From: "enes sarıbaş" <enes.saribas@gmail.com>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 5:42 AM
Subject: [nvda] ergent help needed with phonetic transcriptions

hi,

So I am doing my masters in linguistics, and have a writing assignment about a topic in morphology. The problem is, the morphemes are transcribed in the international phonetic alphabet, and bracketed and for this reason nvda will not read them correctly. Has anyone else here done linguistics, and if so how did you solve this problem? I am afraid of failing the assignment not because of a lack of efort, but because I can't access the matterial correctly. Would a braille display help with this?

enes,

         What font are they using for the IPA?  There was a recent discussion of this in the JAWS group, Jaws and International Phonetic Alphabet.

          There are a limited number of IPA fonts that have the capability of being read character-by-character, which is what would be needed here.  It should be up to the instructor, to make sure that material is supplied in accessible format.  If the material is really, really extensive I have to say that it is sometimes easier to have a human reader, but not always.  It's always messy with the IPA since the character names are long and, if you get into diacritics, it gets even messier.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Yuck! Don't remind me of IPA. I took a class in ita while ago I used a different keyboard that handled unicode utf8 and read char by char, but yeah. you are right, somethingn don't read well, if at all. I wish you luck in your IPA class.

On Mon, Nov 26, 2018 at 12:44 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
somethingn don't read well, if at all. I wish you luck in your IPA class.
And it's not really intended to be read, in the conventional sense of the word.  It's the graphical representation of a sound sequence as close to "literally" as you can get it.  When you "read" something in IPA you're not conventionally reading it like text but creating a sound stream of phonemes based on their IPA symbols.  It's certainly nothing like reading any natural language that has a written form (sign language being one of the natural languages that has no written form, and there are others).

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Oh, I did not know of this complication. How awfully messy that is!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-