A couple of small annoyances.

MAX <max@...>

I recognize that these are small things that the developers may not think
are important enough to fix. Here goes anyway. When I am opening a file
in word I press control O and then tab twice. Nvda says recently opened
files. You haven't opened any files recently. This was not unexpected the
first time I opened a file after installing nvda. However, I use word
every day and the message continues. At first it was a laugh, then a smile
and now it's I wish it wouldn't do that. Another thing is the
pronunciation of s o u r c e. In the united states source rhymes with
horse not with farce as nvda pronounces it. I have tried to fix it in the
dictionary but when I replace the h in horse with an s it goes back to the
rhyme with farce. Well, I guess that's just the way it is.

73 (Regards).

Max. K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@maxsmusicplace.com

Vacuum Tube Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Hi,
Regarding pronunciation, most of this has to do with the speech synthesizer
in use. Different synthesizers have different rules about text processing,
and I'm thinking this might be at play here. To confirm this, try using a
different speech synthesizer and see if it too pronounces the word
incorrectly.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Gene

Screen-reader designers shouldn't make editorial decisions about what a screen-reader reads that a program displays.  Unless this content isn't seen by sighted people, Windows should read it.

The ispronounciation of source is the result of the synthesizer you are using and not NVDA.  Are you saying it mispronounces that sound in general or just in the word source?

[...]

Source seems to be the only word of that general pronunciation that it messed up.  It does alright with horse.  As my last message I found that edge is still my default browser.  Short between the head sets.  Chrome has a big button labeled make this your default browser but Microsoft must have written an override.  How do I make chrome the default browser?

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

[...]

I don't use Windows 10 which it appears you are.  Others can explain the procedure.

As far as source is concerned, try sorce, with a c, though I doubt that will work.

[...]

I’m sorry for using so much bandwidth.  I think I have tamed this windows machine and have established chrome as my default browser.  The nvda help files work fine when used with chrome.  I don’t even have to move from the bullet to the text to make the link work.  I gather from the conversation that many other voice synthesizers  will work with nvda.  Is there a website that lists them.  It would be nice if they had a try before you buy option.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

[...]

Already tried that.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That sounds like an espeak thing, is that the synth you aare using?
As for verbosity, I tend to just shut it up with any key press.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

I think, generally in windows 10 there are some places where Edge is used no matter what you do, but I believe that you need to actually do as you always could and set up default programs for certain file types, but the old way of letting a browser do it on its own never did work in 10, at least for me, I always had to go to the list of file types and select a default program if it was set as a Microsoft one. another reason I prefer windows 7.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Source seems to be the only word of that general pronunciation that it
messed up. It does alright with horse. As my last message I found that
edge is still my default browser. Short between the head sets. Chrome has
a big button labeled make this your default browser but Microsoft must have
written an override. How do I make chrome the default browser?

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Antique Electronics Site:

Email: max@maxsmusicplace.com <mailto:max@maxsmusicplace.com>

Vacuum Tube Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io
<mailto:Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io>

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io <mailto:funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io>

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io <mailto:funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io>

Gene

There is a specific Windows 10 way to make programs the default.  Someone will describe it.  Some or many programs can't be made the default by using the make default option in the programs themselves but they can be using the Windows 10 method.

Edge does certain very specific things but in general, the browser you make default will open when expected.

Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 1:22 PM

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> Source seems to be the only word of that general pronunciation that it
> messed up.  It does alright with horse.  As my last message I found that
> edge is still my default browser.  Short between the head sets.  Chrome
> has
> a big button labeled make this your default browser but Microsoft must
> have
> written an override.  How do I make chrome the default browser?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>

> Max K 4 O D S.
>

> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>

> Antique Electronics Site:
> <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/>
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

This page has a lot of synthesizers listed.  The ones you pay for usually have demos.

If you are interested in Eloquence, important information is not on the page so ask here.

[...]

Yes, I found that out.  That’s how I was able to fix it.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

There is a specific Windows 10 way to make programs the default.  Someone will describe it.  Some or many programs can't be made the default by using the make default option in the programs themselves but they can be using the Windows 10 method.

Edge does certain very specific things but in general, the browser you make default will open when expected.

> Source seems to be the only word of that general pronunciation that it
> messed up.  It does alright with horse.  As my last message I found that
> edge is still my default browser.  Short between the head sets.  Chrome
> has
> a big button labeled make this your default browser but Microsoft must
> have
> written an override.  How do I make chrome the default browser?
>

> 73 (Regards).
>

> Max K 4 O D S.
>

> I've Never Lost the Wonder.
>

> Antique Electronics Site:
> <http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/>
> http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/

Thank you.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

[...]

Jonathan COHN

In terms of your Microsoft Office issue, it sounds like you need to adjust Microsoft Office startup. In newer versions of Microsoft Offic,e a panel comes up with recent files and templates, with the assumption that you probably want to work on something you recently worked on, and will find it in that panel. There is a setting available to have the program just open a new document when opened directly instead of via an associated file.
Let me know if you have trouble finding the settings, though I am running a slightly older version of Word.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Max,

Since everyone else has had plenty to say on the pronunciation issue, I'll tackle the opening files in Word part.

Firstly, I would say, please don't assume that something is a small thing that we may not think is worth fixing - much more likely, either no-one noticed, or as I sometimes do - someone noticed it, but wasn't in a position to record it at the time, and then forgot.  I started writing this issue and reply up yesterday and then got caught up with something else, and just remembered it now.

So, I have now written up an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/8987

Feel free to subscribe to that issue, or to add anything I forgot.

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Brian's Mail List Acct., Max & List:

Windows 10 has three settings concerning the selection of default programs":
Default Programs, Default Apps and select Default Program by File Type

You want too set each and every one of these to your preferred browser to
avoid Edge showing up when you need a browser.
The file extensions you want to change are: HTTP PDF as well as any other
file type with Edge set as the default browser.
Upon making these changes, and saving your changes, Edge should be out of
your life until Microsoft does something to make it reappear.

Noticed my "g" key was not inserting this letter. Found that somehow my Game
Bar settings had been set to use this key as a hot key to start/stop the
gaming features.
Curses!
Brian K. Lingard

I recognize that these are small things that the developers may not think
are important enough to fix. Here goes anyway. When I am opening a file
in word I press control O and then tab twice. Nvda says recently opened
files. You haven't opened any files recently. This was not unexpected
the
first time I opened a file after installing nvda. However, I use word
every day and the message continue. At first it was a laugh, then a
[...]

I have seen MS Word bring up a panel such as this, however it seems none of the other components of Office 2013 or 2016 doo this.

Brian K. Lingard

In terms of your Microsoft Office issue, it sounds like you need to adjust Microsoft Office Startup. In newer versions of Microsoft Office a panel comes up with recent files and templates, with the assumption that you probably want to work on something you recently worked on, and will find it in that panel. There is a setting available to have the program just open a new document when opened directly instead of via an associated file.
Let me know if you have trouble finding the settings, though I am running a slightly older version of Word.

_._,_._,_