keyboard question

Melissa G <wvflutist@...>

I'm using NVDA and am not sure of all the hotkeys. The keyboards I am using don't have the insert key, and I read in an article last night that the insert key is being phased out. Many of the ewer keyboarders don't feature it. How in the world am I supposed to do some of the commands with out it.?

Melissa

Tyler Spivey

Go to the NVDA menu, preferences, Keyboard settings.
Select Use CapsLock as an NVDA modifier key.

On 10/10/2016 12:41 PM, Melissa Galbraith wrote:
I'm using NVDA and am not sure of all the hotkeys. The keyboards I am
using don't have the insert key, and I read in an article last night
that the insert key is being phased out. Many of the ewer keyboarders
don't feature it. How in the world am I supposed to do some of the
commands with out it.?

Melissa

Louis Maher <ljmaher@...>

Melissa,

Set NVDA to use the caps-lock key. I believe this can be done on the NVDA opening menu.

Regards
Louis Maher
Phone: 713-444-7838
I'm using NVDA and am not sure of all the hotkeys. The keyboards I am using don't have the insert key, and I read in an article last night that the insert key is being phased out. Many of the ewer keyboarders don't feature it. How in the world am I supposed to do some of the commands with out it.?

Melissa

Gene

The caps lock key is on the left side of the keyboard.  While this will be convenient for some commands that use the NVDA key and another key on the right side of the keyboard, it is hardly convenient for commands such as read tible bar, NVDA t or read dialog, NVDA b or sor doing things like turning speech on and off, NVDA s.  If you want to use NVDA with the intended level of convenience, you either need to get another keyboard or use the lap top layout instead or you can get a USB numpad, which will have an insert key.  You can then continue to use your current keyboard and use the insert on the USB keyboard.