether they did it off their own bat, but either way, good on them, even though they made it a separate editor, rather than making the main one accessible (at least initially, like I said, I haven't tried the main one lately).

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 10:10 PM Brian K. Lingard <bkl@...> wrote:

Dear Quentin & List:

Is Pro Writing Aid just for Facebook or NVDA?

Brian IK. Lingard