I can't select radio buttons on a webpage using NVDA

Sile

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA.  I am trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each criterion being one row of radio buttons.)

It doesn't matter whether I use firefox or chrome, the radio buttons don't seem to change state whether I hit spacebar or return, or whether I am in edit mode or not.

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

Rosemarie Chavarria

What about trying internet explorer?

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 3:30 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] I can't select radio buttons on a webpage using NVDA

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA. I am trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each criterion being one row of radio buttons.)

It doesn't matter whether I use firefox or chrome, the radio buttons don't seem to change state whether I hit spacebar or return, or whether I am in edit mode or not.

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

Jackie

Have you tried this w/object navigation?

On 11/29/18, Rosemarie Chavarria <knitqueen2007@gmail.com> wrote:

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sile via
Groups.Io

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA. I am trying
to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically ranking students
on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each criterion being one row
of radio buttons.)

It doesn't matter whether I use firefox or chrome, the radio buttons don't
seem to change state whether I hit spacebar or return, or whether I am in
edit mode or not.

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brighter-vision.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

Dan Beaver

I have a very similar problem on the site:

lds.org

There are 2 lists of items at the top of the page.  NVDA doesn't even announce them as links or buttons as it used to do.  I suspect this is due to some changes to the site but it seems it should still work since other links on the same page work just fine.

This has started over the past few releases of NVDA and has been getting worse.  I just noticed how bad it has gotten today.

Any improvements in this would be very greatly appreciated.

Dan Beaver

On 11/29/2018 6:29 PM, Sile via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA.  I am trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each criterion being one row of radio buttons.)

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Gene

I can't run recent versions of NVDA so I can't compare how the page works when I look at it to your experience.  It may help, however if you tell us what browser you are using and give an example of something that used to be a link.  I want to make sure you aren't talking about the three or four clickable items at the top of the page for changing part of the page for the subject you are interested in.

Gene. 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] I can't select radio buttons on a webpage using NVDA

lds.org

There are 2 lists of items at the top of the page.  NVDA doesn't even announce them as links or buttons as it used to do.  I suspect this is due to some changes to the site but it seems it should still work since other links on the same page work just fine.

This has started over the past few releases of NVDA and has been getting worse.  I just noticed how bad it has gotten today.

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Dan Beaver

Gene,

I am running Chrome as my browser. 

Yes, I am talking about those items at the top.  If you click on those they open to additional lists of items that can be clicked on.  Most of them are no longer are identified by NVDA as links.

Dan

On 11/29/2018 8:23 PM, Gene wrote:
I can't run recent versions of NVDA so I can't compare how the page works when I look at it to your experience.  It may help, however if you tell us what browser you are using and give an example of something that used to be a link.  I want to make sure you aren't talking about the three or four clickable items at the top of the page for changing part of the page for the subject you are interested in.

Gene. 

lds.org

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Gene

They aren't links any longer.  they are clickable items and you need to have clickable announcement on if you want them identified.  Or you can have it off and try anything that sounds as though it might be a clickable item to see if anything happens if you are interested in that item.  But that isn't a problem with NVDA.  the page design changed. 
Gene

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 8:12 PM

Gene,

Yes, I am talking about those items at the top.  If you click on those they open to additional lists of items that can be clicked on.  Most of them are no longer are identified by NVDA as links.

Dan

Gene. 

lds.org

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Sile

Hello Gene,  . In this case I do have clickable items enabled, it’s just that they don’t appear to change status when I try to click on them. I’m trying to use either aspace or enter, is there another trick I’m missing?

On Nov 29, 2018, at 11:09 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

They aren't links any longer.  they are clickable items and you need to have clickable announcement on if you want them identified.  Or you can have it off and try anything that sounds as though it might be a clickable item to see if anything happens if you are interested in that item.  But that isn't a problem with NVDA.  the page design changed. 
Gene

Gene,

Dan

Gene. 

lds.org

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Chris Mullins

I tried the “My account and ward” item on the LDS site.  It does not respond to enter or spacebar but does respond to NVDA+numpad slash followed by Numpad slash to simulate a left click.  This may be due to poor site design making these items only responsive to the mouse.

Cheers

Chris     

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dan Beaver
Sent: 30 November 2018 00:54

lds.org

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Gene

Do you look immediately down the page?  The text changes if it does, if you read immediately below the clickable items.  This is with the older version of Chrome I tested with and an older version of NVDA.  Don't do what I did at first and skip down looking for text past the navigation links.  Press enter, the correct command for clicable items, then read down the page from there. 

Also, if you have JAVA scripts disabled or are using a script blocker, the clickable items may not work.  I don't recall if I experimented with this, but such items may require JAVA scripts to work.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 5:42 AM

Hello Gene,  . In this case I do have clickable items enabled, it’s just that they don’t appear to change status when I try to click on them. I’m trying to use either aspace or enter, is there another trick I’m missing?

On Nov 29, 2018, at 11:09 PM, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

Gene

Gene,

Dan

Gene. 

lds.org

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Switch out of focus to browse mode first and then fiddle around with them. NVDA is notorious at not updating the states of radio buttons in a table on a web page. I['m pretty sure there was a debate if this was poor page authoring or not about 2 years ago?
I encountered this recently on a health log in account creation site as well. I could not se my gender. It looked like I was both male and female. A medical miracle but on refreshing the page they seemed to be changed but nvda did not say they had or got them both as on.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@blueyonder.co.uk, putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

From: "Sile via Groups.Io" <somodhrain=googlemail.com@groups.io>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:29 PM

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA. I am trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each criterion being one row of radio buttons.)

