Topics

How can I configure NVDA to speak nothing? #advisory

Jeffrey McFarland

Hi everyone, I just started learning NVDA. So far, I really like the software. I'm
a software developer myself. What attracted me to NVDA is the open and
extensibility of the software. As a beginning learner of NVDA, I wanted to first start by turning off all speech of the software.
I then wanted to start turning on speech for certain tasks as I needed them. So I navigated to the preferences and turned off all check boxes that looked like they trigger speech. After I saved and applied changes, I navigated around my PC and still heard a lot of speech. How can I disable ALL speech and still have NVDA running?

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi

If you still want nvda running but no voice out put at all use the nvda key + letter S and toggle it to speech mode off.

NVDA will still be running but you will not hear any thing.

Under the tools then speech viewer section in nvda you can also output the what is said by nvda to a text based screen.

Gene nz

On 9/12/2018 10:00 AM, Jeffrey McFarland wrote:
Hi everyone, I just started learning NVDA. So far, I really like the software. I'm
a software developer myself. What attracted me to NVDA is the open and
extensibility of the software. As a beginning learner of NVDA, I wanted to first start by turning off all speech of the software.
I then wanted to start turning on speech for certain tasks as I needed them. So I navigated to the preferences and turned off all check boxes that looked like they trigger speech. After I saved and applied changes, I navigated around my PC and still heard a lot of speech. How can I disable ALL speech and still have NVDA running?

Roger Stewart

Just hit the NVDA key and S.  This will toggle you through speech mode off (this is what you want) speech mode beeps and speech mode talk which is what you want when using the screen reader.

Roger

On 12/8/2018 3:00 PM, Jeffrey McFarland wrote:
Hi everyone, I just started learning NVDA. So far, I really like the software. I'm
a software developer myself. What attracted me to NVDA is the open and
extensibility of the software. As a beginning learner of NVDA, I wanted to first start by turning off all speech of the software.
I then wanted to start turning on speech for certain tasks as I needed them. So I navigated to the preferences and turned off all check boxes that looked like they trigger speech. After I saved and applied changes, I navigated around my PC and still heard a lot of speech. How can I disable ALL speech and still have NVDA running?

You've already been told about using NVDA+S (typically INS+S, if using desktop keyboard layout) to toggle the NVDA Speech state.

I also wanted to mention the

NoBeepsSpeechMode

add on, which does exactly what its name implies:  eliminates the "beeps speech" mode, which I never found in the least way useful.  I either want speech on or off.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Yes what is the beeps mode for exactly?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

NoBeepsSpeechMode ( https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/noBeepsSpeechMode.en.html )

add on, which does exactly what its name implies: eliminates the "beeps speech" mode, which I never found in the least way useful. I either want speech on or off.

*A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep.*

~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Peter Beasley

                I have been meaning to ask this also. I can’t hear any beeps.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10