voices for NVDA

Don H

I see, if I am reading it correctly, that there are two versions of Vocalizer Expressive voices for NVDA. One from Code factory and one from Nuance. Are there differences making one better than the other?
Thanks

Rui Fontes

Yes, they are two flavours of Vocalizer-Expressive for NVDA.

One from Tiflotecnia and other from CodeFactory.
Both use the Vocalizer-Expressive from Nuance.

Nuance itself does not sell any voices for NVDA.

Best regards,

Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.

Às 14:14 de 10/12/2018, Don H escreveu:

I see, if I am reading it correctly, that there are two versions of Vocalizer Expressive voices for NVDA.  One from Code factory and one from Nuance.  Are there differences making one better than the other?
Thanks

Don H

So is one better than the other?

On 12/10/2018 8:20 AM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Yes, they are two flavours of Vocalizer-Expressive for NVDA.
One from Tiflotecnia and other from CodeFactory.
Both use the Vocalizer-Expressive from Nuance.
Nuance itself does not sell any voices for NVDA.
Best regards,
Rui Fontes
Tiflotecnia, Lda.
Às 14:14 de 10/12/2018, Don H escreveu:
I see, if I am reading it correctly, that there are two versions of Vocalizer Expressive voices for NVDA.  One from Code factory and one from Nuance.  Are there differences making one better than the other?
Thanks

Vlad Dragomir

Don,

No, I wouldn’t say that one is better than the other. To be more exact, one might be better than the other for different people. Both have problems, and both Code Factory and Tiflotecnia seem to be more than happy to be paid, without caring much about quality. Here are a few things to be aware of:

  1. Code Factory Vocalizer comes with Eloquence as a pack, it’s cheaper, and you get two synthesizers. Vocalizer voices are being regularly updated, there are either new voices or new languages added once or twice per year. Say-all and spell-line commands do not work with Vocalizer, and if you send them emails to ask them to fix this, you only receive deep silence as a response, they seem to be too busy going on holidays and spending what they’ve got from us.
  2. Tiflotecnia are even more expensive, their driver seems to be a little more polished and less buggy. On the other hand, no new voices/languages, no updates for the last three years or so, but they are very good at promises. They did a good job at the beginning, and since then they enjoy living on rent.

This was a very subjective overview, which I hope will help you a bit. I suggest trying them both before making a decision. None is perfect, but only you can tell which is better for you.

Best regards,

Vlad.

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

Tiflotecnia enjoys making broken promises to list members, taking advantage of every new announcement to say that this is the reason why their update has been delayed. Their  representative has told us that there is a pending update coming for years now, and yet it still is not here. Now, the latest excuse is that we are waiting on Python 3 because releasing an update now would be a waste of time. Last year, it was that we were waiting on just a couple of more things, and the update would be released. The year before that, it was the same. Please, please do not give money to this company as they are nothing but a waste of your time, and I would go so far as to call them scammers. The product is buggy, the issues haven't been fixed, and no new features have been developed, no new voices added, etc. Newance should yank their license for being so deceptive and uncaring about their users. I feel strongly about this because I have seen so many promises broken by this company's representative that I cannot recommend anyone purchase this product and expect to get their money's worth, or updates or anything else.

Note that this is my personal opinion, and not that of NVAccess.

--
Cordially,

Nimer Jaber

Please take the time to read this signature completely as it contains
some information about the email you have just read and all
attachments contained within as well as some valuable resources and
methods for contacting me if you have any questions or wish to talk.

up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (658-0358) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Nimer,

I haven't bought anything from this company but any company that keeps breaking promises and is deceptive shouldn't even be in business. I won't say anything more.

Rosemarie

[...]

Gene

If you are interested in the Eloquence that comes with the Code Factory add-on, try the demo to be sure you want it.  The Eloquence has lots of annoying artifacts, sounds that shouldn't be there.

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 11:13 AM

[...]

I was a long long time user of Window Eyes and always used DecTalk. Never understood why people ever used Eloquence but I guess it is what you get used to.

On 12/10/2018 11:37 AM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Mike Sedmak

FWIW I have been using the Tiflotecnia vocalizer for several years.
While the drivers have not been updated, they have not been causing me
any trouble.
I like the vocalizer voices better than most other options on windows 7.

I have had license trouble a few times when migrating to a new
computer and Tiflotecnia helped me resolve my license issues within 2
days.

Mike

On 12/10/18, Don H <lmddh50@adams.net> wrote:
[...]

Its easier to understand words at fast rates of speech.  I can listen at about 350 or 400 words per minute with Eloquence and I don't have to stop as often to review a word.  the Dectalk voice is more pleasant sounding, but if you listen to Eloquence at faster speeds, the unpleasant raspy quality is mostly gone.  Also, Eloquence pronounces more words correctly.