Sent: Monday, November 26, 2018 8:23 PM
Subject: [nvda] Audio Output

Dear Friends,

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Ralph Boersema

I already did this and also already restarted the computer. The problem remains.

Ralph

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Sylvie Duchateau

Hello Ralph,

Did you have a look at the sound settings in the system tray?

If you press windwos+B, use the up arrow key to find the sound icon. It may say "speaker", or "headset".

If it says speakers, right click on it using the appropriate key stroke or shift+f10.

choose "open sound settings"

You will have a list of your sound devices.

Choose your headset and press enter.

Other idea, if your headset is a bluetooth device, do the same procedure to find the bluetooth icon in the system tray.

right click on it to display your bluetooth devices.

Try to disconnect your headset and connect it again.

More radically, uninstall your device and install it again.

That is all I can think of.

I hope you will find a way to solve your problem.

Best

Sylvie

Le 27/11/2018 à 03:44, Ralph Boersema a écrit :

I already did this and also already restarted the computer. The problem remains.

Ralph

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Quentin Christensen

Is NVDA's sound output set to go to your NEW headphones?  You might have two sound devices - one for your old headphones and one for your new ones.  Press NVDA+CONTROL+S to open the synthesizer dialog, then press TAB to output device and ensure the correct device is set.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

In my experience Windows 10 sound is a bit of a mess. All I can suggest is to alter the settings for nvda to the speakers, save the settings, then restart nvda and try to reselect the headphones. It could be for some odd reason that the new headphones are being held onto as the old ones by nvda. Now do not ask me why the other sounds switched cos I'm as confused as you are but it worked for somebody elses machine I was having the problem with. Its mega weird.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Ralph Boersema

Thanks! This has been done and the problem remains. The System sounds are output through the headset, as I want, but the NVDA output goes through the speakers, which I do not want. The synthesizer has been set to output through the headset, but it does not do so.

Warmly,

Ralph

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Ralph Boersema

Thanks! This did not work. However, I now have something more weird. By selecting the laptop speakers, NVDA ouputs through logitech headset (but it cuts off the initial letters of words ). Still more weird, it now sends the system sounds out through the speakers.

The headset is Logitech H820E,.

Warmly,
Ralph

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same
kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output
switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the
headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find
are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to
the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the
laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

That cut off is a sound driver issue. Its been mentioned here before. I suspect you are suffering from the driver problems I seem to remember somebody saying that an add on that pretends to play a silent sound all the time fixes the unmute too late issues on these silly drivers.
As for the rest, well, I still suspect its drivers myself.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same
kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output
switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the
headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find
are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to
the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the
laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Ralph Boersema

I think you're right. I understand that this would be a matter of how NVDA is handling them. So, what if I try uninstalling and reinstalling NVDA? How do I best approach this, so as to keep the same configurations, if possible?

Warmly,
Ralph

Today I replaced my headset (Logitech H820E) with a new one of the same
kind. First it worked well. Then I restarted NVDA and the NVDA output
switched to the laptop speakers. The system sounds still output through the
headset, but NVDA does not. All the sound device settings that we could find
are correct. The NVDA setting under preferences for sound output is set to
the headphone as desired. Nevertheless the NVDA output comes through the
laptop speakers and not the headset. I am using Windows 10.

Any suggestions?

Warmly,

Ralph

Abbie Taylor <abbietaylor945@...>

I could be wrong, but I seriously doubt re-installing NVDA would solve the problem. It sounds like what you might need is an updated sound driver. Call the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk at 800-936-5900. They helped me out with this last year when I had a similar issue after upgrading.
It'll be helpful if you know the brand name of your sound card. Mine is Realtek. I don't remember where I found this information, but it's probably somewhere in your sound settings. Good luck.
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
http://www.abbiejohnsontaylor.com