Another problem.

MAX <max@...>

Switching to Google chrome solved my problem with the help file but I am
now getting pop up ads whenever chrome opens. Is there any way to turn
them off?

73 (Regards).

Max. K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@maxsmusicplace.com

Vacuum Tube Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

Get an ad blocker extension.  My preferred one is uBlock Origin.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

Are you signed into Chrome?  I don't know if that makes a difference.  I'm not signed in to Chrome with the Chrome browser and I get no ads.  Also, I'm suspicious that that is adware.  Are you running any sort of antimalware programs?

Switching to Google chrome solved my problem with the help file but I am
now getting pop up ads whenever chrome opens.  Is there any way to turn
them off?

73 (Regards).

Max.  K 4 O DS.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Email: max@...

Vacuum Tube  Site: http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/
Transistor site: http://www.angelfire.com/planet/funwithtransistors/
Woodworking site:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
Funwithtransistors+subscribe@groups.io

funwithtubes+subscribe@groups.io

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood+subscribe@groups.io

MAX <max@...>

I’m running Malware Bytes and I am not signed into Google.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

[...]

Thank you Brian.

I now have it installed, I think, and time will tell if it is and it works.  I get ads when I click on a link in an email message.  So I’ll have to wait for one to test it.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

Get an ad blocker extension.  My preferred one is uBlock Origin.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

MAX <max@...>

Hi again Brian.

I found a message in the recycle bin and tested it.  Before when I clicked the link nvda said alert, alert, alert, and the add popped up.  This time nvda also sounded the alert but nothing popped up.  I guess it works.   Thanks again.

73 (Regards).

Max K 4 O D S.

I've Never Lost the Wonder.

On 2018-11-29 1:04 a.m., Dave wrote:
Hi Steve,

[...]

Peter Beasley

I don’t get any either.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Well for example Ccleaner portable seems to be able to put up a pane randomly now advertising itself as on special offer. Looking at the .ini file you need to stop any vestiges of it running at start up. You only need to have run it once and it will insert itself silently, but as I say it can be disabled.
I do not blame companies for doing this but the problem for us is often that the splash screens are apparently blank being mainly pictures.
Its by no means the only bit of software I've found like this.

I'm still wondering though what your original issue was with apparently missing files or the display of them on his machine.
I notice that superantispyware the free version is now able to spot things inserting themselves as 'invisible' start up items, and stop them from doing it. Its a lot easier than using autoruns to look for strings in the start up registry entries.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

That's more evidence supporting the possibility of adware. I don't know if ad blockers block ads from adware but I think you should investigate further. Other list members will likely discuss other programs to run to see if you have adware. I haven't used enough to discuss the subject much.

Get an ad blocker extension. My preferred one is uBlock Origin.

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

One common add in that has become a pest is the ask toolbar, as it is a kind of go between, IE everything you do is sent to them and adverts inserted back to you. Like many originally useful ideas, its become so associated with rubbish adverts that its virtually useless. Indeed sometimes it is installed without asking and has no removal system other than using an anti malware program.
[...]

Ian Blackburn

Also thank you for that message