From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Sarah k Alawami
Sent: December 11, 2018 23:10
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] college course question

I doubt that will be accessible. You can try it, but I have not so far have
had any good experience with online medical anything thus far. I have to
deal with med stuff for my personal life and it is not accessible.

On 11 Dec 2018, at 17:48, The Wolf wrote:

Hello I am thinking about going to a college for a 9-month program in
medical billing and coding.

the online platform that the school uses is canvas

is this platform blind friendly? or should I just look in to other
colleges that use a different platform?

oh and I would be using nvda of course

unless the school disability office purchases jaws for me but I would
prefer to use nvda

thanks for any help you can give.

Hank

--
check out my song on YouTube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Antony Stone

Surely the question was about the college's teaching platform, not about
medical appointment applications?

There are very likely two questions here:

1. Does NVDA work with Canvas, the teaching platform used by this particular
college?

2. Does NVDA, or any other screen reader, work with the medical billing
systems which the student is likely to encounter after completing the training
course? Hopefully there will be a good element of this in the training course
itself.

Regards,

Antony.

On Wednesday 12 December 2018 at 14:57:23, Brian K. Lingard wrote:

Dear Sarah & List:

Friend of mine in Oregon swears by an App called My Chart.

Displays test results, doctor appointments, all easily read with Voiceover
on His iPhone X.
Brian K. Lingard

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf of Sarah k
Alawami Sent: December 11, 2018 23:10
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

I doubt that will be accessible. You can try it, but I have not so far have
had any good experience with online medical anything thus far. I have to
deal with med stuff for my personal life and it is not accessible.

On 11 Dec 2018, at 17:48, The Wolf wrote:
Hello I am thinking about going to a college for a 9-month program in
medical billing and coding.

the online platform that the school uses is canvas

is this platform blind friendly? or should I just look in to other
colleges that use a different platform?

oh and I would be using nvda of course

unless the school disability office purchases jaws for me but I would
prefer to use nvda

thanks for any help you can give.

Hank
--
"In fact I wanted to be John Cleese and it took me some time to realise that
the job was already taken."

- Douglas Adams

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Bravo, Antony!!  Having actually had a student of my own who was taking a medical coding and billing course that's precisely how I read the query, too.

Since most of these systems I've encountered in recent years are web based it makes accessibility much easier, regardless of the screen reader.  If they're not, then you're at the mercy of whether they've been scripted (in the case of JAWS) or not and, to some extent, the luck of the draw as certain applications just seem to be more accessible by chance than others are when accessibility was not specifically a part of their design specs.

A great many of the data entry systems for medical billing have now gone web-based as well.  Web-based access methods have proven to be an accessibility godsend simply because every major web browser is supported by the well-known screen readers.  Not that even these are necessarily perfect, but it's generally a matter of working out kinks.

The biggest problem I've had with institutions of higher learning and accessibility is that they still fail to understand that you can't just drop a blind person in, even one that is incredibly proficient with one or more screen readers, to a complex web application and have them be able to use it with the speed and proficiency of someone who can see (and has the advantage of being able to instantly ignore the parts that need to be ignored).   I have had to go to the mat in several local colleges to get them to understand that they needed to provide access to a "sandbox version" of their registration system, course material management system, and other odd bits to my students several months ahead of the time when they would be actual students so we could train on how to use those and they'd be ready to hit the academic ground running.  You cannot (at least not if you care about being in any way fair or providing reasonable accommodations) expect a blind student new to a given school to be trying to learn not only their course material but all of the systems they need to use at the same time that are simply much more tedious and hard to get acquainted with when a screen reader is required.

Hank is being very proactive in trying to determine how accessible or inaccessible what he's going to be expected to use actually is.  If the institution has a disability services person, and many do, these questions should be addressed to them.  If they don't know the answers and you're the "guinea pig blind student" (and I've had a couple of these as my students who were firsts at the schools they attended) then expect that you will have to be constantly advocating for yourself, educating your disability services person, and teaching people about what reasonable accommodations are all about.  Also be prepared in many cases to have scads of PDF materials distributed for courses that are image scanned PDFs from way back that you will have to OCR process to make accessible.  Then tell your instructors that they need to go back and do this on all image PDFs they intend to continue using.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Sarah k Alawami

Nice. But sadly they don't I don't think have that here, I'm not in the med field anymore but like I said I deal with many websites personally and yeah it's annoying.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf of Sarah k Alawami Sent: December 11, 2018 23:10 To: nvda@nvda.groups.io Subject: Re: [nvda] college course question

I doubt that will be accessible. You can try it, but I have not so far have had any good experience with online medical anything thus far. I have to deal with med stuff for my personal life and it is not accessible.

On 11 Dec 2018, at 17:48, The Wolf wrote:

Hello I am thinking about going to a college for a 9-month program in medical billing and coding.

the online platform that the school uses is canvas

is this platform blind friendly? or should I just look in to other colleges that use a different platform?

oh and I would be using nvda of course

unless the school disability office purchases jaws for me but I would prefer to use nvda

thanks for any help you can give.

Hank

-- check out my song on YouTube https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

By the way, The Lighthouse of Houston offers an 18-month distance learning medical transcription program, which is what my former JAWS student was planning to enroll in.  Additional information is available on this webpage:  https://www.houstonlighthouse.org/education-programs/

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Brian,

This is great to know. I used to be a medical transcriber years ago and Hadley used to have a medical transcription course years ago but they canceled it.

Rosemarie

On 12/12/2018 6:44 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
By the way, The Lighthouse of Houston offers an 18-month distance learning medical transcription program, which is what my former JAWS student was planning to enroll in.  Additional information is available on this webpage:  https://www.houstonlighthouse.org/education-programs/

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Sarah & List:
Try researching My Chart then ask your Doctors to consider running it. Not
sure if commercial or freeware.
Brian K. Lingard

I doubt that will be accessible. You can try it, but I have not so far
have
had any good experience with online medical anything thus far. I have
deal with med stuff for my personal life and it is not accessible.

On 11 Dec 2018, at 17:48, The Wolf wrote:

Hello I am thinking about going to a college for a 9-month program in
medical billing and coding.

the online platform that the school uses is canvas
re>>
is this platform blind friendly? or should I just look in to other
colleges that use a different platform?

oh and I would be using nvda of course

unless the school disability office purchases jaws for me but I would
prefer to use nvda

thanks for any help you can give.

Hank

--
check out my song on YouTube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Rose Marie et al & List:

I heard Hadley dropped their Medical Transcription course as it was unaccredited as well as low enrolment & dated.

Brian K. Lingard

This is great to know. I used to be a medical transcriber years ago and Hadley used to have a medical transcription course years ago but they canceled it.

Rosemarie

On 12/12/2018 6:44 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

By the way, The Lighthouse of Houston offers an 18-month distance learning medical transcription program, which is what my former JAWS student was planning to enroll in.  Additional information is available on this webpage:  https://www.houstonlighthouse.org/education-programs/

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Rosemarie Chavarria

Yes, they dropped it years ago because it was outdated.