Seeking Input on the Accessibility of the MySQL Workbench Software with NVDA

Humberto

hello everybody,

I am recently taking a course on database concepts in my university to fulfill my requirements for my Information Technology minor. our class is using the MySQL Workbench and server software from Oracle.

My question is: is this application for Windows accessible with JAWS or NVDA? Do I need anything I have to do to run MySQL workbench with one of these screen readers?

Today in class was the first day in which we were supposed to learn how to create models with tables and diagrams for our first database. However, all the input I get from the installed copy of JAWS on my lab computer are some empty listviews labeled, "Add tables," "Add routines" "Add users," "Add diagrams," and others. I can not seem to type in, or edit any columns, rows, or other data within the database model, as the instructor was explaining and telling us how to do it and what to select on what I assume are selectable controls in the GUI.

Are there any specific keyboard commands used in the MySQL workbench application that I should know? Are there any third party scripts that I can load that are available for JAWS?

On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being super accessible, how would anyone with experience with this application rate the its accessibility with JAWS and / or NVDA?

Any advice, feedback, lessons or just advice on how to get the instructor to accommodate for an alternative solution to the MySQL application will be greatly appreciated, as there is an assignment that I have to turn in using the MySQL software next Monday.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely,

Humberto

Avast logo

Affordable Wireless Plans
Set up is easy. Get online in minutes.
Starting at only $14.95 per month!
www.netzero.net

Jacob Kruger

Might not be relevant at all, and don't know mysql workbench at all, but, the following is a fully web-based DB admin tool that I use often enough for mySQL, etc., since I am primarily a web dev. in any case - this is a single .php file that handles everything all in one, including a couple of other database engines, besides mySQL:

https://www.adminer.org/

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
On 2016-10-05 7:24 AM, Humberto wrote:

hello everybody,

[...]

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

I don't suppose its got parts written in Java has it, being Oracle.
 Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

On 2016-10-05 7:24 AM, Humberto wrote:

hello everybody,

[...]

Single file .php script...<smile>

As long as your dev, or live web server has relevant extensions though, see here on my dev server that it can handle mySQL, postgresql, oracle, sqlite, simpleDB, firebird, MSSQL, mongoDB and elasticSearch.

But, like said, it's a pretty much a single file .php script, and I run it under either xampp, or wamp here on my dev machine, or else also run it on live servers, which are actual linux machines.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA

On 2016-10-05 7:24 AM, Humberto wrote:

hello everybody,

[...]

Martin O'Sullivan

Hi

I am using this software as well. however when I read  the https://dev.mysql.com/doc/workbench/en/wb-accessibility.html all it says is that it can be used with a screen reader, however you need the Java Access Bridge in stalled.  I had to install the 32 and 64 bit versions to get it to work.

However I don’t know how to navigate between windows in it without using the mouse.  So I am using the command line at the moment.