tutorial for using a physical mouse

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

Are there any instructions that will help a total use a physical mouse with efficiency?

Quentin Christensen

Using a physical mouse is quite challenging, however, there are usually alternative ways of doing what you would have done with the mouse.

I would recommend the Basic Training for NVDA to learn to use the key ways:
- Windows keystrokes for things which have a built-in keyboard methods of accessing.
- NVDA keystrokes for functionality provided by the screen-reader.
- Object navigation and the Review Cursor: NVDA's comprehensive way of accessing items on screen which can't be otherwise accessed with the keyboard.

Object navigation is one of the big tools here, while the keys themselves are available from the User Guide https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#NavigatingWithNVDA they are quite complex and not necessarily obvious to a new user, which is particularly why I would recommend the training material as being a worthwhile investment for most users.

Coming back to the original question, and the other way of moving the mouse, is via the keyboard, either using Windows' built-in mousekeys accessibility feature, or via the NVDA add-on Golden Cursor (which essentially provides similar functionality to mousekeys but with many more options): https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/goldenCursor.en.html

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Gene

I don't know the technical aspects of this but as I understand it, when you move the mouse with NVDA and click it using NVDA, you are performing the same functions differently.  But if that is so, why are there some things you can't make do something when you click the NVDA mouse function?  There seems to be some difference.  Is there any way to work on that to make the NVDA mouse and the physical mouse do exactly the same thing?

This is the case with other screen-readers as well.

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 4:11 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] tutorial for using a physical mouse

[...]

Sarah k Alawami

One example is project fly. You can't click the home item or the stratus iem with the nvda mouse but you can with the physical mouse. Yeah odd eh? Only then will it expand into the bookings etc. You need the app in order for this to work by the way

Take care

Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 4:11 PM

[...]

As often as I've encouraged the use of the physical mouse for "quick and dirty" checking of what's on the screen if you suspect that you have a page that's not particularly accessible, given the number of years I've been tutoring JAWS I would never suggest that a blind user even try to use the mouse to do most of the things that a sighted person does with it.  Trying to do so usually is more difficult than using screen reader commands to do many "mousing" tasks.

I do, however, encourage laptop users to allow their mousepad to remain active so they have access to actual left and right click, but to cover the tracking area so that they are not accidentally moving the mouse.  It has several advantages:
  • giving you an actual left and right click button which you can easily and safely use.  Right click is preferable to SHIFT+F10 on machines lacking the applications/menu key and left click generally works just like (or sometimes better than) the screen reader left click command does.
  • making it very easy, when you wish a sighted person to assist, for them to uncover the tracking area and have instant access to the full mouse functionality
The Golden Cursor add-on is the closest I've ever seen to anything accurately mimicking physical mouse behavior, and for pages where objects are static that require a lot of "point and click" behavior it can be a great help.

I have also done "rigged mice" where when they were rollerball style, I would remove that rollerball so that the blind user could not accidentally move the mouse pointer, but had access to left and right click much as I describe it above for a mousepad on a laptop.  It's much easier to do now with optical mice as all one has to do is to tape over the little laser sensor on the bottom of the mouse (which also makes it easy to get back to "full mouse" function for a sighted assistant, too).

What it comes down to is that the ability to use the clicking function comes in handy on many occasions.  Pointing, not so much, since you really do need to be able to see to do that quickly and efficiently.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian's Mail list account <bglists@...>

You mean other than a tranquiliser? grin.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-