last but not least on NVDA

Raha Tehrani

Dear all.
I am going to tell you about a very little difficulty on NVDA.
as you all know, while using JAWS, pressing the / "slash" key
navigates us around on different clickables in webpages. clickables
are kind of important these days. but there's no key defined for NVDA
to locate clickables on wepages. I think this can't be done by
developping a new addon. it should be developped by main NVDA
designers and programmers.
thanks again.
I hope they will read this mail and assign a key for clickables. /
"slash" seems to be fine.
take care.

Quentin Christensen

Hi Raha,

We do have an open issue for this feature: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/124

It is fairly old, but there has been gradual discussion on it and any comments you might add to it or use cases etc would be welcome.

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Twitter: @NVAccess

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

All this time and I still don't know what "clickable" means.  I assumed it is the same as a link.  Guess not, huh?  Up until now, I haven't found a need to search for them.  And then "wepages"?  I am confused.

Howard

On 12/13/2018 2:30 AM, Raha Tehrani wrote:
Dear all.
I am going to tell you about a very little difficulty on NVDA.
as you all know, while using JAWS, pressing the / "slash" key
navigates us around on different clickables in webpages. clickables
are kind of important these days. but there's no key defined for NVDA
to locate clickables on wepages. I think this can't be done by
developping a new addon. it should be developped by main NVDA
designers and programmers.
thanks again.
I hope they will read this mail and assign a key for clickables. /
"slash" seems to be fine.
take care.

Jonathan COHN

Clickable means that if you click the mouse in that area the web page will run a JavaScript routine, but that the web designer knows too little about accessibility to define the area as a link or button. ,  In some sites it will just bring up a dialog better describing what the section is about in other pages it performs a real action. For example in the time code entry system that I use, completed time entry is clickable and in order to adjust reported time one needs to click on the appropriate time entry field.

Raha Tehrani

Hi Howard.
"wepages" was a spelling mistake. I just wanted to write "webpages"
but I made a mistake and typed "wepages"
clickables are important elements on webpages. they are like buttons
and links. by either clicking on which, or pressing enter, or space,
you will be directed to another page. or perhaps a file is either
played or downloaded. in a nutshell, they are as important as links
and buttons. I see lots of them in webpages these days. in Jaws, you
can move on different clickables by pressing / "slash" key. you can
also have the list of clickables by pressing control+insert+/
but unfortunately, NVDA lacks such a thing. suppose you are visiting a
webpage which plays a radio station, the play and pause controls are
shown as clickables. and they are located in the middle of the page.
in JAWS you can reach them by simply pressing / "slash" key once or
twice. however, it takes you much more time reaching them using NVDA.
you should arrow down until you reach them.
take care.

On 12/13/18, Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Raha,

I now feel more informed.  Do appreciate it.

Howard