Topics

ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

enes sarıbaş

hi,

So I am doing my masters in linguistics, and have a writing assignment about  a topic in morphology. The problem is, the morphemes are transcribed in the international phonetic alphabet, and bracketed and for this reason nvda will not read them correctly. Has anyone else here done linguistics, and if so how did you solve this problem? I am afraid of failing the assignment not because of a lack of efort, but because I can't access the matterial correctly. Would a braille display help with this?

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Can you describe in detail what is supposed to be there and what you hear nvda saying? It may well be that some clever person here can get regular Expressions to rescue the situation. I don't know but your message does not actually tell us what the problem actually is. I assume that using all for the punctuation level does not resolve the problem for you?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 5:42 AM
Subject: [nvda] ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

hi,

So I am doing my masters in linguistics, and have a writing assignment about a topic in morphology. The problem is, the morphemes are transcribed in the international phonetic alphabet, and bracketed and for this reason nvda will not read them correctly. Has anyone else here done linguistics, and if so how did you solve this problem? I am afraid of failing the assignment not because of a lack of efort, but because I can't access the matterial correctly. Would a braille display help with this?

enes,

What font are they using for the IPA?  There was a recent discussion of this in the JAWS group, Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet.

There are a limited number of IPA fonts that have the capability of being read character-by-character, which is what would be needed here.  It should be up to the instructor, to make sure that material is supplied in accessible format.  If the material is really, really extensive I have to say that it is sometimes easier to have a human reader, but not always.  It's always messy with the IPA since the character names are long and, if you get into diacritics, it gets even messier.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763  

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Yuck! Don't remind me of IPA. I took a class in ita while ago I used a different keyboard that handled unicode utf8 and read char by char, but yeah. you are right, somethingn don't read well, if at all. I wish you luck in your IPA class.

On 26 Nov 2018, at 7:53, Brian Vogel wrote:

enes,

What font are they using for the IPA?  There was a recent discussion of this in the JAWS group, Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet.

There are a limited number of IPA fonts that have the capability of being read character-by-character, which is what would be needed here.  It should be up to the instructor, to make sure that material is supplied in accessible format.  If the material is really, really extensive I have to say that it is sometimes easier to have a human reader, but not always.  It's always messy with the IPA since the character names are long and, if you get into diacritics, it gets even messier.

--

A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
somethingn don't read well, if at all. I wish you luck in your IPA class.
And it's not really intended to be read, in the conventional sense of the word.  It's the graphical representation of a sound sequence as close to "literally" as you can get it.  When you "read" something in IPA you're not conventionally reading it like text but creating a sound stream of phonemes based on their IPA symbols.  It's certainly nothing like reading any natural language that has a written form (sign language being one of the natural languages that has no written form, and there are others).

--

Oh, I did not know of this complication. How awfully messy that is!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 3:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

enes,

What font are they using for the IPA? There was a recent discussion of this in the JAWS group, Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet. ( https://jfw.groups.io/g/main/topic/jaws_and_international/27829868?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,0,140,27829868 )

There are a limited number of IPA fonts that have the capability of being read character-by-character, which is what would be needed here. It should be up to the instructor, to make sure that material is supplied in accessible format. If the material is really, really extensive I have to say that it is sometimes easier to have a human reader, but not always. It's always messy with the IPA since the character names are long and, if you get into diacritics, it gets even messier.

--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

So the concept is then, trying to put sounds into a writable form for a person who cannot see it in the first place. This sounds a bit like some kind comedy sketch from an old goon show.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 6:29 PM

And it's not really intended to be read, in the conventional sense of the word. It's the graphical representation of a sound sequence as close to "literally" as you can get it. When you "read" something in IPA you're not conventionally reading it like text but creating a sound stream of phonemes based on their IPA symbols. It's certainly nothing like reading any natural language that has a written form (sign language being one of the natural languages that has no written form, and there are others).

--

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

enes sarıbaş

hi,

There is the international phonetic alphabet, in which each letter corresponds to a sound in human language. The problem is, NVDA will not pronounce the letters correctly, moreover, I do not know what letter each of them stand for because of this. NVDA will usually read them with wierd and unusual names, or just say symbol 3b32C or something similar and skip over them.

