NVDA and Chrome and alerts

Dan Beaver

Hi,

More Chrome struggles.

I am now getting the statement "alert" spoken multiple times when I open a website. How do I read those alerts using NVDA? I can't seem to find a way.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

When you open any website or certain websites?  If the latter, could you share which one(s)?

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Dan Beaver

I am just asking if there is a way to read the alerts no matter what page they occur on.  Is this possible with NVDA and chrome?  It is starting to happen on multiple sites but not all sites.

Dan Beaver

On 10/7/2016 12:25 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
When you open any website or certain websites?  If the latter, could you share which one(s)?

    ~ Lauren Bacall

OK, but still, can you give one or two webpages?  It's much easier for me to play with this using NVDA and the fact that I can also see what's happening to come to a possible solution.

I fire up NVDA "on demand" when questions like this arise.  Not having to look for a specific example of what you're referring to by a brute force search is helpful to me.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Dan Beaver

On 10/7/2016 12:56 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

OK, but still, can you give one or two webpages?  It's much easier for me to play with this using NVDA and the fact that I can also see what's happening to come to a possible solution.

I fire up NVDA "on demand" when questions like this arise.  Not having to look for a specific example of what you're referring to by a brute force search is helpful to me.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Dan,

          I get nothing that announces "Alert" when I navigate through to that page and I did not interrupt NVDA speech at all to be certain that I didn't cut this off before it might have occurred.  At first I had an operating theory that it might be ads that are creating these alerts, but even when I turned off Adblock Plus I still do not get them on that page when it loads in the latest version of Chrome (v 53.0.2785.143 m).

          If you have not scanned your machine recently with a malware detector such as Malwarebytes and/or a spyware detector such as Super AntiSpyware I would suggest you do so.  I had fully expected to hear what you're hearing and have visual elements popping up that correspond to same, but am not.  Just the generic nature of the message, "Alert," makes me wonder if you might have an infection of some kind.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Dan Beaver

Thanks for the help.

I have scanned my system this week so I don't think it would be anything like that.

My wife who is sighted will be home shortly so I will have her watch and see what is going on.

Dan Beaver

On 10/7/2016 2:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

            Please do report back with the final result as far as cause and fix.

            One other thing just struck me, could it be that you have an update to Chrome itself waiting?  They recently replaced the conventional hamburger/pancake stack menu key with one that looks like three dots in a vertical column.  When Chrome goes into "I need to be restarted to apply an update" mode for me there is nothing announced but the menu key itself will change color, which serves as an alert.  Try hitting ALT to throw focus on to the menu key and see if that doesn't potentially give you something.

             I'm really curious as to what this is, since it seems to be attached more to your Chrome browser than specific webpages, at least on the whole.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Dejan Ristic

What I can say is, try using an add-on called Objpad to see whether it can help you.

On 10/7/2016 6:17 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:
Hi,

More Chrome struggles.

I am now getting the statement "alert" spoken multiple times when I open a website. How do I read those alerts using NVDA? I can't seem to find a way.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

.

Dan Beaver

Hi, I was just about to send this so here it is:

It turns out that I did not have popups turned off like I thought I had.  My wife said a popup was showing up at the bottom of the screen but to NVDA it was just showing as a graphic with an x link below it.  The x link dismisses the popup.   This behavior is different than Firefox so that is why I didn't notice it.

Now that popups are truly off I am not hearing the alert message at all.

Thanks again.

Dan Beaver

On 10/7/2016 3:27 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

Dan,

            Please do report back with the final result as far as cause and fix.

            One other thing just struck me, could it be that you have an update to Chrome itself waiting?  They recently replaced the conventional hamburger/pancake stack menu key with one that looks like three dots in a vertical column.  When Chrome goes into "I need to be restarted to apply an update" mode for me there is nothing announced but the menu key itself will change color, which serves as an alert.  Try hitting ALT to throw focus on to the menu key and see if that doesn't potentially give you something.

             I'm really curious as to what this is, since it seems to be attached more to your Chrome browser than specific webpages, at least on the whole.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Dejan Ristic

I've just opened the same page, and nothing of the sort occurred. I expected to hear 'Alert' pronounced, but it did not come up, for I wished to catch up with it via Objpad. Sorry for saying the same.

On 10/7/2016 8:29 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:

[...]

          Thanks for completing the circle with the information about the pop-up blocking feature not being active.  Someone else will almost certainly have this same problem sooner or later and it's helpful to have one likely problem-solution pair.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Gene

I don't know what a sighted person may or may not see when alert is spoken.  I seldom use Chrome.  But on the rare occasions when I've used it on Youtube, I've heard "alert" spoken when on a Youtube page where something was going to be streamed.  My speculation was that it might be telling me that I could skip the commercial if I wished.  This would have to be tested to see when alert may or may not be heard.

This definitely is not related to an update.  I heard this months ago and not as a general announcement when using Chrome.

Sent: Friday, October 07, 2016 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] NVDA and Chrome and alerts

Dan,

            Please do report back with the final result as far as cause and fix.

            One other thing just struck me, could it be that you have an update to Chrome itself waiting?  They recently replaced the conventional hamburger/pancake stack menu key with one that looks like three dots in a vertical column.  When Chrome goes into "I need to be restarted to apply an update" mode for me there is nothing announced but the menu key itself will change color, which serves as an alert.  Try hitting ALT to throw focus on to the menu key and see if that doesn't potentially give you something.

             I'm really curious as to what this is, since it seems to be attached more to your Chrome browser than specific webpages, at least on the whole.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Gene

I have popups off and I still had alert spoken when I played audio on a Youtube page.  There was no commercial played so my speculation appears to be wrong.  Whatever is generating the word alert to be spoken either isn't a commercial that can be skipped or there are more causes.  There may be something about the popup that is causing the word to be spoken but I don't think it is the popup itself.  It may be some structure or content in the popup.

Sent: Friday, October 07, 2016 2:27 PM

Dan,

            Please do report back with the final result as far as cause and fix.

            One other thing just struck me, could it be that you have an update to Chrome itself waiting?  They recently replaced the conventional hamburger/pancake stack menu key with one that looks like three dots in a vertical column.  When Chrome goes into "I need to be restarted to apply an update" mode for me there is nothing announced but the menu key itself will change color, which serves as an alert.  Try hitting ALT to throw focus on to the menu key and see if that doesn't potentially give you something.

             I'm really curious as to what this is, since it seems to be attached more to your Chrome browser than specific webpages, at least on the whole.

    ~ Lauren Bacall

Brian's Mail list account

You have to watch those Lerts you know a tiny lert soon grows up and they breed quite fast.
grin...
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal email to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I am now getting the statement "alert" spoken multiple times when I open a website. How do I read those alerts using NVDA? I can't seem to find a way.

Thanks.

Dan Beaver

Brian's Mail list account

They love % signs in their links don't they?

--
*/Brian/*

*/Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.
If you’re alive, it isn’t./*

//~ Lauren Bacall