Switch from Desktop mode laptop mode

Michael Munn

Hi all, this is Michael. I have a question about switching from Desktop layout to Laptop layout on a Laptop.
Few weeks ago I got a shiny new computer from School. That Computer have both Jaws and NVDA installed in it.
After I'm done setup Jaws the Way I liked I proceed to NVDA.
I forgot that I have NVDA desktop Keyboard layout set as default. I went ahead and press Ok on do not show  welcome screen when I start NVDA then I pressed  the ok button.
I'm using an HP Laptop.
Caps lock key  is not available for me.
Where is the insert key on a Laptop?
All feedback  and answers are greatly
 appreciated
Thanks
Best Regards
Michael Munn

David Moore

Hi!

I have an HP Laptop, and the Insert key is holding down the FN key, and pressing the print screen key, the second from the top right!

How come you cannot use your caps lock, because that is what I always use?

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi all, this is Michael. I have a question about switching from Desktop layout to Laptop layout on a Laptop.

Few weeks ago I got a shiny new computer from School. That Computer have both Jaws and NVDA installed in it.

After I'm done setup Jaws the Way I liked I proceed to NVDA.

I forgot that I have NVDA desktop Keyboard layout set as default. I went ahead and press Ok on do not show  welcome screen when I start NVDA then I pressed  the ok button.

I'm using an HP Laptop.

Caps lock key  is not available for me.

Where is the insert key on a Laptop?

All feedback  and answers are greatly

 appreciated

Thanks

Best Regards

Michael Munn

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

Are you saying there is no caps lock key or it just was not checked to use it?

Usually on a keyboard the insert key is above the arrow key there is a 6 pack of keys there and on this one it is the top left one..

also on a numeric key pad it is the zero on it.

You could try one of the following with the number 1 key on the keyboard which would be insert key + 1 this would turn on input help and then you could locate the other insert key or caps lock key then turn it off.

Then use the following nvda key + ctrl key + the letter K for keyboard a menu should come up then tab down to then from there you can pick your keyboard layout and under neath it in my case i have checked all 3 boxes for the modifier key you will need to arrow down to do this and check them with space bar.

hopefully it get you up and running and if happy save your settings.

Gene nz

On 24/11/2018 12:54 PM, Michael Munn wrote:
Hi all, this is Michael. I have a question about switching from Desktop layout to Laptop layout on a Laptop.
Few weeks ago I got a shiny new computer from School. That Computer have both Jaws and NVDA installed in it.
After I'm done setup Jaws the Way I liked I proceed to NVDA.
I forgot that I have NVDA desktop Keyboard layout set as default. I went ahead and press Ok on do not show  welcome screen when I start NVDA then I pressed  the ok button.
I'm using an HP Laptop.
Caps lock key  is not available for me.
Where is the insert key on a Laptop?
All feedback  and answers are greatly
 appreciated
Thanks
Best Regards
Michael Munn

The person didn't say anything about not being able to use capslock.  The person evidently doesn't know about it.  It isn't on by default.  you have to go into the keyboard layout and turn on this option.  I don't use current versions of NVDA so I won't explain how this is done, since the interface has changed and the method may not be the same.

Hi all, this is Michael. I have a question about switching from Desktop layout to Laptop layout on a Laptop.

Few weeks ago I got a shiny new computer from School. That Computer have both Jaws and NVDA installed in it.

After I'm done setup Jaws the Way I liked I proceed to NVDA.

I forgot that I have NVDA desktop Keyboard layout set as default. I went ahead and press Ok on do not show  welcome screen when I start NVDA then I pressed  the ok button.

I'm using an HP Laptop.

Caps lock key  is not available for me.

Where is the insert key on a Laptop?

All feedback  and answers are greatly

 appreciated

Thanks

Best Regards

Michael Munn

Chris Mullins

Hi Michael

use Windows+b to access the system tray and if NVDA does not appear as an icon there, press spacebar on Notification Chevron icon.  This will open the overflow notification area toolbar, which you access by pressing left arrow, then use up/down arrows to move through the list.

Press spacebar on NVDA to  open the NVDA menu.  Press enter on Prefferences, followed by Settings.  In the first control you land on, arrow down to “keyboard”, then tab into the related controls.  Here you can set Caps lock as an NVDA modifier.  You can also set either or both Insert keys as modifiers too.  Tab to OK to save settings.  Now you can use Capslock + 1 (on number row) to switch on NVDA input help  You can then press any key without it activating anything, so you should be able to find you Insert key.

Cheers

Chris