Topics

For users of SPL Studio and/or Windows 10 app Essentials add-ons: emergency patches for better compatibility with recent NvDA alpha snapshots for standalone update users #addonrelease

Hi all,

For users of StationPlaylist Studio and Windows 10 App Essentials add-ons: an emergency patch has been released for these add-ons to resolve compatibility issues with recent NVDA alpha releases. Specifically, these patches resolves the following:

Suppose you are using a recent NVDA alpha snapshot and one or both of the add-ons mentioned. If you are not using Add-on Updater add-on, these add-ons will use standalone add-on update feature that ships with add-ons themselves. The problem is that, with this set up, you won’t be able to check for updates for add-ons if you’re running NVDA alpha build 16401 or later. Also, after managing to update these add-ons, you won’t get restart prompt.

Today’s patches fixes this scenario. If you are in the situation I described, you need to apply today’s patches manually (go to addons.nvda-project.org, locate the add-on entries in question, and download stable version).

Note: today’s patches are not applicable if:

  1. You are using NVDA 2018.3.2 and/or 2018.4 beta.
  2. You are using Add-on Updater 18.12.2 or later.

Even then, I advise applying the patch when Add-on Updater says there are updates available.

Speaking of standalone add-on update checks from StationPlaylist Studio and Windows 10 App Essentials, they will be retired by February 2019 in favor of Add-on Updater (see a post I sent out about this a few days ago).

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

Interestingly, today when I updated to the new alpha as a portable on my windows 7 machine, with neither of these add ons present, when it had dealt with the incompatible add ons issue AGAIN, it then failed to restart the software, Nvda Locked and I could not boot into any version. I had to restart the machine.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-