On 11/26/2018 10:18 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Can you describe in detail what is supposed to be there and what you hear nvda saying? It may well be that some clever person here can get regular Expressions to rescue the situation. I don't know but your message does not actually tell us what the problem actually is. I assume that using all for the punctuation level does not resolve the problem for you?
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "enes sarıbaş" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 5:42 AM
Subject: [nvda] ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

hi,

So I am doing my masters in linguistics, and have a writing assignment about a topic in morphology. The problem is, the morphemes are transcribed in the international phonetic alphabet, and bracketed and for this reason nvda will not read them correctly. Has anyone else here done linguistics, and if so how did you solve this problem? I am afraid of failing the assignment not because of a lack of efort, but because I can't access the matterial correctly. Would a braille display help with this?

enes sarıbaş

hi Brian,

This is for a morphology essay, and I am trying to find another Ph.D student to go over the examples with me, as many of them are written in IPA, and bracketed in foreign languages. I am trying to understand the matterial as best as I can without the examples.

On 11/26/2018 3:53 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
enes,

--

Jonathan COHN

Well, I have seen no resources for NVDA, but a professor at Rice University has worked extensively on a Braille version of IPA and has also written a guide to getting IPA to work with JAWS.

A good starting point is from the Braille Monitor at:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm13/bm1302/bm130211.htm

I expect the instructions for JAWS might be easily modified to work with NVDA but I have no idea how the UNICODE character maps for NVDA are defined.

The article also mentions that Duxbury can translate IPA Unicode into Braille but no mention of lib-louis.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan

On 11/26/18, 12:45 AM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of enes sarıbaş" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of enes.saribas@gmail.com> wrote:

hi,

So I am doing my masters in linguistics, and have a writing assignment
about a topic in morphology. The problem is, the morphemes are
transcribed in the international phonetic alphabet, and bracketed and
for this reason nvda will not read them correctly. Has anyone else here
done linguistics, and if so how did you solve this problem? I am afraid
of failing the assignment not because of a lack of efort, but because I
can't access the matterial correctly. Would a braille display help with
this?

Sarah k Alawami

I took it for my singing class. It really does help with foreign languages or people who not speak. It is an amazing language and I hope to one day continue my studies in IPA

On 26 Nov 2018, at 11:16, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

So the concept is then, trying to put sounds into a writable form for a person who cannot see it in the first place. This sounds a bit like some kind comedy sketch from an old goon show.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Vogel" <britechguy@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 6:29 PM

And it's not really intended to be read, in the conventional sense of the word. It's the graphical representation of a sound sequence as close to "literally" as you can get it. When you "read" something in IPA you're not conventionally reading it like text but creating a sound stream of phonemes based on their IPA symbols. It's certainly nothing like reading any natural language that has a written form (sign language being one of the natural languages that has no written form, and there are others).

--

Sarah k Alawami

I read the braille version actually for my singing class. I didn't get it all, my instructor gave it to me which was cool. of him. We also worked on ways I could write it until I got my keyboard to work.

On 26 Nov 2018, at 13:36, Cohn, Jonathan wrote:

Well, I have seen no resources for NVDA, but a professor at Rice University has worked extensively on a Braille version of IPA and has also written a guide to getting IPA to work with JAWS.

A good starting point is from the Braille Monitor at:
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm13/bm1302/bm130211.htm

I expect the instructions for JAWS might be easily modified to work with NVDA but I have no idea how the UNICODE character maps for NVDA are defined.

The article also mentions that Duxbury can translate IPA Unicode into Braille but no mention of lib-louis.

Best Wishes,

Jonathan

On 11/26/18, 12:45 AM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of enes sarıbaş" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of enes.saribas@gmail.com> wrote:

hi,

So I am doing my masters in linguistics, and have a writing assignment
about a topic in morphology. The problem is, the morphemes are
transcribed in the international phonetic alphabet, and bracketed and
for this reason nvda will not read them correctly. Has anyone else here
done linguistics, and if so how did you solve this problem? I am afraid
of failing the assignment not because of a lack of efort, but because I
can't access the matterial correctly. Would a braille display help with
this?

John Isige

The hopefully attached IPA dictionary was posted to this list quite a while ago. I don't think I ever got it to load, but maybe somebody can take a look at it and see if it works.

John Isige

Ah. I see that didn't work. Well, let me try just pasting the text in then.

#Posted by Marshall Flax.
# Converted from http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~reng/jaws-ipa.html

