Windows 10 version 1809?

Lisa P Geibel

Hi,

I'd heard this was released and there were some issues so it was pulled, then, I heard it was tested and sent out again. I looked and do not see that it is available for my husband and I in Windows Update. Was it in fact released and if so, does anyone know how we can force an install of it since it isn't showing up in Windows Update? We're currently using the latest stable release of NVDA and are running Windows 10 version 1803. We're using a Lenovo desk top computer if that makes a difference. We've had issues updating Windows in the past and that's why I'm asking here as we don't want to get too far behind if we can help it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

--
Lisa P. Geibel
email:

Well right now you may still not have it due to upgrade blocks.

If you use icloud, update it, if you use trend micro osftware then you will need to make sure its updated.

Microsoft is testing an update that fixes 3 more issues with its software so when that comes out then maybe.

Finally if you use an old amd hd series video card, and if you want the upgrade now pull it out, chuck it and buy another one or simply just use internal card, a friend had to do that.

On 11/28/2018 6:52 PM, Lisa P Geibel wrote:
Hi,

I'd heard this was released and there were some issues so it was pulled, then, I heard it was tested and sent out again. I looked and do not see that it is available for my husband and I in Windows Update. Was it in fact released and if so, does anyone know how we can force an install of it since it isn't showing up in Windows Update? We're currently using the latest stable release of NVDA and are running Windows 10 version 1803. We're using a Lenovo desk top computer if that makes a difference. We've had issues updating Windows in the past and that's why I'm asking here as we don't want to get too far behind if we can help it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

use the windows media creation tool to get it I already got a release of it today that way and now on doing a second machine.

Gene nz

On 28/11/2018 6:52 PM, Lisa P Geibel wrote:
Hi,

I'd heard this was released and there were some issues so it was pulled, then, I heard it was tested and sent out again. I looked and do not see that it is available for my husband and I in Windows Update. Was it in fact released and if so, does anyone know how we can force an install of it since it isn't showing up in Windows Update? We're currently using the latest stable release of NVDA and are running Windows 10 version 1803. We're using a Lenovo desk top computer if that makes a difference. We've had issues updating Windows in the past and that's why I'm asking here as we don't want to get too far behind if we can help it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I got the upgrade a few days ago. I got the original back in September and had no issues, but when the talk of the fix came out, I simply went to the Windows Update item under control panel and chose to check manually and it was there and downloaded and installed and rebooted.

On 11/28/2018 1:29 AM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:

[...]

They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"

Lisa P Geibel

Hi Gene or anyone else willing to help,

We've used this tool before, but since then, we've had to get a new computer and it has been lost. Can someone give me the site to get it from? Please and thanks.

[...]

Image NVDA certified expert

Kwork

Lisa, on the win 10 forum, Joseph Lee strongly advises not to force Windows to update till it says your system is ready. Here is much of the quoted message he sent out this past week to the Win 10 group. He may chime in later, but wanted to get this to you early:

"As much as I want to see many of you join me in Version 1809, there are times when I and other experts must say, ‘not right now”. A few weeks ago, we as a community saw what happens when a member or two of this community loses valuable data after installing unpatched Version 1809. Since then, the feature update was pulled from distribution, and a month later, it came back with subsequent issues documented by Microsoft and others (iCloud problem, for instance).
I know that some of you are checking for Version 1809 on Windows Update or use Upgrade Assistant/Media Creation Tool to manually install Version 1809. I imagine, even as I speak right now, some of you are pressing Windows+I, select Update and Security, and check for updates in hopes of seeing “Feature update to Windows 10, Version 1809” show up. Or perhaps, by the time I finish speaking, you’re in the middle of downloading Upgrade Assistant and clicking Next button.
To those of you who are doing these right now, I advise you to STOP IMMEDIATELY! There is a reason why Microsoft and others put a stop sign: possible incompatibilities, and making sure your system (software and hardware) is actually ready for Version 1809. Also, as pointed out by another member a few minutes ago, please don’t recommend Upgrade Assistant or Media Creation Tool unless the person who you’re talking to fully understands implications of upgrading early and manually.
Speaking of feature update checks, in the future I will no longer answer when I and others receive posts like the following:
• I checked for updates repeatedly but such and such feature update doesn’t show up on Windows Update.
• When will I get such and such feature update on my computer?
• I want to install such and such feature update manually but don’t know what might end up happening to my computer.
This change from your head list representative takes effect immediately. No change to forum policy whatsoever, because I understand not many folks understand what all this is at first, especially when learning new assumptions when moving from Windows 7/8.1 to 10. Although I might answer some obscure questions about update checks, by now you all should know what my answer to the posts above will be: please listen to notices from Microsoft and others, which essentially comes down to: wait until such and such feature update shows up on Windows Update on its own. Also, even though I’ll leave it up to our topics manager to do it, expect posts of this kind to be locked without notice."

On 11/28/2018 3:37 AM, Lisa P Geibel wrote:
[...]

Hi all,
As the author of the message Travis quoted, I'd say my advice from Win10 forum applies in most cases unless you absolutely need to use a disc image to reinstall Windows 10 somehow (in other words, my advice is applicable if a previous version of Windows 10 is already functional).
As for my administrative pronouncements from Win10 forum, it does not apply outside of that forum (that is, for anyone on NVDA list, please don't treat my advice as coming from an admin, but rather from a Windows Insider and a screen reader developer; I'm not an admin here anymore
Cheers,
oseph

[...]

material at http://www.accessibilitycentral.net Regardless of where
you are in New Zealand if you are near one of the APNK sites you can
use a copy of the NVDA screen reader on one of their computers. To
find out which locations (or location) is near to you please visit
(Aotearoa People's Network Kaharoa). To find an NVDA certified expert
near you, please visit the following link
https://certification.nvaccess.org/. The certification page contains
the official list of NVDA certified individuals from around the
world, who have sat and successfully passed the NVDA expert exam.

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes somebody also had their version of Windows, Ie home or whatever changed after the update. I am awfully glad I'm not running Windows 10.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-