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

No browser worked for me. Jaws in the end worked.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:39 PM

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io [mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

Yes I'm sure there is an issue, but see my previous reply, as there was I am sure a debate about it being a page authoring issue, but if this is gaining ground as a practice, maybe nvda needs to look at it again just because its an issue that Jaws has sorted already despite it being possibly bad page design at the heart of it.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 12:53 AM

lds.org

There are 2 lists of items at the top of the page. NVDA doesn't even announce them as links or buttons as it used to do. I suspect this is due to some changes to the site but it seems it should still work since other links on the same page work just fine.

This has started over the past few releases of NVDA and has been getting worse. I just noticed how bad it has gotten today.

Dan Beaver

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA. I am trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each criterion being one row of radio buttons.)

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

No this is noting to do with links its radio buttons,
For instance, select your gender when basically they toggle but nvda ends up showing both as set on.
Its getting quite common.
I thought you were using windows 7? The problem exists on all browsers. Do not know about Chrome as I never use it, but ie waterfox and firefox.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 1:23 AM

I can't run recent versions of NVDA so I can't compare how the page works when I look at it to your experience. It may help, however if you tell us what browser you are using and give an example of something that used to be a link. I want to make sure you aren't talking about the three or four clickable items at the top of the page for changing part of the page for the subject you are interested in.

Gene.

lds.org

There are 2 lists of items at the top of the page. NVDA doesn't even announce them as links or buttons as it used to do. I suspect this is due to some changes to the site but it seems it should still work since other links on the same page work just fine.

This has started over the past few releases of NVDA and has been getting worse. I just noticed how bad it has gotten today.

Dan Beaver

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

--
Dan Beaver (KC4DOY)

Sile

Yes, I tried this ... no  luck ...

--Sile

On 11/30/2018 9:31 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Switch out of focus to browse mode first and then fiddle around with them. NVDA is notorious at not updating the states of radio buttons in a table on a web page. I['m pretty sure there was a debate if this was poor page authoring or not about 2 years ago?
I encountered this recently on a health log in account creation site as well. I could not se my gender. It looked like I was both male and female. A medical miracle but on refreshing the page they seemed to  be changed but nvda did not say they had or got them both as  on.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io" <somodhrain=googlemail.com@groups.io>

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

Gene

Can you give us the address of the page so people can try it?

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 10:45 AM

Yes, I tried this ... no  luck ...

--Sile

> Switch out of focus to browse mode first and then fiddle around with
> them. NVDA is notorious at not updating the states of radio buttons in
> a table on a web page. I['m pretty sure there was a debate if this was
> poor page authoring or not about 2 years ago?
> I encountered this recently on a health log in account creation site
> as well. I could not se my gender. It looked like I was both male and
> female. A medical miracle but on refreshing the page they seemed to 
> be changed but nvda did not say they had or got them both as  on.
>
> Brian
>
> bglists@...
> Sent via blueyonder.
> Please address personal E-mail to:-
> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
> in the display name field.
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io"
> <somodhrain@...>
> To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 11:29 PM
> Subject: [nvda] I can't select radio buttons on a webpage using NVDA
>
>
>> Hello
>>
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA. I am
>> trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically
>> ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each
>> criterion being one row of radio buttons.)
>>
>>
>> It doesn't matter whether I use firefox or chrome, the radio buttons
>> don't seem to change state whether I hit spacebar or return, or
>> whether I am in edit mode or not.
>>
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>
>> --Sile
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>

Jonathan COHN

Well, there are native radio buttons and pseudo radio buttons. If the Web page creator decided to not use the native HTML radio buttons, then they should be adding keyboard handlers and need to add an ARIA attribute to show which button is clicked. Also, most likely these buttons as you describe them will not work on mobile devices.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sile via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:30 PM
Importance: Low

Hello

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile

Sile

Thats a bit tricky - it was a request for a letter of reference for a particular student that is generated by the system just for me :) all those horrible radio buttons, just for me :)

I might be able to get the graduate admissions people to generate a test application though,

--Sile

On 11/30/2018 2:33 PM, Gene wrote:
Can you give us the address of the page so people can try it?

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 30, 2018 10:45 AM

Yes, I tried this ... no luck ...

--Sile

Switch out of focus to browse mode first and then fiddle around with
them. NVDA is notorious at not updating the states of radio buttons in
a table on a web page. I['m pretty sure there was a debate if this was
poor page authoring or not about 2 years ago?
I encountered this recently on a health log in account creation site
as well. I could not se my gender. It looked like I was both male and
female. A medical miracle but on refreshing the page they seemed to
be changed but nvda did not say they had or got them both as on.

Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sile via Groups.Io"
<somodhrain=googlemail.com@groups.io>

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has run into this problem with NVDA. I am
trying to select radio buttons that are within a table (basically
ranking students on a scale from 1-5 on several criteria, with each
criterion being one row of radio buttons.)

It doesn't matter whether I use firefox or chrome, the radio buttons
don't seem to change state whether I hit spacebar or return, or
whether I am in edit mode or not.

Anyone got any ideas?

--Sile