æ    Ash
ç    C Cedilla
ð    Edh
ø    Slashed O
ħ    Crossed H
ŋ    Eng
œ    O E Digraph
ǀ    Pipe
ǁ    Double Pipe
ǂ    Double Barred Pipe
ǃ    Exclamation Point
ɐ    Turned A
ɑ    Script A
ɒ    Turned Script A
ɓ    Hooktop B
ɔ    Open O
ɕ    Curly Tail C
ɖ    Right Tail D
ɗ    Hooktop D
ɘ    Reversed E
ə    Schwa
ɚ    Schwa With Hook
ɛ    Epsilon
ɜ    Reversed Epsilon
ɞ    Closed Reversed Epsilon
ɟ    Barred Dotless J
ɠ    Hooktop G
ɡ    Lowercase Script G
ɢ    Small Capital G
ɣ    Gamma
ɤ    Ram'S Horns
ɥ    Turned H
ɦ    Hooktop H
ɧ    Hooked Heng
ɨ    Barred I
ɪ    Small Capital I
ɫ    Lowercase L With Tilde
ɬ    Belted L
ɭ    Right Tail L
ɮ    L Yogh Digraph
ɯ    Turned M
ɰ    Turned M, Right Leg
ɱ    Left Tail M
ɲ    Left Tail N
ɳ    Right Tail N
ɴ    Small Capital N
ɵ    Barred O
ɶ    Small Capital O E Digraph
ɸ    Phi
ɹ    Turned R
ɺ    Turned Long Leg R
ɻ    Turned R, Right Tail
ɽ    Right Tail R
ɾ    Fish Hook R
ʀ    Small Capital R
ʁ    Inverted Small Capital R
ʂ    Right Tail S
ʃ    Esh
ʄ    Hooktop Barred Dotless J
ʈ    Right Tail T
ʉ    Barred U
ʊ    Upsilon
ʋ    Script V
ʌ    Turned V
ʍ    Turned W
ʎ    Turned Y
ʏ    Small Capital Y
ʐ    Right Tail Z
ʑ    Curly Tail Z
ʒ    Yogh
ʔ    Glottal Stop
ʕ    Reversed Glottal Stop
ʘ    Bull'S Eye
ʙ    Small Capital B
ʛ    Hooktop Small Capital G
ʜ    Small Capital H
ʝ    Curly Tail J
ʟ    Small Capital L
ʡ    Barred Glottal Stop
ʢ    Barred Reversed Glottal Stop
ʣ    D Z Digraph
ʤ    D Yogh Digraph
ʥ    D Curly Tail Z Digraph
ʦ    T S Digraph
ʧ    T Esh Digraph
ʨ    T Curly Tail C Digraph
ʰ    Superscript H
ʲ    Superscript J
ʷ    Superscript W
ʼ    Apostrophe
ˈ    Vertical Stroke Superior
ˌ    Vertical Stroke Inferior
ː    Length Mark
ˑ    Half Length Mark
˞    Right Hook
ˠ    Superscript Gamma
ˡ    Superscript L
ˤ    Superscript Reversed Glottal Stop
˥    Extra High Tone Bar
˦    High Tone Bar
˧    Mid Tone Bar
˨    Low Tone Bar
˩    Extra Low Tone Bar
̀    Grave Accent Above
́    Acute Accent Above
̂    Circumflex Above
̃    Tilde Above
̄    Macron Above
̆    Breve Above
̈    Umlaut Above
̊    Ring Above
̋    Double Acute Accent Above
̌    Wedge Above
̏    Double Grave Accent Above
̘    Advancing Sign Below
̙    Retracting Sign Below
̚    Corner Above
̜    Left Half Ring Below
̝    Raising Sign Below
̞    Lowering Sign Below
̟    Plus Below
̠    Minus Below
̤    Umlaut Below
̥    Ring Below
̩    Vertical Line Below
̪    Bridge Below
̬    Wedge Below
̯    Arch Below
̰    Tilde Below
̴    Superimposed Tilde
̹    Right Half Ring Below
̺    Inverted Bridge Below
̻    Square Below
̼    Seagull Below
̽    Over Cross Above
β    Beta
θ    Theta
χ    Chi
‖    Double Vertical Line
‿    Bottom Tie Bar
ⁿ    Superscript N
↑    Up Arrow
→    Rightward Arrow
↓    Down Arrow
↗    Upward Diagonal Arrow
↘    Downward Diagonal Arrow
͡    Top Tie Bar
    Macron Acute Above
    Grave Macron Above
    Grave Acute Grave Above

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 02:16 PM, Brian's Mail list account wrote:
Precisely.

I also don't know how to explain that we who see and are examining material in the IPA are not trying to read it, but are really using it to "sound it out."

As you're also a Brian, you know what our shared name sounds like.  It would be written in IPA so that linguists, or non-native speakers of a given language, can sound out how we pronounce it.  No one ever reads it character by character using the actual IPA character name, but using the sound (AKA phoneme) that the character represents.

The list that John Isige presented is not comprehensive, either (and, John, that's not a swipe at you, it's just an observation).  A number of the common vowel digraphs of English are missing.

All of this takes me back to when I was studying speech and language pathology for my master's and put together a child-language checksheet for order of acquisition of various English phonemes, morphological markers, as well as interactional skills/communicative intents (among other things).

