my experience using NVDA with a touchscreen

molly the blind tech lover

Hey guys, Molly here again.

I wanted to share my experience using NVDA with a touchscreen.

So I have a Microsoft Surface tablet. It’s one of those pc’s where you can disconnect the keyboard from the touchscreen. I love touchscreen devices, so I was hoping to use it like an iPad. However, it soon became clear that there are far more keyboard commands for NVDA than touch gestures. You can do basic things like swipe and double tap, and even activate the NVDA menu by doing a 2 finger double tap. However, you can’t start NVDA using the touchscreen. For some reason I found myself getting stuck in a particular area of the screen and unable to get out of it. I don’t think there’s a touch gesture to close apps.  I also haven’t found a way to check the time and battery status using the touchscreen. Basically, if you just use the touchscreen, you won’t have a lot of the commands you would have using the keyboard.  I found that  connecting the keyboard is much more efficient. Even using Narrator with the touchscreen is hard sometimes. While I appreciate that NVDA supports touch gestures, I would still recommend for anyone to use a physical keyboard. I’m glad I purchased the keyboard. Sold separately, apparently.

Devin Prater

Have you tried the enhanced touch gestures add-on?

On Dec 16, 2018, at 10:26 AM, molly the blind tech lover <brainardmolly@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi,

There isn’t really a time and battery status command in touchscreens because they are located on the bottom right side of the screen (doesn’t matter if it is landscape or portrait). This is similar to iPad where you can check time and battery status via the status bar (topmost group of controls on the screen).

In regards to general touchscreen use: it isn’t enough to learn commands provided by the screen reader. Part of what makes touchscreen useful is knowing where things are. For example, on Windows, the screen is typically laid out thus:

  • An app window, below of which is the taskbar and other user interface elements.
  • An app window consists of a band of controls on top for manipulating windows, the content area (including the menu bar/ribbon area), and in some programs, status bars and toolbars.
  • The top band is further divided into the title bar on the left, and window controls (maximize button, minimize button, close button and such) on the right.
  • In some programs, the menu bar is located below the title bar. Some newer programs lack this, and some will come with ribbon (a band of contextual toolbars), most notably in Microsoft Office applications since 2007.
  • Below the menu bar are several band of controls containing contextual buttons.
  • Below the toolbars is the content area (a document, a spreadsheet, a presentation, a media playback area, etc.).
  • In some programs, below the content area sits one or more status bars.
  • Various toolbars may exist on the sides.
  • Below the app window is either the taskbar and other elements, or in some cases, an app may lie on top of another one.
  • The bottom controls on screen consists of (from left to right): Start button, various toolbars and buttons, taskbar, one or more additional buttons, notification area (system tray which contains clock, network status, volume, and on mobile devices, power and battery status, additional icons including that of NVDA), and Show Desktop button (which briefly minimizes all apps and shows icons on the desktop).
  • Various Windows releases may show additional buttons and toolbars on the bottom of the screen (besides taskbar and Start button), including Search and Task View buttons in Windows 10, touch keyboard toggle on tablets, and other controls.

At some point in 2019, I will ask NVDA developers if they can document what I just described to you in the user guide, specifically when introducing touchscreen commands. I will also make sure to remind anyone producing touchscreen tutorials of any kind to introduce what’s on screen before introducing touch commands (including a potentially fourth edition of Welcome to NvDA tutorial series).

There is an add-on called Enhanced Touch Gestures that makes touchscreen usage a bit easier

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/enhancedTouchGestures.en.html

Cheers,

Joseph

[...]

Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...>

You can create new gestures for functions that NVDA handles that do't have gestures by default.  If you want a gesture to speak the time, simply add one to the list of touch gestures, I don't have the exact procedure for performing this task, but it's a relatively straightforward process.  Also, you'll want to install the add-on for touch gestures, as it adds a few more for you.  I have a desktop machine running windows 8.1, but it has a touch screen on it, and I find myself reaching up to the screen from time to time to do things that take too long with the keyboard, especially if I'm just passing by, and want to check something, and don't feel like sitting down, getting the keyboard, putting on the headphones, then performing said function, it's a lot faster to just perform the touch gesture, and get the results immediately.

On 12/16/2018 11:26 AM, molly the blind tech lover wrote:

[...]

As mentioned, the procedure is pretty simple to add a gesture.  I just added one for testing, that with a two finger doubletap tells me the time.

Simply open the NVDA menues,

go to preferences,

input gestures,

system status,

then the first option under that is the description of the shift f12 key, if pressed once, reports time, if pressed twice, reports the date.  You'll want to expand that, then tab to add gesture button.

After that, just perform the gesture you want to speak the time, press enter, and you're all done.

You can use this process to add gestures to any NVDA key function that is listed in that whole series of commands list.  Hope this helps.

On 12/16/2018 11:44 AM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

no i haven't i hadn't heard of that add on before. i'll have to check it out.

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018, 11:33 am Devin Prater <r.d.t.prater@... wrote:
[...]

Jonathan Milam

Along these same lines, I just received a WIN 8.1 Zeki tablet.  Should it theoretically be able to run NVDA with touch screen capability?

Thanks,

Jonathan

[...]

Probably. I think touchscreen capability was introduced in Windows 8.

[...]

Yes, Janathan, if you have a windows 8.1 tablet, it should most certainly be able to run NVDA with no trouble at all, and the touch screen gestures should work just fine.

On 12/20/2018 10:05 AM, Jonathan Milam wrote:

[...]

Hi.

I sometimes disconnect the keyboard just to use the touchscreen. Great for watching movies.

[...]

Thanks very much for the confirmation. This definitely helps!!

Jonathan