Reading pdf files and line structure

Felix G.

Dear community,
with the accessibility of pdf files varying as it does, I tend to
avoid them, but sometimes information is just not easily gained
through different means, so from time to time I have to read one. Just
today I discovered that with NVDA and Acrobat Reader DC, there are no
meaningful line breaks presented to me as I read the contents of a
pdf. For example, a line might ramble on like this:
Chapter 1 Getting Started This chapter serves as introduction ...
For an experiment, I switched to JAWS and there was presented with the
correct line structure:
Chapter 1
Getting Started
This chapter serves as introduction ...

Is there anything I am missing to configure in NVDA to read pdfs as expected?
All the best,
Felix

jeanbaptiste_pavani@...

I am encountering exactly the same problem, which is very burdensome insofar as PDF files are systematic in my work tasks. I would appreciate so much to hacve a solutio too, if this solution exists.

 Jean-Baptiste Pavani

Message du 16/12/18 11:00
De : "Felix G."
A : nvda@nvda.groups.io
Copie à :
Objet : [nvda] Reading pdf files and line structure

Dear community,
with the accessibility of pdf files varying as it does, I tend to
avoid them, but sometimes information is just not easily gained
through different means, so from time to time I have to read one. Just
today I discovered that with NVDA and Acrobat Reader DC, there are no
meaningful line breaks presented to me as I read the contents of a
pdf. For example, a line might ramble on like this:
Chapter 1 Getting Started This chapter serves as introduction ...
For an experiment, I switched to JAWS and there was presented with the
correct line structure:
Chapter 1
Getting Started
This chapter serves as introduction ...

Is there anything I am missing to configure in NVDA to read pdfs as expected?
All the best,
Felix

Try setting reading settings to "left to right, top to bottom reading order". See if that helps any.

with the accessibility of pdf files varying as it does, I tend to avoid them, but sometimes information is just not easily gained through different means, so from time to time I have to read one. Just today I discovered that with NVDA and Acrobat Reader DC, there are no meaningful line breaks presented to me as I read the contents of a pdf. For example, a line might ramble on like this:
Chapter 1 Getting Started This chapter serves as introduction ...
For an experiment, I switched to JAWS and there was presented with the correct line structure:
Chapter 1
Getting Started
This chapter serves as introduction ...

Is there anything I am missing to configure in NVDA to read pdfs as expected?
All the best,
Felix

Desert Moon

Hello Felix,

In case you have not run through accessibility preferences:

https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/reader/using/accessibility-features.html

You can also try Read Out Loud built into Adobe Reader.

--
Desert

Felix G.

Hello,