--

enes sarıbaş

so Brian, you are one of the few people who know what I got myself into then.  I think I can write the morphology assignment with no phonetics. Moreover, as I will do my thesis on pragmatics, I will not use more phonetics for the rest of my master. But I want to eventually learn the alphabet, as I want to do a doctorate in linguistics.

On 11/27/2018 1:44 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Precisely.

I also don't know how to explain that we who see and are examining material in the IPA are not trying to read it, but are really using it to "sound it out."

As you're also a Brian, you know what our shared name sounds like.  It would be written in IPA so that linguists, or non-native speakers of a given language, can sound out how we pronounce it.  No one ever reads it character by character using the actual IPA character name, but using the sound (AKA phoneme) that the character represents.

The list that John Isige presented is not comprehensive, either (and, John, that's not a swipe at you, it's just an observation).  A number of the common vowel digraphs of English are missing.

All of this takes me back to when I was studying speech and language pathology for my master's and put together a child-language checksheet for order of acquisition of various English phonemes, morphological markers, as well as interactional skills/communicative intents (among other things).

--

Vlad Dragomir

Hello,

Just throwing in a word of compassion. I had to abandon my studies because of this, a few years ago. Not being able to follow and do assignments related to phonetics was one decisive reason. All I can say is, let’s hope that someone, somewhere, someday will solve this. It shouldn’t be hard to do.

I do wish you courage, and I would be grateful if you let me know if and how you find a solution, either in private or still on this list.

Best regards,

Vlad.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 11:34 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:
It shouldn’t be hard to do.
Well, and not for the purpose of being nasty or contrary, nothing could be further from the truth.

This is a particular instance where no matter what the accessibility workaround it is taking a medium meant to be accessed by sight, really only accessed by sight, that is a transcription of sound.  It is particularly and peculiarly unsuited to any methods currently known and the only thing I can think of would be if one could get a synthesizer to read the IPA graphemes as phonemes, one-by-one, and even that doesn't come close to connected speech.

I have said, on many occasions, that sometimes there is no substitute for sight and that all accessibility is a workaround which imposes specific limitations not posed by media being "consumed" in the sensory modality for which it was explicitly designed.

--

Sarah k Alawami

We got challenged to IPA the alphabet as in the sound for a would be in my case a diphthong as that's how I myself say it. And b would be 2 sounds etc. It's actually quite interesting and helped me with my german when I was singing good luck with nvda and IPA. I never used it in windows.

On 26 Nov 2018, at 19:56, enes sarıbaş wrote:

so Brian, you are one of the few people who know what I got myself into then.  I think I can write the morphology assignment with no phonetics. Moreover, as I will do my thesis on pragmatics, I will not use more phonetics for the rest of my master. But I want to eventually learn the alphabet, as I want to do a doctorate in linguistics.

On 11/27/2018 1:44 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Precisely.

--

John Isige

That's not really true though. Take the IPA 'j', that has the sound of a
'y' at the beginning of words in English, like 'young'. Obviously I
picked an easy one that you can represent with the normal Latin
alphabet. But you basically go "this character here means what we call a
lateral spirant, which is this noise", in case anybody's wondering
that's the so-called double-l in Welsh, among other languages, e.g.
Navajo. So yes, it was developed by sighted people. But there's nothing
particularly sighted about it. I could just say 'cdj' represents the
final sound in the English word 'edge'. Put another way, everybody has
to learn it. There's nothing about sight that makes you look at an 's'
with a mark under it and immediately go "ah yes, that's the 'sh' sound,
as in English 'ship"! You learn that when you learn the IPA. Now, maybe
it's harder because nobody bothered to name the IPA characters. But
assuming for the moment that they all have some sort of name attached to
them, all you need to know is that currently unannounced character foo
means noise bar, and of course you need character foo to be announced as
character foo.

On 11/27/2018 8:32, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 11:34 PM, Vlad Dragomir wrote:

It shouldn’t be hard to do.

Well, and not for the purpose of being nasty or contrary, nothing
could be further from the truth.

This is a particular instance where no matter what the accessibility
workaround it is taking a medium meant to be accessed by sight, really
only accessed by sight, that is a transcription of sound.  It is
particularly and peculiarly unsuited to any methods currently known
and the only thing I can think of would be if one could get a
synthesizer to read the IPA graphemes as phonemes, one-by-one, and
even that doesn't come close to connected speech.

I have said, on many occasions, that sometimes there is no substitute
for sight and that all accessibility is a workaround which imposes
specific limitations not posed by media being "consumed" in the
sensory modality for which it was explicitly designed.

--

Brian *-*Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*/A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the
need for illusion is deep./*

~ Saul Bellow, /To Jerusalem and Back/