i'm new to this list and have a strange issue with NVDA on the windows log on screen

molly the blind tech lover

hey guys, my name is molly and this is my first time posting here. so i apologize if i type in the wrong email address and this message ends up somewhere else.
anyway, i have been using NVDA for 2 years and love it. i seem to be having a strange issue with NVDA not starting at the log on screen even though i've set NVDA to start at the log on screen. on my newly purchased surface laptop, i have NVDA set to start at the log on screen, where i need to enter my pin. i turn on the machine, and i have speech on the log on screen, asking me to sign in. but when i enter my pin, all i hear is it saying * * * the screen doesn't unlock. i also don't hear speech when i swipe around on the touchscreen. this indicates that the log on screen is loading before NVDA is, i end up having to use Narrator to log on. this is strange. do you guys have any ideas as to why this is happening? any suggestions would be most appreciated.
cheers
molly

John Isige

You might try waiting a bit. Even on the same machine, sometimes NVDA
starts on login, and I can input my password, and other times it runs
regular NVDA  and the utilities window comes up, where it tells you
about starting Narrator and sticky keys and stuff like that. Then I have
to hit escape a couple of times, once to get to the lock screen and once
to get back to the login screen. This is on a Windows 10 desktop and
laptop, I haven't messed with a Surface or any other Windows tablet for
that matter, so I'm really not sure what would happen if you're using
that as a touch screen and not with a keyboard hooked up to it.

On 11/28/2018 16:16, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

[...]

Jonathan COHN

Hello Molly and welcome to the NVDA list,

This might depend on your actual startup options. When full disk encryption is enabled on a computer, then the operating system is not fully running when the user name is being prompted for. I am more familiar with this on Macintosh computers, but I expect the same could be happening on Windows. So, even though a sighted person sees a login screen, not all the features available in the OS can be accessed until the startup disk key is enabled.

To test this, try logging out of your system and seeing if NVDA then prompts you for login credentials.

[...]

thanks. i also have a regular laptop and NVDA works on the log on screen.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018, 6:02 PM John Isige <gwynn@... wrote:
You might try waiting a bit. Even on the same machine, sometimes NVDA
starts on login, and I can input my password, and other times it runs
regular NVDA  and the utilities window comes up, where it tells you
about starting Narrator and sticky keys and stuff like that. Then I have
to hit escape a couple of times, once to get to the lock screen and once
to get back to the login screen. This is on a Windows 10 desktop and
laptop, I haven't messed with a Surface or any other Windows tablet for
that matter, so I'm really not sure what would happen if you're using
that as a touch screen and not with a keyboard hooked up to it.

On 11/28/2018 16:16, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

> hey guys, my name is molly and this is my first time posting here. so
> i apologize if i type in the wrong email address and this message ends
> up somewhere else.
> anyway, i have been using NVDA for 2 years and love it. i seem to be
> having a strange issue with NVDA not starting at the log on screen
> even though i've set NVDA to start at the log on screen. on my newly
> purchased surface laptop, i have NVDA set to start at the log on
> screen, where i need to enter my pin. i turn on the machine, and i
> have speech on the log on screen, asking me to sign in. but when i
> enter my pin, all i hear is it saying * * * the screen doesn't unlock.
> i also don't hear speech when i swipe around on the touchscreen. this
> indicates that the log on screen is loading before NVDA is, i end up
> having to use Narrator to log on. this is strange. do you guys have
> any ideas as to why this is happening? any suggestions would be most
> appreciated.
> cheers
> molly

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

It normally should. However if its purely touch screen, actually invoking the keystroke to action the password entered can sometimes now be obvious. To be honest I always suggest use of a keyboard. Trying to ise Windows purely on a touch screen is a short cut to the funny farm!
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-

[...]

hi. when i turn on the tablet i always attach the keyboard first. it's actually hard for me to use the touchscreen with NVDA. so i always attach the keyboard.

briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'